Sign in to follow this  
GRLaker

Lakeshore Projects

Recommended Posts

GRLaker    248

Since the lakeshore is a part of the Grand Rapids Metro Area...

Looks like the old Civic Center in Holland is getting a nice face lift. Downtown Holland has done quite a bit lately between a new Courtyard by Marriott, new office buildings, installing heated sidewalks, Hope College's new buildings, and now this. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/01/holland_civic_center_renovatio.html

IMG_0780.JPG

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


GRDadof3    1830

I'm glad you posted this! I was in Holland the other day for the first time in years. What is that massive power plant looking place just as you're entering downtown? Looks pretty sweet for a power plant, if that's what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GRLaker    248
3 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm glad you posted this! I was in Holland the other day for the first time in years. What is that massive power plant looking place just as you're entering downtown? Looks pretty sweet for a power plant, if that's what it is. 

Holland has moved away from the coal power plant that sits on Lake Macatawa and built a new natural gas plant. It is a thing of beauty as far as power plants go. I believe the coal plant still serves as a backup right now while the gas is completed. I'd love to see if there are plans to tear that thing down and develop that land though. It's prime land right on Lake Macatawa in downtown. Only problem is the sewage treatment plant is nearby.

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJLO    342
19 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Holland has moved away from the coal power plant that sits on Lake Macatawa and built a new natural gas plant. It is a thing of beauty as far as power plants go. I believe the coal plant still serves as a backup right now while the gas is completed. I'd love to see if there are plans to tear that thing down and develop that land though. It's prime land right on Lake Macatawa in downtown. Only problem is the sewage treatment plant is nearby.

I've always found it ironic that Holland as a "tourist" town has it's greatest asset (it's waterfront) flanked by a padnos scrap yard, an ugly power plant, and other unsightly industrial crap.   Padnos is annoyingly located in a bunch of spots that would be prime for ANYTHING other than metal recycling. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GRLaker    248
1 hour ago, MJLO said:

I've always found it ironic that Holland as a "tourist" town has it's greatest asset (it's waterfront) flanked by a padnos scrap yard, an ugly power plant, and other unsightly industrial crap.   Padnos is annoyingly located in a bunch of spots that would be prime for ANYTHING other than metal recycling. 

Is that Padnos? I had no idea...I agree that that land could be used for far better things. I think Michigan lakeshore cities of any size to speak of suffer from a lack of imagination for what they can do with their waterfront land. They seem to just be industrial wastelands as opposed to parks and large scale housing like you'd see in any other state with beaches and great lakefront property.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GRDadof3    1830
4 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Is that Padnos? I had no idea...I agree that that land could be used for far better things. I think Michigan lakeshore cities of any size to speak of suffer from a lack of imagination for what they can do with their waterfront land. They seem to just be industrial wastelands as opposed to parks and large scale housing like you'd see in any other state with beaches and great lakefront property.

That's because for more than a century the lakefronts along the lakeshore were shipping ports. They're still shipping ports, to some degree. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RegalTDP    266
2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That's because for more than a century the lakefronts along the lakeshore were shipping ports. They're still shipping ports, to some degree. 

You could say it's a similar story along the Grand River.  We're frustrated today with the underutilization of the river and lack of green space, but back in the day people looked at the riverbanks and envisioned sawmills :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MJLO    342

They were definitely purposed for their most impactful economic use at the time.  It is now time to repurpose them to their current most impactful economic use.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GRDadof3    1830
12 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

You could say it's a similar story along the Grand River.  We're frustrated today with the underutilization of the river and lack of green space, but back in the day people looked at the riverbanks and envisioned sawmills :thumbsup:

Exactly. That's why it's hard to find a city that's more than 100 years old that's not built alongside a river or lakefront.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GRLaker    248
55 minutes ago, Onekama said:

Phase 1 of this development is also under construction downtown Holland next to the Civic Center property.  Will help extend downtown towards Lake Mac.

