Lakeshore Projects

GRLaker

On 9/14/2018 at 11:36 AM, mgreven said:

I was told that the Spring Lake developers are looking at the Ada remodel as the goal and similar vision.  They would love something like Kingma's too (as would I...)  =)

Meh. :) I would strive for something bigger. Something between Bridge Street Market and Kingma's would be great for downtown Spring Lake. #gamechanger

On 9/15/2018 at 7:46 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Meh. :) I would strive for something bigger. Something between Bridge Street Market and Kingma's would be great for downtown Spring Lake. #gamechanger

Maybe Kingmas was the coolest thing they had seen and now they’ll see Bridge Street Market and make that the model. That would put Orchard Market out of business. Nice people but terribly dated and pricey store with bad produce. 

I’ll be interested to see how it turns out...just like renderings, it’s easy to draw pretty pictures or dream but until you get it built...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mgreven said:

Maybe Kingmas was the coolest thing they had seen and now they’ll see Bridge Street Market and make that the model. That would put Orchard Market out of business. Nice people but terribly dated and pricey store with bad produce. 

I’ll be interested to see how it turns out...just like renderings, it’s easy to draw pretty pictures or dream but until you get it built...

The new Kingma's is cool but it seems like a novelty to me. You can't do your grocery shopping there. Like the Downtown Market: a fun outing and place to visit but not a grocer. Why not make a real market?

47 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The new Kingma's is cool but it seems like a novelty to me. You can't do your grocery shopping there. Like the Downtown Market: a fun outing and place to visit but not a grocer. Why not make a real market?

They are a good store for quick stops.   They are not going to compete directly with Meijer or Costco for stocking up the pantry but it is great for grabbing a 6 pack, something to throw on the grill or a gallon of milk on the way home.   

I could see that concept work well for people out at their cottages on Spring Lake in the summer.

On 9/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, Sparty97 said:

They are a good store for quick stops.   They are not going to compete directly with Meijer or Costco for stocking up the pantry but it is great for grabbing a 6 pack, something to throw on the grill or a gallon of milk on the way home.   

I could see that concept work well for people out at their cottages on Spring Lake in the summer.

Exactly. But this market would need to stay in business year-round. A Kingma's-esque place is not going to do well when the snowbirds leave town.  I think a second "urban-ish" Meijer type store would do well as an alternative to the Meijer on 31. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Onekama said:

A chance for any of you arm chair developers to offer insight into how to redevelop the old lakefront power plant in Holland.

https://waterfrontholland.org/

waterfront-holland-jdy.jpg

So much potential based on its location on the lake, river, and bridge area with so many limitations placed on it by the sewage treatment plant across the street and Padnos next door.

41 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

So much potential based on its location on the lake, river, and bridge area with so many limitations placed on it by the sewage treatment plant across the street and Padnos next door.

Given those obvious limitations, I think they should land swap for the Verplank Dock property which is at the end of 8th Street right next to Boatwerks Restaurant.

9 hours ago, Onekama said:

A chance for any of you arm chair developers to offer insight into how to redevelop the old lakefront power plant in Holland.

https://waterfrontholland.org/

waterfront-holland-jdy.jpg

I think they should make it a "mostly" public space that allows for boats to dock and perhaps have a greenspace, marketplace, retail, vendors, etc. that draw boaters from around Lake Michigan. They could market it as a premier destination port with shuttle buses to the busier areas of downtown (for those who don't want to walk). A giant amphitheater for concerts would be cool as well.  Expanded docking areas for cruise ships as well. 

Condo towers would be a tough sell with the surrounding scrap metal plant and wastewater treatment plant (as mentioned above). 

There is an army of people who have gigantic yachts on Lake Michigan just looking for "outings" to go to for over-nighters. Muskegon Lake is also an opportunity for that. It's the same thing as people who go RV'ing all over the place, which is huge for Baby Boomers right now, but on boats. 

On 10/12/2018 at 11:27 PM, walker said:

Speaking of characterless, take a look at the BIL-MAR replacement in Grand Haven on the beach:

lake_michigan_beach_restaurant

Ewww, woof. 

On 10/12/2018 at 1:48 PM, wingbert said:

800px-BaltimorePowerPlant.JPGBaltimore, inner harbor 

Interestingly Barnes & Noble is being sold/going under,  Hard Rock Cafe's are beginning to close and ESPNZone?  Is that like Buffalo Wild Wings on steroids? lol. No shanks. 

I used to have a hard-on for that project years ago but man is it over the top. And such a cool building too. 

I don't anything like that would be good for Holland's lakefront. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/ottawa-county/development-near-i-196-includes-hotel-restaurant/1566719472

Now, if the road construction around this area will ever wrap up ... 

This is on top of 3 hotels currently under construction, 1 other hotel approved, and 1 other hotel being proposed this month in Holland.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a hotel next to Herman Miller and the new Love's truck stop at the 16 street exit soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...