Conservative andl Liberal Cities: Where Does Charlotte Rank ?

Dale

Interesting study from 2014. No surprises for me on Most-Conservative and Most-Liberal. Charlotte lands in category of Conservative-Leaning cities.

Surprises for me ...

LA is less-liberal than Austin.

San Diego and Denver are less-liberal than Miami and Atlanta.

NYC is less-liberal than Seattle.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/05/mesa-arizona-most-conservative-big-city/13641061/

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Los Angeles is 53% religious vs. 49% for the USA as a whole. The city is nearly 50% Hispanic vs. 30% white. The white minority in Los Angeles is very liberal and atheist (and gets most of the attention nationally. The white population is far richer), but the Hispanic majority is mainly Catholic and fiscally Democrat, but socially still conservative (and ignored as the working underclass, so not on the radar for national perception).

Doesn't surprise me a majority white city like Austin would be more liberal than LA.

What? Conservative-Leaning? lol 

You just have to look at our city council, and election results to easily dispute that. 

I'd say we're more Liberal-Leaning, and not as liberal as Wake and Orange Counties. It is the south/southeastern wedge that makes us more conservative than those two counties.

16 hours ago, CLT704 said:

What? Conservative-Leaning? lol 

You just have to look at our city council, and election results to easily dispute that. 

I'd say we're more Liberal-Leaning, and not as liberal as Wake and Orange Counties. It is the south/southeastern wedge that makes us more conservative than those two counties.

The city council is not a solid indicator. Heavily Democratic ? Yes. Heavily liberal ? No.

2 hours ago, southslider said:

Generally, all US cities are relatively more liberal than their own states. Salt Lake City is more liberal than Utah. Birmingham is more liberal than Alabama.

People living near many other people are largely for open societies.

I don't think anyone would dispute that cities are more liberal than their states (for what that's worth). It would be interesting to me to study metros as opposed to cities proper, as I suspect this one does. Miami here ranks as more liberal than Miami. But Trump won a majority in Atlanta metro, whereas Hillary Clinton won Miami-Dade handily.   

18 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Los Angeles is 53% religious vs. 49% for the USA as a whole. The city is nearly 50% Hispanic vs. 30% white. The white minority in Los Angeles is very liberal and atheist (and gets most of the attention nationally. The white population is far richer), but the Hispanic majority is mainly Catholic and fiscally Democrat, but socially still conservative (and ignored as the working underclass, so not on the radar for national perception).

Doesn't surprise me a majority white city like Austin would be more liberal than LA.

Omaha is 73% white compared to Austin's 68% and is a bonafide conservative city. It even has a Republican mayor.

Austin is an odd bird in that it is certainly more socially liberal than the rest of Texas, but almost always votes against mass-transit improvements.

20 hours ago, Dale said:

Interesting study from 2014. No surprises for me on Most-Conservative and Most-Liberal. Charlotte lands in category of Conservative-Leaning cities.

Surprises for me ...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/05/mesa-arizona-most-conservative-big-city/13641061/

It seems that the cities with the older populations are the more conservative. After most young people turn 40, they become realistic and conservative. Hopefully that 40 will become 35 soon. As people get older, priorities shift and things like national security, immigration, etc. are top of the list instead of student loan amnesty, etc. 

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Omaha is 73% white compared to Austin's 68% and is a bonafide conservative city. It even has a Republican mayor.

Austin is an odd bird in that it is certainly more socially liberal than the rest of Texas, but almost always votes against mass-transit improvements.

Most of the people that live in Omaha are Nebraska born and raised. Nebraska is a conservative state. Those in Austin are from other states that are more liberal than Texans. That is the same in most booming sunbelt cities with influxes of outsiders moving in. 

5 hours ago, Dale said:

The city council is not a solid indicator. Heavily Democratic ? Yes. Heavily liberal ? No.

Democrats tend to be more liberal than Republicans, so I think it's an indicator of Charlotte being Liberal-Leaning.

2 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

It seems that the cities with the older populations are the more conservative. After most young people turn 40, they become realistic and conservative. Hopefully that 40 will become 35 soon. As people get older, priorities shift and things like national security, immigration, etc. are top of the list instead of student loan amnesty, etc. 

Well, as a young, Democratic-voter (who has voted Republican once- McCrory), national security and immigration are definitely some of the more important factors I take into consideration when voting. Do we take different approaches to each factor? Absolutely. However those are not my top priorities: healthcare, environment, and economic policy are mine. 

When I was in my twenties, I was rabidly conservative to the point of alienating others.  As I've aged, I realized I was wrong about 50% of things I thought I knew.  I am definitely less conservative as a 47 year old than as a 20 year old.  I have consistently thought both parties were corrupt and full of sh*t...

23 hours ago, Dale said:

Surprises for me ...

San Diego is more conservative due largely to the military population (active and retired)...

Archived