http://www.gdkproperties.com/pdfs/0-Downtown-Holland---Online-Brochure-(4)-website-use-2016.pdf

My goodness. That will be an amazing addition to the city. I had no idea that was in the works, let alone currently being built. That is a big step in the right direction toward making it a true lakefront city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Onekama    46

And speaking of lakefront, not sure what will be done with the James DeYoung power plant once the new one GRLaker posted above comes online...  Maybe re-purpose as small version of the Tate Modern in London? :)

Image result for tate modern

Image result for james deyoung power plant

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GRLaker    248

It would be nice to see some condos go up above the shops they're building on 8th as an extension of downtown. There are really only about three urban condo developments in the city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GRDadof3    1830

I did also notice that just West of the Heinz plant is a condo project going in on Lake Mac. Looked pretty nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GRLaker    248
36 minutes ago, Onekama said:

Looks like the first building going up will have a whopping 4 condos!

http://www.grbj.com/articles/85529-developer-plans-redevelopment-of-urban-block

Apartments work too. But a multi-story building of all condos like Grand Haven has built in the last decade would sure be nice. Grand Haven has become the beach town condo city of West Michigan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GRLaker    248
57 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I did also notice that just West of the Heinz plant is a condo project going in on Lake Mac. Looked pretty nice. 

Haven't noticed that. Is it a condo community or a condo building?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pattmost20    112
1 hour ago, Onekama said:

Looks like the first building going up will have a whopping 4 condos!

http://www.grbj.com/articles/85529-developer-plans-redevelopment-of-urban-block

Hopefully the future developments will include quite a few more condos. Side note, I like your username, been going up to Portage Lake since I was a kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GRDadof3    1830
52 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Haven't noticed that. Is it a condo community or a condo building?

They're like cottages. I'll see if I can find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GRLaker    248
1 minute ago, GRDadof3 said:

They're like cottages. I'll see if I can find it.

Ohh bummer. That would have been the perfect spot for a high rise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Onekama    46
2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Hopefully the future developments will include quite a few more condos. Side note, I like your username, been going up to Portage Lake since I was a kid.

Thanks Pattmost20!  Love Onekama (1,) and the Portage Lake area.  We bought a condo at the Portage Point Inn 2 years ago and was the best purchase of my life so far.  

The resort was purchased out of foreclosure a few years back and it's new life is starting to take shape.  As you guys on here like renderings, you can see the current plans here: http://www.portagepointresort.com/ .  The plan is to turn the circa 1912 hotel into more lakefront condos as well.

Seems to be a great time to get into the Onekama/Manistee area.  Arcadia Bluffs is adding a second golf course a few miles away on M22 and expanding their lodging.  The Casino (not that I ever go there) also just expanded.  Brand new Meijer in Manistee.  New North Channel Brewing and a riverfront condo project opening this spring downtown Manistee.  All the beauty of northern Michigan without the Traverse City prices...

Hopefully not too off topic as this is a Lakeshore thread :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GRLaker    248
1 hour ago, Onekama said:

Thanks Pattmost20!  Love Onekama (1,) and the Portage Lake area.  We bought a condo at the Portage Point Inn 2 years ago and was the best purchase of my life so far.  

The resort was purchased out of foreclosure a few years back and it's new life is starting to take shape.  As you guys on here like renderings, you can see the current plans here: http://www.portagepointresort.com/ .  The plan is to turn the circa 1912 hotel into more lakefront condos as well.

Seems to be a great time to get into the Onekama/Manistee area.  Arcadia Bluffs is adding a second golf course a few miles away on M22 and expanding their lodging.  The Casino (not that I ever go there) also just expanded.  Brand new Meijer in Manistee.  New North Channel Brewing and a riverfront condo project opening this spring downtown Manistee.  All the beauty of northern Michigan without the Traverse City prices...

Hopefully not too off topic as this is a Lakeshore thread :)

Hey, it's still the lakeshore ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.