Downtown Greensboro is getting a Westin Hotel

cityboi

For several years now a high-rise Wyndham Luxury Hotel had been plannwd to be built above the Elm Street Center but according to Starwoods website,  a Westin Hotel is planned for that location and it lists a 2019 opening date. So not only is Downtown Greensboro getting an Aloft, it appears that Westin is on the way as well! Downtown is going through a hotel boom. A Hyatt Place hotel is already under construction near the site of the planned Aloft anda Hampton Inn and Suites is being planned as well

http://m.starwoodhotels.com/corporate/directory/hotels/north-america/us/nc/detail.html?language=en_US

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

FOX 8 reports on future downtown Greensboro hotels which currently includes the Hyatt Place  (under construction ), Aloft Greensboro and the Westin Greensboro 

http://myfox8.com/2016/12/30/greensboro-getting-three-new-hotels-including-boutique-chain-aloft-hotel/

Edited by cityboi

• 3 weeks later...

there was an earlier rendering which showed a little of the front of the building along Elm Street when it was proposed to be a Wyndham. The design has probably been changed a few times since then. I do know the building will at least be 8 stories which will sit above a 3 to 4 story parking deck (11 to 12 stories). If the room total has been increased, it would likely be even taller.

• 2 months later...

We now know the location of one of the planned parking decks downtown. The parking deck will stretch a little over a block at the corner of East Market and Davie Streets. It will be built over February One Pl, connect to the Elm Street Center and the Westin Hotel will sit on top of the south end of the deck. The deck will have aesthetics and the design will mirror the design of the hotel. Two things that will make it unique in downtown Greensboro. It will go over a street and it will have ground level retail and restaurants along Davie Street. They are probably going to do something unique with the design to make it not look like a parking deck. City Council will vote to purchase the land for the deck tonight. Construction will start on the Westin in early 2018 which means the deck will have to be built sooner. 

http://myfox8.com/2017/04/17/city-plans-new-parking-deck

Edited by cityboi

On 4/18/2017 at 5:08 AM, cityboi said:

We now know the location of one of the planned parking decks downtown. The parking deck will stretch a little over a block at the corner of East Market and Davie Streets. It will be built over February One Pl, connect to the Elm Street Center and the Westin Hotel will sit on top of the south end of the deck. The deck will have aesthetics and the design will mirror the design of the hotel. Two things that will make it unique in downtown Greensboro. It will go over a street and it will have ground level retail and restaurants along Davie Street. They are probably going to do something unique with the design to make it not look like a parking deck. City Council will vote to purchase the land for the deck tonight. Construction will start on the Westin in early 2018 which means the deck will have to be built sooner. 

http://myfox8.com/2017/04/17/city-plans-new-parking-deck

Greensboro city council votes to purchase property for parking deck and enters an agreement with the Westin Hotel developers. The deck is expected to cost $30 million. Its a pricy deck with pricy amenities. Construction costs for this deck will be more than the ballpark construction back in 2005. I believe it will be the only parking deck that goes over a street in the state. The hotel is proposed to be 8 stories and the deck will be around 6 or 7 stories. With the hotel sitting on the deck it will be around 14 or 15 stories. If designed correctly, it should look like one massive mixed use building stretching over a block with a hotel tower on the end of it. 

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is the latest info on the Westin Greensboro. According to the Rhino Times which got its information from the city, the parking deck will be 6-stories. The Westin hotel will be 11-stories which will sit on top of the south end of the deck. This means the Westin hotel will stand 17-stories tall. The city will own the deck but the Westin will control the mixed-use component on the first floor of the deck. It is expected to be retail, office and maybe restaurants.

through my investigation on downtown projects I found a website that appears to show a rendering of the Westin Greensboro from Davie Street. The website is in Chinese but my mobile device translated it into English. The design shows 8 stories over a 6 story parking deck so I'm not sure how old the rendering is itself but there is a 2016 date next to the rendering. The Rhino is reporting 11-stories over a 6 story parking deck. Obviously the rendering is outdated being that the deck it will sit on will cross over the street and extend a block. In terms of the design itself, it may or may not be the final design. But even in this rendering you can see retail and restaurants on the ground level of the deck. It looks like CJMW Architecture of Winston-Salem is designing the hotel.

???EB-5??????(?????)???...-?????-??????????

640.jpeg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, cityboi said:

through my investigation on downtown projects I found a website that appears to show a rendering of the Westin Greensboro from Davie Street. The website is in Chinese but my mobile device translated it into English. The design shows 8 stories over a 6 story parking deck so I'm not sure how old the rendering is itself but there is a 2016 date next to the rendering. The Rhino is reporting 11-stories over a 6 story parking deck. Obviously the rendering is outdated being that the deck it will sit on will cross over the street and extend a block. In terms of the design itself, it may or may not be the final design. But even in this rendering you can see retail and restaurants on the ground level of the deck. It looks like CJMW Architecture of Winston-Salem is designing the hotel.

???EB-5??????(?????)???...-?????-??????????

640.jpeg

This doesn't look too bad in my opinion. Especially if there will be a few more floors added. But what I'm really hoping to see is the announcements for apartments and/or condo towers in downtown. The more residents downtown, the more activity. But out of town hotel guests will provide some activity too.

