Villa Heights Projects

emansius

38 minutes ago, nicholas said:

A while back, one of my cousins was telling me how cool it would be to start a restaurant called The Pho King Restaurant.  Sadly, that never materialized.

That's a real restaurant in Mission Viejo, CA except it is called Pho King Way.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Cross-posting with the Optimist Park thread about the 25th Street Bridge (these neighborhoods are way too subdivided IMO):

10/12/2018

This project is now in the utility relocation phase. During this phase, utility infrastructure such as underground gas, water and sewer lines, as well as overhead power, telephone and television lines, are moved as needed to make way for construction of the project improvements. By the end of this year, the City will invite contractors to submit bids to construct the project, and construction is expected to start by mid-2019.

• Like 1

^subdivided, and maybe a little territorial... the Optimist Park folks apparently took exception to the "Belmont" marker placed at the corner of Parkwood and NorthDavidson... to the point that someone installed "Optimist Park" lettering on the knee walls surrounding the "Belmont" pilaster, and then put an arrow below the word "Belmont".  I guess this is to make sure no one confuses that side of the creek as Belmont when Belmont starts all the way on the other side of the creek. 300 feet away.

before

after:

23 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

^subdivided, and maybe a little territorial... the Optimist Park folks apparently took exception to the "Belmont" marker placed at the corner of Parkwood and NorthDavidson... to the point that someone installed "Optimist Park" lettering on the knee walls surrounding the "Belmont" pilaster, and then put an arrow below the word "Belmont".  I guess this is to make sure no one confuses that side of the creek as Belmont when Belmont starts all the way on the other side of the creek. 300 feet away

before

after:

Historically, and interestingly, the neighborhood borders make sense, as odd as they seem nowadays:

Optimist Park was a company village that ran parallel to the rail line for obvious reasons, making its linear shape,.

North Charlotte (NoDa) was essentially the same thing that ended up booming even more further down the line.

Then Belmont was a suburb that was initially designed around its natural water spring around the creek (hence its "Belmont Springs" moniker), and later had a second phase developed alongside Hawthorne Mill was built on Louise. The newer full "Belmont" neighborhood extended over to Catawba Ave in what is now Villa Heights (hence the contiguous street grid that ends at Catawba Ave) .

Then Villa Heights was a post-WWII suburb that snaked up the center to fill in the gap, with ranches that would fit in in any post-war boomer neighborhood.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

^subdivided, and maybe a little territorial... the Optimist Park folks apparently took exception to the "Belmont" marker placed at the corner of Parkwood and NorthDavidson... to the point that someone installed "Optimist Park" lettering on the knee walls surrounding the "Belmont" pilaster, and then put an arrow below the word "Belmont".  I guess this is to make sure no one confuses that side of the creek as Belmont when Belmont starts all the way on the other side of the creek. 300 feet away.

before

after:

Yeah.  I recently moved from Noda to Villa Heights.  When I describe Villa Heights to most people they seem confused why I say I actually left Noda.  To them that is Noda.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

this rezoning was approved last night after some further changes.

""Revolve Residential's petition to build 14 single-family homes and four townhouses, and to allow the reuse of an existing building, at a 2.6-acre block bounded by Charles Avenue, Whiting Avenue, Spencer Street and Clemson Avenue. The site plan changed multiple times over several months before arriving at Monday night's vote because some neighbors expressed myriad concerns with the project and its perceived impact on the area. Revolve reduced the number of total units in the project from 20 to 18 and limited what could be allowed in the existing building further to disallow events space, a sticking point with some area residents. During its public hearing, Revolve said it planned to offer all four townhouses eligibility for the city's HouseCharlotte program, but the latest site plan indicates two would now be eligible, likely owing to the overall reduction of units on site. Council member Larken Egleston, whose district includes NoDa, thanked the petitioners and residents for working together, adding the removal of the events space allayed most of the remaining concerns. Council voted unanimously in support of the petition.""

from the Business Journal recap of the zoning meeting   https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/12/18/contentious-residential-project-in-noda-approved.html

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2018 at 7:47 AM, KJHburg said:

this rezoning was approved last night after some further changes.

""Revolve Residential's petition to build 14 single-family homes and four townhouses, and to allow the reuse of an existing building, at a 2.6-acre block bounded by Charles Avenue, Whiting Avenue, Spencer Street and Clemson Avenue. The site plan changed multiple times over several months before arriving at Monday night's vote because some neighbors expressed myriad concerns with the project and its perceived impact on the area. Revolve reduced the number of total units in the project from 20 to 18 and limited what could be allowed in the existing building further to disallow events space, a sticking point with some area residents. During its public hearing, Revolve said it planned to offer all four townhouses eligibility for the city's HouseCharlotte program, but the latest site plan indicates two would now be eligible, likely owing to the overall reduction of units on site. Council member Larken Egleston, whose district includes NoDa, thanked the petitioners and residents for working together, adding the removal of the events space allayed most of the remaining concerns. Council voted unanimously in support of the petition.""

from the Business Journal recap of the zoning meeting   https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/12/18/contentious-residential-project-in-noda-approved.html

We keep fighting to reduce units in developments like these and then wonder why Charlotte has gentrification/affordable housing issues :tw_rage:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This will be a big community for Villa Heights that  David Weekley is building .

""Central Living by David Weekley Homes, the high-density division of the Houston-based homebuilder, will begin construction this summer on a community generally bounded by Drummond Avenue and Everett Place, Union Street, Duncan Avenue and Catawba Avenue. The development will include 68 paired homes, 56 townhouses and three single-family homes, with price points starting in the mid-$300,000 range.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/12/homebuilder-to-develop-dense-for-sale-housing-in.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

David Weekley has great product I went in one of the first Central Living developments in and up and coming area south of downtown San Antonio and they have been building these Central Living homes for a long time in Houston.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Free Range Brewery building next to the new apts have received a facelift on the N Davidson St-facing side.

I know you must be so happy @j-man, lol, but this Reno is so ugly to me. It looks like it belongs in the trendiest of suburbs.

Luckily Free Range itself still has it's raw red brick facade.

EDIT: It's a gloomy day (and from my car), so the paint is actually a strong gray color, to be fair based on these pics.

IMG_20190325_131520.jpg

IMG_20190325_131522.jpg

IMG_20190325_145026.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

The Free Range Brewery building next to the new apts have received a facelift on the N Davidson St-facing side.

I know you must be so happy @j-man, lol, but this Reno is so ugly to me. It looks like it belongs in the trendiest of suburbs.

Luckily Free Range itself still has it's raw red brick facade.

EDIT: It's a gloomy day (and from my car), so the paint is actually a strong gray color, to be fair based on these pics.

IMG_20190325_131520.jpg

IMG_20190325_131522.jpg

IMG_20190325_145026.jpg

I’m only happy with what got painted. I think everyone thinks that I want all brick painted. No. It’s just the dull red/brown bricks that just look like blah. Like the bricks that are all over the older buildings in SouthEnd. I love lighter tan, light brown and grey bricks. Idk that mid tone brown is just so unattractive to me lol.

Edited by j-man
  • Thanks 1