Those are cool. Some higher walls/screens need to be put up along the sidewalks on the B'way, Demonbreun, Division, Church streets over I-40 . Last time I drove through there, it looked like the steel rail was around knee-height to the people walking across. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Those are cool. Some higher walls/screens need to be put up along the sidewalks on the B'way, Demonbreun, Division, Church streets over I-40 . Last time I drove through there, it looked like the steel rail was around knee-height to the people walking across. 

They are about knee height. I see people riding scooters/bikes on the sidewalks on those bridges all of the time(I always ride in the road). One bad tumble in the wrong direction is all it would take for a potential disaster. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I've noticed a lack of security fencing on many highway and high elevation bridges all around Nashville. Is this a TDOT thing to not have that type of fencing/guard?

Yes. And TDOT is woefully inept at planning, design and maintenance. Oh, but they do a great job paving (once they figure out if they should do concrete or asphalt surfaces). 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Is this a TDOT thing to not have that type of fencing/guard?

Current TDOT standards require bridge rails where pedestrian traffic is present to be at least 42 inches high. This is consistent with the height recommended by AASHTO (though not for bicycle traffic, which was recently increased to 54 inches).

The higher fences you see on bridges are a requirement by CSX for aerial encroachments that carry pedestrian traffic. They must be a minimum of 8 feet high and can't have openings larger than two inches square. This is not so much an issue of pedestrian safety as it is to prevent foreign objects from falling (i.e., being thrown) onto CSX tracks or trains. (Although I suppose a falling pedestrian technically counts as a foreign object...)

It was not that long ago that this board was complaining about the fences on the Division Street overpass being too obtrusive.

• Thanks 1