I was told she has been living with her daughter and son who live in Kingston Springs and are caring for her due to recent serious health issues. She may be going back and forth to Hurricane Mills, but it was part of recent news story that a house her daughter had built for her, and which she lived in for a while, was sold to another country star. So, she is a Kingstonian (I made that up) in some part.

I was told of the general location where she is staying by a friend of the family and it is in my neighborhood. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Disclaimer: this information is second and third hand, so take it anyway you want.

1 hour ago, PHofKS said:

I was told she has been living with her daughter and son who live in Kingston Springs and are caring for her due to recent serious health issues. She may be going back and forth to Hurricane Mills, but it was part of recent news story that a house her daughter had built for her, and which she lived in for a while, was sold to another country star. So, she is a Kingstonian (I made that up) in some part.

I was told of the general location where she is staying by a friend of the family and it is in my neighborhood. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Disclaimer: this information is second and third hand, so take it anyway you want.

One of her twin daughters has a farm up in Goodlettesville. We had our wedding there and didn’t find out it was Loretta’s daughters farm until the next day when my Loretta Lynn fanatic mother-in-law called us freaking out about it ;) 

• Like 1

After traveling to Des Moines, Omaha, and Kansas city, I will say the Nashville art seen sucks big oranges. What we call art in this town, Stix and Ghost Ballet would be crap in those cities. All three cities, two of which are much smaller than Nashville have sculpture gardens and Omaha and Kansas City Art museums makes Nashville look like bug Tussle TN.

We have no corporate giants that are really lock and step behind the art scene here. The Frist family has donated for the Frist center, but it has no permanent collection and the center is painfully small.

Joslyn Art Museum Omaha

image.png.784d4fa46184e8734cf80b9f0c6a523d.png

Nelson Art Museum KC

image.png.f209be0e753385d1600d7caabb15cf43.png

Des Moines Art Center and Papa Johns Sculpture park

https://www.desmoinesartcenter.org/visit/pappajohn-sculpture-park

We are leaps and bounds behind many cities in this country and our Arts Commission is pretty sad with the decisions they make regarding art.

I can say the same thing about our Historic commission. 

I visit so many cities that our deficiency's are glaring in many areas.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

^ ^ ^ I visit many cities as well (spanning 54 countries), and Nashville is actually ahead of many that are the same size when it comes to the arts. Granted, our visual arts museum scene is not as developed, but it is far better than it was a few decades ago.  And many cities would love to have things like our Parthenon, Centennial Park, Bicentennial Mall (including the very unique Carillon), Capital Hill, War Memorial Plaza,  Public Square,  Riverfront Park/Ascend Amphitheater, Cumberland Park,  Seigenthaler Bridge, Vanderbilt's campus,  Music City Center, The Ryman, Downtown Library, Hatch Showprint, Cheekwood Estate/Museum, OZ Arts, 21c Museum Hotel, David Lusk Gallery in WeHo, fine collections at Vanderbilt, Belmont, and Fisk Universities, 5th Avenue of the Arts/Arcade (which feature dozens of galleries), the aforementioned Frist Center for the Arts, etc.  Our wall art scene is thriving. We have one of the top Children's Theaters in the nation (ranked in Top 5 by TIME magazine). We have one of the Top 10 orchestras in the country, a very good ballet, and even a decent opera company. Many other metropolises would kill to have our Schermerhorn Symphony Hall. Very few markets can rival us when it comes to the types of music-oriented museums we have. And our live music scene is unrivaled. 

• Like 3

I agree with Smeags on the "visual" arts ... Nashville even trails Chatty.  Yes, Mark, Nashville has tons of amenities for city its size, but the effort just has NOT (yet?) been put toward the arts. In fact, a large collection by two celebrated artists in the hands of local institutions (Van Vechtenberg & O'Keefe) was allowed to leave for Arkansas. Shame! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Nashville's other visual arts shame is that Red Grooms' Tennessee Foxtrot Carousel has been crated and in a warehouse for such a very long time! High hopes are that its days in hiding are numbered as I believe there is a plan for it to be included at the new state museum. Please let this be a reality!

