ricky_davis_fan_21

Hercules Industrial Park Redevelopment

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rfordplantII.htm

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article124816199.html

ATCO has purchased the 75 acre sprawling industrial property on Statesville Avenue. The property is a true gateway into urban charlotte and represents a huge chunk of land that could be very important in the future. The only building of note are the Albert Kahn Designed Building 1 and 7, and I think thats the only buildings that will be saved, the rest will be torn down for sure. 

What would you like to see done with the buildings? They have a very interesting past and 75 acres is a TON of space.

Its also worth noting that the Red Line Commuter line cuts through the site, and there would be a planned station there.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
4 people like this

I'd really like them to keep most of the buildings. The two on the corner of Woodward and Statesville have a really cool train loading area between them with old wooden sliding doors. Huge I beams run between them over the train tracks (was told by an old maintenance guy that they were used to load the missiles). I'm not sure of how to reuse the space (maybe a outdoor market/ farmers market? It's already covered). The space has a great bygone industrial feeling to it that is rare in Charlotte. I'll try to get a pick the next tying I'm in that part of the complex. 

2 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

I'd really like them to keep most of the buildings. The two on the corner of Woodward and Statesville have a really cool train loading area between them with old wooden sliding doors. Huge I beams run between them over the train tracks (was told by an old maintenance guy that they were used to load the missiles). I'm not sure of how to reuse the space (maybe a outdoor market/ farmers market? It's already covered). The space has a great bygone industrial feeling to it that is rare in Charlotte. I'll try to get a pick the next tying I'm in that part of the complex. 

My thing is, there is over 1.3M sq feet of industrial there all on a single floor. Some of the buildings are almost 1/4 mile long. I can't think of many uses that are conducive to this type of layout. I think saving building one and redeveloping the land around, and reconnecting the grid to Graham is the best thing you could do on the site.

1 hour ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

The plant was used to build missiles during WW2 (see the observer link in RDF's first post). Long time Charlotteans call it the missile plant. 

My understanding is that they plan to keep and reuse most of the buildings, at least for the time being.

This site has a lot of potential, and seeing some life injected into it will be majorly transformative for the North End area.

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Spartan said:

The plant was used to build missiles during WW2 (see the observer link in RDF's first post). Long time Charlotteans call it the missile plant. 

My understanding is that they plan to keep and reuse most of the buildings, at least for the time being.

This site has a lot of potential, and seeing some life injected into it will be majorly transformative for the North End area.

The Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA is a great example of reuse of an old munitions factory.  It's waterfront, but something similar in Charlotte as the centerpiece of redeveopment and a reconnected grid would be awesome.  Including some open space around a centerpiece building with a substantial retail component would be an interesting plan.

26 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

The Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA is a great example of reuse of an old munitions factory.  It's waterfront, but something similar in Charlotte as the centerpiece of redeveopment and a reconnected grid would be awesome.  Including some open space around a centerpiece building with a substantial retail component would be an interesting plan.

I'm wary of this comparison. Torpedo factory is multiple floors and compact. 345' x 115'. The smallest building at Hercules is single floor and 800' x 350'. Thats MASSIVE. Its just doesn't seem like great adaptive reuse to me. There are 250' x 1200' buildings in the complex.

Posted (edited)

Which one is the big blue warehouse?

Whichever one that is I cannot wait for it to leave. It makes it literally feel like a post-war wasteland on that stretch of Graham St.

Very unsettling to the nerves.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

4 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Which one is the big blue warehouse?

Whichever one that is I cannot wait for it to leave. It makes it literally feel like a post-war wasteland on that stretch of Graham St.

Very unsettling to the nerves.

Thats building 6. It was expanded to 1200 feet long in 1955 and the corrugated metal exterior was added. Those buildings don't have any ground level windows, only clerestory windows every however many feet. Demolish everything except the Albert Kahn structures please. 

Here is some history on this plant and area. I hope the truly historic parts like the Ford Model T factory are preserved and homage paid to the missile plant too. http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rfordplantII.htm

Would not it be great to find and have on display a Charlotte made Ford?  http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/assemblyplantbodynumbers.htm

2 people like this

https://imgur.com/gallery/wU9vi
Here's some photos I took today. I would upload them directly but the mobile site is telling me max file size is 2MB. 

That's building 7 and then 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm wary of this comparison. Torpedo factory is multiple floors and compact. 345' x 115'. The smallest building at Hercules is single floor and 800' x 350'. Thats MASSIVE. Its just doesn't seem like great adaptive reuse to me. There are 250' x 1200' buildings in the complex.

Are there any examples of similar scale projects out there? This might be unique in terms of size/scale.

Love this!  Reminds me of a nicer NC Music Factory.  Very exciting...

Anyone else feel like we would have gotten Stone Brewing Co, had this been on the table?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno.  Their brewery in Richmond is a build-to-suit.  I think they were looking at build-to-suit all along.

Maybe Victory/Southern Tier could make it work???

On 1/9/2017 at 9:32 PM, Matthew.Brendan said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/wU9vi

Here's some photos I took today. I would upload them directly but the mobile site is telling me max file size is 2MB. 

Sorry about that! I upgraded a few things on the back-end last week and apparently this value reset. Max upload is now 200MB. :tw_grin:

On 1/10/2017 at 10:32 AM, Spartan said:

Are there any examples of similar scale projects out there? This might be unique in terms of size/scale.

I'm wondering if this could turn into something like the Durham American Tobacco Campus. https://americantobaccocampus.com/

1 person likes this

On 1/9/2017 at 11:00 PM, nashbill said:

The Brick work done on these buildings is so good.  I imagine there are very few people that can do this anymore. Nice photos. 

People can do it, but it's very expensive and gets value engineered out.

10 hours ago, asthasr said:

People can do it, but it's very expensive and gets value engineered out.

My understanding of brick craftsmanship around here comes from verbal history mostly, but I read it somewhere also, that, most of the brick buildings from that period were built by children of slaves. Bricklaying had been one trade where African-Americans were free to exploit. Most learned from their parents.

4 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

My understanding of brick craftsmanship around here comes from verbal history mostly, but I read it somewhere also, that, most of the brick buildings from that period were built by children of slaves. Bricklaying had been one trade where African-Americans were free to exploit. Most learned from their parents.

Here is one particularly well known example of that idiom:

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rmeckinvestment.htm

1 person likes this

Thanks!  Yes, very similar patterns, no?

You have to believe there were ex slaves helping since the turn of the century was more or less 40 years after the war.