Lakeshore Projects

GRLaker

I saw in the last Zeeland City Council meeting they are discussing improving the Main St./BL196/M121 interchange in the near future.  Anyone want to play armchair urban planner and propose how this monstrosity of an intersection could be improved?  Roundabout(s), elongated roundabouts, tunnels?!?!, convert to all bike lanes???

From meeting minutes:

Continue discussions with MDOT regarding potential project. Meet with MDOT and the Ottawa County Road Commission to develop a plan to make this entrance into Zeeland safer and more efficient than it is today. Target is to have agreed upon concept by July 1, 2021. Improve the safety and efficiency for vehicle and pedestrian traffic at one of the primary entrances to the city.

Zeeland.jpg

6 hours ago, Onekama said:

This is my 15 minutes of thinking proposal.

IMG_8460.PNG

I started drawing one up, but this is better than my idea by a long shot. Although, what is the bottom right white line going to if the bottom blue is eastbound Chicago Dr./Byron Ave.?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Onekama said:

Some pictures of the retail/apartments/condos project on 8th St. downtown Holland.

IMG_8566.JPG

IMG_8567.JPG

IMG_8568.JPG

I'm looking forward to this being a finished product in the future. Having downtown stretch nearly to the lake will be a nice setup for Holland. 

Seems to be a slow news day.  So I thought we'd take a trip back up the Lakeshore for some new developments to look at.  Proposed waterfront hotel and restaurant in the sleepy town of Arcadia.  I'm sure a result of Arcadia Bluffs investing in building their second golf course just south of town on M22.

other images can be found here: http://www.arcadiatwpmi.org/

Swan-Resort-Site-Plan-4-2-17.jpg

2017-05-02_114555.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This guy gets it :)

“We really saw the need for parking in this block,” said Chuck Geenan, co-owner of GDK. “For development to happen downtown and continue to add retail and residential, you need to have parking.”

IMG_9400.PNG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

Having worked in Holland for 10+ years, I know the folks here love their two local movie theaters, I wonder if the downtown can support another one?

The one on the north side is junk. I have never watched a more grainy movie in my life as the one I watched there a few months ago.

Just now, GRLaker said:

The one on the north side is junk. I have never watched a more grainy movie in my life as the one I watched there a few months ago.

They just finished up overhauling the Star Theater, which is now just branded as AMC.  Haven't been yet, but it looks like it is much improved.  Holland 7 on the south side went through a major renovation recently as well.

1 minute ago, Onekama said:

They just finished up overhauling the Star Theater, which is now just branded as AMC.  Haven't been yet, but it looks like it is much improved.  Holland 7 on the south side went through a major renovation recently as well.

Holland 7 is nice and it shows in their parking lot being packed on a normal weekend. I went to the AMC a few months ago to watch the new Star Wars and the picture quality was awful. The parking lot also had like 5 cars in it while the Holland 7 was overflowing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Holland 7 is nice and it shows in their parking lot being packed on a normal weekend. I went to the AMC a few months ago to watch the new Star Wars and the picture quality was awful. The parking lot also had like 5 cars in it while the Holland 7 was overflowing. 

I meant the Knickerbocker and Park Theaters. 

On 7/6/2017 at 9:26 AM, Onekama said:

Man that is a nice looking rendering. Varied and interesting, but keeping with elements of classic design. Excited to see what downtown Holland looks like in a few years.

• Like 4

On 7/9/2017 at 9:57 AM, Pattmost20 said:

Man that is a nice looking rendering. Varied and interesting, but keeping with elements of classic design. Excited to see what downtown Holland looks like in a few years.

Speaking of nice looking renderings.  Discovered this updated hotel/conference center rendering the other day.  Kind of an over the top eccentric design, but I kind of like it.  

It's the one being proposed way up the lakeshore, in Arcadia.  http://www.townshipofarcadia.org/swan-resort.html

swan_elevation.jpg

• Like 2

Not lakeshore specifically but I was in Traverse City this weekend and WOW the downtown looks cool. I hate to say it but it's way more walkable/vibrant than downtown GR. There was another big project going up at the East end of Front St too. It reminded me of all of this work going on in Holland. 

I want to say it was near this corner? 

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7641205,-85.6182367,3a,75y,293.4h,106.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUuhI7NJca7mjx-lTbxPTDw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Not lakeshore specifically but I was in Traverse City this weekend and WOW the downtown looks cool. I hate to say it but it's way more walkable/vibrant than downtown GR. There was another big project going up at the East end of Front St too. It reminded me of all of this work going on in Holland. 

I want to say it was near this corner? 

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7641205,-85.6182367,3a,75y,293.4h,106.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUuhI7NJca7mjx-lTbxPTDw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Traverse City is an amazing town. It's the perfect combination of city and nature and you're right in that the downtown is very walkable and attractive. I would live there if it wasn't for the low average pay and skyrocketing real estate.