Villa Heights Projects

emansius

Not sure if this was posted before, but here's a decent retail conversion of an aging pair of industrial buildings at N. Davidson and 24th. Doesn't really engage the street at all, but should help in bringing more activity to this stretch of N. Davidson.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/017-031/2017-031 site plan.pdf

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 3.01.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 3.01.40 PM.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ This industrial to strip center conversion makes me throw up a little in my mouth,

I don't love the new design but this feels like an improvement for sure.  It also doesn't feel like a "strip center" (too small, focused on restaurants).  Also, like re-purposing an old industrial building vs. throwing up a new POS in it's place.  I respect your opinion so I'm wondering why you dislike it?    

On 12/19/2016 at 3:04 PM, emansius said:

Not sure if this was posted before, but here's a decent retail conversion of an aging pair of industrial buildings at N. Davidson and 24th. Doesn't really engage the street at all, but should help in bringing more activity to this stretch of N. Davidson.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/017-031/2017-031 site plan.pdf

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 3.01.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 3.01.40 PM.png

Didn't realize this was Cordelia Park Adjacent. Gosh, if only that park would get it crap together. It could use a $8-10M redo and it would be fantastic.

1 minute ago, Spartan said:

It seems like we have a decent handful of projects and a neighborhood that deserves its own thread. Villa Heights is located between Matheson and Parkwood for those unfamiliar with the area.

between Matheson and Parkwood on the South East Side of North Davidson. Thank you for getting this out of the Noda Thread, it was causing me great strife.

Edited by Guest

I realize that west of North Davidson, for reasons I don't understand, considered Optimist Park. But, I think in the long run everything from Matheson to Parkwood gets absorbed into Villa Heights in the same way that Little Sugar Creek is the de facto line between Belmont and OP even though N Davidson St my be preferred by Belmont.

I realize that west of North Davidson, for reasons I don't understand, considered Optimist Park. But, I think in the long run everything from Matheson to Parkwood gets absorbed into Villa Heights in the same way that Little Sugar Creek is the de facto line between Belmont and OP even though N Davidson St my be preferred by Belmont.

I just worked on the branding campaign for Optimist Park, who is launching a website, so I don't think they are going to let themselves be absorbed by anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't sure where to put this post because its encompassing Dilworth/Sedgefield and Villa Heights, but... has anyone gone through Villa Heights and/or the Ideal Way area of West Dilworth (like the Atherton St loop, just to the east of Poindexter in Sedgefield)?

This part of Dilworth is practically 95% new construction, and it's like looking through a lens at what Villa Heights may potentially look like in 5-10 years. While some homes are attracrive, most of them are boxy, garage-door-in-the-front behemoths that don't seem to know what they want to be. I remember living in Sedgefield and all those homes were tiny nondescript sructures (which makes it understandable), but this new post-recession era of home builders areally all doing the same ecat thing. There clearly seems to be a trend in Charlotte of wanting houses that seem fancy but aren't necessarily well-built. Makes me worried about Villa Heights. Anyone else notice?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 1 month later...

Those empty parcels on the eastern corner of VH, next to the Plaza (the ones that clearly used to all be homes that were condemned years ago) is up for sale for $14 million... 12.29 acres. Am I reading that right?

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/1801-Catawba-Ave-28205/home/43925534

Zoned R22MF I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Well I know what I'll be checking out this weekend during my trip to ATL! Thompkins is easily the number one project I am most excited about opening this year. 

Krog St. Market is awesome (love the neighborhood too, check out their greenway starting there) and I think judging by the plans we've seen, Thompkins really is going to be very similar in scale and breakdown of uses. I know that has been the talking point for a while now, but I was initially skeptical. ATL's food scene is much more developed than ours so they have some pretty sophisticated tenants for a food hall, and I think our starting lineup may be a little more basic, but its the perfect testing ground for more unique concepts. 

I'd also recommend checking out Ponce City Market while you're there just to see what the possibilities are. It's a much more massive multi-level food hall with residences above, and is actually connected to the same greenway. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...