Dave Luna passing 5 years ago

smeagolsfree

Our friend John M wanted me to post this. John was and still is a great friend to Dave. Right now John is taking a leave from posting on the board but he sent me this heartfelt message about our departed friend, Uncle Dave.

I don't think I could add anything to this other than we still miss you a lot buddy.

"Dear Dave
Well its been five years since you left us,  and I wish you could see where Nashville is now! The amount of projects and cranes is nothing short of amazing. You would love all of the urban neighborhood infill, and certainly love the new towers which would amaze you."

That is only one thing I would tell Dave if he were still with us. I would tell him I miss him greatly, and I loved him like a brother. Dave was always full of wisdom, and certainly full of pride for the city of Nashville.

Dave would be upset with historic structures coming down, but he would love all of the rehabilitation projects happening in the core, especially in the CBD.

Dave was the type of soul that was warm, reflecting, and tolerant of everyone. He loved the group as much as anyone, and I remember standing outside the Library in Spring 2005 with him. This was the first time I met him, and we said that we should make this group a monthly event, and that eventually happened in November 2005.

That first meet had Myself, Dave, UTgrad09 (Kevin was but a youngster then!) Tyson who went by Rural King, Michael Kehldane, Justin who went by Dallas Texan at that time, and maybe one other. It was a tight group then, and we had made a day of it. We ate lunch at the San Antonio Taco Company. It concluded with pouring rain, and all of us running into the Renaissance for cover!

Dave loved this garden, and we took many drives together around the city envisioning what could be done. It always ended with a look at his garden, which he so loved.

"So Dave, I still miss you and the group still misses you. I hope you enjoy the infill wherever you are, and I hope you are planting some gardens too!

Rest well my friend, and maybe we will see each other again someday to catch up!"

Best, and much love, 

John

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't even 20 when we had the first meet.

While I didn't get to see Dave much after that (college and such...and being banned by monsoon leading to a bit of a hiatus), I always enjoyed reading his posts -- his stories. He had a way with words. Always loved his positivity.

Miss you much, Dave! Remember that we've changed meeting locations if you want to drop by!

Archived