markhollin

Stanza Hotel, 12 stories, 117 rooms, $18 Million, 400 Lafayette Street, SoBro

20 posts in this topic

I like the idea behind this a lot, but the overall facade arrangement is terrible. The final product will probably be better than the Sketchup renderings posted with the article, but this is bad. Reminds me of this: 

jail.jpg

2 people like this

yeah the design is pretty bad... but whatever

1 person likes this

The design is definitely pretty uninspired, but im just pleased to be getting any height at all on this tiny a lot.

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

The design is definitely pretty uninspired, but im just pleased to be getting any height at all on this tiny a lot.

I would be shocked if this is built. His budget for this 12 story hotel is the same budget for many of the 4 story apartment complexes going up around town.

12 minutes ago, samsonh said:

I would be shocked if this is built. His budget for this 12 story hotel is the same budget for many of the 4 story apartment complexes going up around town.

Well, even with the vertical construction, he has a much smaller footprint than any of the 4 story apartment complexes currently under construction. He also doesn't have to construct structured parking...that in itself is approximately $20,000 per space to develop. 

18 Million seems a bit low, but given the small footprint and the fact that it is a hotel that will probably be furnished in the most basic way, it may make sense. That 18 Million is probably only what the project has been roughly estimated at. It will probably change (probably already has) and will probably be much more expensive. 

3 people like this

That's ~$154,000 per room. I suspect this will be incredibly spartan in its furnishing and finishes and it is only going to be ~70,000 sq feet which will roughly work out to $257/sq foot.  That seems doable. 

2 people like this

6 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

But is an uninspiring design an acceptable cost for height? As much as we make fun of Nashville's cardboard box designs, the facade truly resembles cardboard, and the trim? Would be ecstatic if they went back to the drawing board with this one, even if it ended up shorter.

1 person likes this

It really does have a 1980's look to it.  Willing to bet it will have that spongy spray-on exterior where you can leave a thumb print.

Edited by titanhog

The brownish color isn't a good look

1 person likes this

Is this taking the place of the old bachelorette party hotel concept?

On 1/17/2017 at 0:08 AM, Neigeville2 said:

I think just the fact that it takes up its whole tiny, triangular block makes it a cool design.  It's unique and I'm pretty excited about it.

It's a great idea.  Just wish the design was slightly "hipper."

I like it, for what it is. Will this have the smallest footprint of a midrise in the city?

1 person likes this

Ironically, its placement in the middle of a three-street triangle substantially diminishes its desired "Millennial-appeal" through decreased walkability.

The triangular footprint.

Looking east from intersection of Lafayette and Ash:

Stanza Hotel site 1, May 14, 2017.jpg

Looking NW from intersection of 4th Ave. South and Lafayette:

Stanza Hotel site 2, May 14, 2017.jpg

3 people like this

do you think this project will be moving forward soon? a guess when they might break ground?