Lakeshore Projects

GRLaker

On 2/4/2022 at 9:17 AM, joeDowntown said:

How many times do you walk through a city with a giant chess board and actually see someone using it (or a metal ping pong table, like downtown GR)? 

Joe

The ping pong table at Riverside is always busy.  Wife and I prefer to go to the Richmond park table as its less busy.  where is there one downtown? I wanna go!

• 3 weeks later...

Cool start, I thought there were even more ambitious ideas that would replace the old power plant and possibly create "inland" waterway/canals like in the real Holland. Either way it sounds like the city is serious about incorporating the long neglected waterfront into the downtown and just hope it gets done right

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 7:22 PM, GR8scott said:

Cool start, I thought there were even more ambitious ideas that would replace the old power plant and possibly create "inland" waterway/canals like in the real Holland.

Based on absolutely no research, here's a map I drew of what canals could look like.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16MFOd82tBtssIaNXkNvRjv8z3jo7Vq0i

image.thumb.png.1b57944b9786676e53146add114505d7.png

I don't know why I just spent 20 minutes on this.

On 2/28/2022 at 12:18 PM, GreatLakesPrintShop said:

I like this project but those buildings are so "pedestrian" and I don't mean that in a good way. Looks like apartments on Alpine Avenue. 

This is really fascinating. The coal plant in Port Sheldon Twp is going to be decommissioned early. I think that's pretty much all of the coal plants in West Michigan will be gone soon. That's great for our air quality.

Wonder what will come of redeveloping this site. A lot of interesting discussions about lost tax revenue and how to replace it:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2022/03/plans-to-decommission-coal-plant-on-2000-acres-along-lake-michigan-presents-once-in-a-generation-redevelopment-opportunity.html

23 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I like this project but those buildings are so "pedestrian" and I don't mean that in a good way. Looks like apartments on Alpine Avenue. 

I agree that these look out of place.  I would go with more of a wharf warehouse look with a slight nod to Dutch architecture.  Similar to the market buildings in Boston.

image.thumb.png.f8a43dd63c0fe62c1bd253b1376af297.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I agree that wharf type structures would look really nice (if done well). It's a bit of a let down as I think Holland developers have done a good job of putting some very nice developments downtown. This looks like suburban apartment building on the waterfront.

GDK are the same folks who have done nice work over the last few years on a bunch of developments in downtown Holland.  I'd be surprised if they were satisfied to go pedestrian on the waterfront after establishing their reputation for quality in Holland.  This feels like maybe placeholder rendering to me...

19 minutes ago, cstonesparty said:

GDK are the same folks who have done nice work over the last few years on a bunch of developments in downtown Holland.  I'd be surprised if they were satisfied to go pedestrian on the waterfront after establishing their reputation for quality in Holland.  This feels like maybe placeholder rendering to me...

Good to know! And maybe you are right. They may have done a rendering to show a bit more than massing of buildings, but still a placeholder. That makes me optimistic. I really like what's been done in Holland in the last 10-12 years.

Joe

On 3/12/2022 at 3:42 PM, ZAP! said:

Based on absolutely no research, here's a map I drew of what canals could look like.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16MFOd82tBtssIaNXkNvRjv8z3jo7Vq0i

image.thumb.png.1b57944b9786676e53146add114505d7.png

I don't know why I just spent 20 minutes on this.

Had a similar thought as well. Pretty sure that rail line still gets used but if not that would be the least hindering; 

image.thumb.png.e5e29ea7395e5b5e644a069a7e7b1b55.png

Another more elaborate but not too invasive idea would be reroute part of the 1way 7th street throughfare to 6th and put a canal down 7th with building along side for a real Amsterdam feel. Something like this; 

image.thumb.png.9c2e88d437f283b771c14f5e0030543b.png

• Like 1

Big news out of Holland. LG Chem is adding 1.5 Million square feet to its battery plant, adding another 1200 jobs (they have about 1300 employees now)

LG-Chem-Battery-PLant-Holland-Michigan.j

Here's what the plant looks like now (that you can see from I-196)

228023371_LGChemexpansion.thumb.JPG.859cbdcfa836d8b367c570a5c335df10.JPG

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/02/21/lg-chem-expand-battery-cell-manufacturing-us-china/

• Like 1