This one really puzzles me.  We already have it.  All it would take is assembly.  We have so much empty 'lawn' space in our parks too, why wouldn't we make it a fixture on the riverfront or elsewhere?  The carousel at Coolidge  Park in Chattanooga is a huge draw for families with small children, and I see no reason why that wouldn't be the case here.

I recall hearing that the carousel was damaged in the flood (no?). I heard the same thing about it being re-installed at the new museum. 

The carousel at Coolidge Park was actually created by local citizens. A workshop carves and repairs the critters that adorn the carousel. It's a very popular attraction for everyday folks. I know a lady who has carved three "animals" for her own house. 

Haven't ridden the carousel in years, but when my kids were small, a ride only cost $1, and I believe it was around 3-4 minutes long. 

Edited by MLBrumby

At the beginning of the 20th century, the large cities in America were buying up art from famous artists and galleries while the paint was still wet. That's why Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati and Kansas City have such great collections. Even Memphis which was a much more prosperous town in those days had plenty of wealthy patrons to stock up their great museum.

There is some nice art in Nashville, but it is limited to Cheekwood, the Parthenon and the occasional return of the Stieglitz/O'Keeffe/Fisk University collection. It would be an impressive collection if all in one place. And I have heard of many famous paintings being held in private homes though out the city. The Country Music Hall of Fame has a large, custom made, Thomas Hart  Benton mural which was his last  (it is unsigned because he died the morning he was to affix his signature).

As for the Frist, it's mission was to provide a place for temporary exhibits, and has featured traveling collections from Cleveland and Detroit and has exhibited retrospectives of Rembrandt, impressionist, Michelangelo, and some of the world's finest art and collections. When the state of North Carolina built their museum in Raleigh in the 50s, they went out and purchased an incredible collection of art, sculptures and antiquities that would be worth billions today. I doubt we could match that.

The key is to buy good contemporary art, while the paint is still wet, and celebrate what people are doing today. Have a Tennessee arts permanent exhibit as there is incredible art being made locally. It will soon be a destination for art aficionados around the world.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ I visit many cities as well (spanning 54 countries), and Nashville is actually ahead of many that are the same size when it comes to the arts. Granted, our visual arts museum scene is not as developed, but it is far better than it was a few decades ago.  And many cities would love to have things like our Parthenon, Centennial Park, Bicentennial Mall (including the very unique Carillon), Capital Hill, War Memorial Plaza,  Public Square,  Riverfront Park/Ascend Amphitheater, Cumberland Park,  Seigenthaler Bridge, Vanderbilt's campus,  Music City Center, The Ryman, Downtown Library, Hatch Showprint, Cheekwood, etc.  We have one of the Top 10 orchestras in the country, a very good ballet, and even a decent opera company. Many other metropolises would kill to have our Schermerhorn Symphony Hall. Very few markets can rival us when it comes to the types of music-oriented museums we have. And our live music scene is unrivaled. 

Granted maybe to some of that Mark. However you are from Pittsburgh and you know they are far ahead of us, as are cities like NOLA, Richmond, and even though Cleveland is loosing population is still ahead of us on several different levels. I dont consider us being even close to the average european city in any way shape or form. 

We have worked hard at tearing our history down in Nashville. Lets take a look at the current state of Music Row. Where do we draw the line when building new buildings there. I didnt even consider older buildings in this debate, but since we are there Omaha has 10 times the number maybe even more of the pre WWII buildings and KC, Indy, NoLa, Denver are way ahead of us as they have kept their jewels. Thats to mention a few cities I have been to. Most of these cities have kept thier Rep theater and Ballet in the downtown area or have built new ones downtown. The only civic leader that steps up to the plate is Martha Ingram and we should have world class facilites that are easy to get to in the core.

To my point in an erlier post, we need our philanthropic people and organizations contributing instead of the  likes Gaylord, opening another Honky Tonk or a mall. Tbey should be helping the city that helped build their company.

Why dont we just tear everything on 16th and 17th down and replace the buildings with 5 story drab non descript architecturally bland buildings we are currently getting.

We tore down all of our old theaters.  Even Atlanta saved the Fox .

Cheekwood is OK for what it is, but there are a lot of places in cities our size the blow it away.

Again, Where do we draw the line? Remember Roy Acuff wanted to tear down the Ryman. We still have the hillbilly mind set here in a lot of ways.