Wonder what the projected glass box windows are about? Its not a bad design but its not a great one. They did a good job camoufloging the parking deck. My guess is that this is not the final final rendering. We know that anyway with the new parking deck configuration and latest reports show its 3 stories taller.  Looks a little basic to be a final design. It seems like all the downtown projects in Greensboro go through a series of design changes. This would be the second one for this hotel. The preforming arts center went through six design changes. 

Edited by cityboi

13 hours ago, cityboi said:

Wonder what the projected glass box windows are about? Its not a bad design but its not a great one. They did a good job camoufloging the parking deck. My guess is that this is not the final final rendering. We know that anyway with the new parking deck configuration and latest reports show its 3 stories taller.  Looks a little basic to be a final design. It seems like all the downtown projects in Greensboro go through a series of design changes. This would be the second one for this hotel. The preforming arts center went through six design changes. 

Yeah, this is a good basic start. The glassbox windows I assume would be suites or balconies or something like that. The final design will look way different, and should have three more floors on it.

• 2 months later...

Sale of Dixie Building marks next step in the building of the Westin Greensboro  downtown. The parking lot behind the Dixie Building will be turned into a 6 story parking deck. The deck will then cross over February One Pl  and the hotel will be built on top of that portion of the deck. Construction on set to begin early next year. It will be interesting to see how The historic 7 story Dixie Building fits into all this. I think it would be great if it were part of a dual hotel development, maybe turn that building into a Hotel Indigo 

Sorry for the pay wall 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2017/07/07/exclusive-downtown-building-sale-marks-next-step.html

Edited by cityboi

3 hours ago, cityboi said:

Sale of Dixie Building marks next step in the building of the Westin Greensboro  downtown. The parking lot behind the Dixie Building will be turned into a 6 story parking deck. The deck will then cross over February One Pl  and the hotel will be built on top of that portion of the deck. Construction on set to begin early next year. It will be interesting to see how The historic 7 story Dixie Building fits into all this. I think it would be great if it were part of a dual hotel development, maybe turn that building into a Hotel Indigo 

Sorry for the pay wall 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2017/07/07/exclusive-downtown-building-sale-marks-next-step.html

A city report shows a rendering of the Westin hotel and the deck. Keep in mind that this is NOT the final design. A design like this might pass in the late 70s or early 80s but not in 2017 lol. Its a basic design to illustrate how this project is going to be laid out and gives you an idea how tall it will be. You can see where the deck crosses over February One Place.The illustration doesn't included the planned street level retail and restaurants on the ground floor of the deck.

westingarage.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

How old is that design? I thought this structure was going to be about 17-18 stories tall, yet this rendering appears to only be about 14 stories. I understand this isn't the final rendering or anything, but I really hope this doesn't get scaled down or anything.

Its probably an older rendering because if you'll notice the deck has more than 6 floors and the plan calls for a 6 story deck. The hotel is short some floors on this rendering but the overall height is only 2 floors shorter than what is suppose to be planned.

15 hours ago, cityboi said:

A city report shows a rendering of the Westin hotel and the deck. Keep in mind that this is NOT the final design. A design like this might pass in the late 70s or early 80s but not in 2017 lol. Its a basic design to illustrate how this project is going to be laid out and gives you an idea how tall it will be. You can see where the deck crosses over February One Place.The illustration doesn't included the planned street level retail and restaurants on the ground floor of the deck.

westingarage.jpg

Here is a news link on the purchase of the property for the parking deck. 

http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/promised-land-with-the-property-in-place-upscale-greensboro-hotel/article_ded216fa-29e8-5608-b9ac-03d8acbd5ffd.html

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

What is happening to the old Dixie Building in front? will it be incorporated into the hotel or left as offices? 

Don't know but it will be interesting to find out. Since the Westin is going to be attatched to a conference center, additional hotel rooms could make sense. A duel hotel development would be ideal. Maybe the Dixie Building could be converted to a mid range hotel since the Westin is upscale. It gives people attending conferences options. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2017 at 9:06 PM, HRVT said:

How old is that design? I thought this structure was going to be about 17-18 stories tall, yet this rendering appears to only be about 14 stories. I understand this isn't the final rendering or anything, but I really hope this doesn't get scaled down or anything.

I read a News & Record editorial dated August 1, 2017 and Allen Johnson states "Expected to stack 11-stories atop a six-story deck, the Westin will significantly alter the city skyine."

So it appears they are moving forward with an 11-story hotel tower on top of a 6-story deck. So we are looking at a 17-story structure afterall. For a 2019 open construction should begin no later than early next year with a tower crane rising after demolition of the old deck. Meanwhile another tower crane will already be erected for the ballpark office tower.  

But the Westin should be about the height of the old Jefferson Standard Building or Center Pointe which is 16-stories. Because hotel floors are typically not as high as office building floors, a 17 story hotel should balance out to the height of the 16 story Center Pointe tower being that it use to be an office building. The Westin will be a dominant fixture in Greensboro's skyline. The Westin will also help fill in that big gap in Greensboro's skyline between the Lincoln Finacial Building and the 15 story Guilford Building. 

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1