Villa Heights Projects

emansius

On 5/13/2019 at 2:02 PM, archiham04 said:

I don't know where the spring is, but if I were looking Id start here:

On 5/14/2019 at 11:27 AM, Desert Power said:

There is certainly something up there.  Always noticeably cooler too

There is a man-made rock structure up at the top of that little rivulet(?), It looks like something that would have been built by people under the New Deal era. It seems like it was built as a seating area around a (very)  small spring "waterfall" thing, but has since b come a spot people swuat and kids play out of sight

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 7:51 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

There is a man-made rock structure up at the top of that little rivulet(?), It looks like something that would have been built by people under the New Deal era. It seems like it was built as a seating area around a (very)  small spring "waterfall" thing, but has since b come a spot people swuat and kids play out of sight

Sounds like that is as good an answer as we can give @Desert Power

2 hours ago, CLT-704 said:

The '2501 The Plaza' project (https://42floors.com/us/nc/charlotte/2501-the-plz) was created as  a project with the county plan review department on 5/9.  Id guess we're a month or so away from demo then construction. 

Right across the street from where these signs just went up this week (2501 in the background). I assume construction of these homes will begin very soon to deliver by Fall of this year.

20190516_195736.jpg

Edited by NYCLT
  • Like 3

On 5/18/2019 at 8:18 AM, CLT-704 said:

The '2501 The Plaza' project (https://42floors.com/us/nc/charlotte/2501-the-plz) was created as  a project with the county plan review department on 5/9.  Id guess we're a month or so away from demo then construction. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/161516/villa-heights-development/ Anyone know of any tenants in this location? I really like the renderings for the multiple decks. 

Also, I thought I saw a leasing sign for a new development about a block or 2 north of this location on the East side of Plaza, but I couldn't find any information on here about a potential new site. Does anyone have any more information?

For those who recall active Marxist Leninism, or who read and remember it from history classes, The Collective inspires this concept (from wiki):

Main article: New Soviet man

Collectivism was an important part of Marxist–Leninist ideology in the Soviet Union, where it played a key part in forming the New Soviet man, willingly sacrificing his or her life for the good of the collective. Terms such as "collective" and "the masses" were frequently used in the official language and praised in agitprop literature, for example by Vladimir Mayakovsky (Who needs a "1") and Bertolt Brecht (The Decision, Man Equals Man).[10

When I saw the name of this development the first thing I thought of was the definition above and hoping that the developer and his advertising and naming consultants were high-fiveing  when this was proposed.  "Be part of the collective! Give up your soul for the masses!"     Well, maybe not

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As I was running by the old Joe's Doughs and Abari building this morning I noticed a sign on the Joe's Doughs door that said something about 'Skate'.  Then I looked in the parking lot and saw a half pipe being built.  I checked the WebPermit site, nothing new as of yet.  I'm wondering if this is where the Skate shop that closed in Plaza could be moving to. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2019 at 11:21 AM, CLT-704 said:

As I was running by the old Joe's Doughs and Abari building this morning I noticed a sign on the Joe's Doughs door that said something about 'Skate'.  Then I looked in the parking lot and saw a half pipe being built.  I checked the WebPermit site, nothing new as of yet.  I'm wondering if this is where the Skate shop that closed in Plaza could be moving to. 

Eastway Crossing

So what is the plan for connecting 25th street station to, well, anything? I got off there with friends visiting Charlotte to go to Amelies and Free Range, and walking up to the intersection and back to Amelies was ridiculous and half of the sidewalks were closed.  You literally get off the train and there is just a wall of barbed wire enclosed industrial properties. Is the City counting on some developer to out of the kindness of their heart incorporate a pedestrian walkway into a future development? Why is the stop even there? It seems bizarre that they go from 7th to a completely unnecessary 9th street station that is a stone’s throw away, then a 25th street station serving ... what? Who?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brendv7 said:

So what is the plan for connecting 25th street station to, well, anything? I got off there with friends visiting Charlotte to go to Amelies and Free Range, and walking up to the intersection and back to Amelies was ridiculous and half of the sidewalks were closed.  You literally get off the train and there is just a wall of barbed wire enclosed industrial properties. Is the City counting on some developer to out of the kindness of their heart incorporate a pedestrian walkway into a future development? Why is the stop even there? It seems bizarre that they go from 7th to a completely unnecessary 9th street station that is a stone’s throw away, then a 25th street station serving ... what? Who?

If you look at a map of the area, 25th St feeds all the way into Villa Heights, making a very easy side-street connection to people closer to The Plaza who would otherwise need to brave Parkwood/Plaza to get to Parkwood Station.

The City is building the bridge, and their website says it will start by the end of this Summer. Obviously 25th St Station is on an Isla d of sorts at this time, but it is a worthy and functional long term location for a station in an area that certainly deserves some activity and foot traffic. 

It's a major bummer the city stopped the rail trail at the creek crossing on N Brevard St, but I can tell you as an every-day citizen of that stretch, it is such a quiet side street that people living there don't seem to mind the lack of sidewalks - at that, yes developers will probably build some sidewalks on those two blocks in the years to come! 

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

The City is building the bridge, and their website says it will start by the end of this Summer. Obviously 25th St Station is on an Isla d of sorts at this time, but it is a worthy and functional long term location for a station in an area that certainly deserves some activity and foot traffic. 

That update is over 8 months old ...

7 hours ago, CLT> said:

This is what the plan is for the area to look like when the XCLT trail is complete, which is actually very different from the TOD station area plan, but welcome to Charlotte:

529156816_ScreenShot2019-06-26at5_38_22PM.thumb.png.133de7afbb58e1381b9f0bc006d915bb.png

I had not heard about those two pedestrian / bike crossings over the creek before (one in between 25th and 26th the other at 26th). Those will be a serious boon to circulation over there. 

A couple of others down at the 23rd, 24th area would have also been big.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I'm not sure I understand what's "very different" from the station area plan. It seems like the guiding principals of extending the greenway and 25th street are in place. Are you referring to how the XCLT will go up and over on Matheson? 

More that there is only one roadway crossing the creek between Jordan and Parkwood. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it just limits connectivity to the rail stations. It's also something that might change with private developers putting in pedestrian connections across the XCLT trail.

1748648902_ScreenShot2019-06-27at12_29_45AM.thumb.png.27ad770be6a5973c320102d3dea3d1dc.png

960866274_ScreenShot2019-06-27at12_27_23AM.thumb.png.3ddf7546e40b0ae53734709a3885fcad.png

• Like 2

However, as I recall, there is no funding for this part of the XCLT currently?  

It’s funded up to here I think. It’s when it gets past Matheson I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...