The new Hilton Garden Inn on the East Beltline is an atrocious joke

GRDadof3

I can't come up with anything else to say. 

I wish I could take a picture of it but I just accelerate when I pass it because I can't bear it. 

Here it is back when there was at least some glimmer of hope that it might become something. 

Since this is in the city of Grand Rapids, if it were me on the planning commission, I'd hold off on issuing them any of the permits on the Monroe North hotel until this eyesore is cleaned up. That's just me though. 

DJI_0166.MP4.00_00_47_08.Still008-wt-log

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an ugly patch of nature in the way! What better way of fixing that?

But yeah, some days you really have to shake your head at what gets approved. I fully see the entirety of the E. Beltline looking like this. Clear-cut and laden with "buildings" like that.

One of these days I'll have to find a video where a developer actually gives their rationale for continuing to make stuff that look this bad, and why cities keep approving it.

30 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

So...What does it look like now? I'm rarely over on that side of town anymore.

I'll have to see if I can get a picture. They've started on the sports bar in the front so it's a difficult site to get to (and you certainly can't walk to it very well). 

9 hours ago, tSlater said:

It's certainly not great, but I feel the awfulness of it is being grossly exaggerated.  Seems typical highway-side hotel, as ATX said.

The East Beltline is not a highway. All of the office buildings in that area are brick, somehow this one snuck in some low grade EFIS type stuff.

I actually remember a request to change the exterior materials last year, before the planning commission.

10 hours ago, The ATX said:

Expectations must have been much higher for this project in the beginning for it to have this level of disappointment.  It looks like any average anywhere in the U.S. motel on a highway.

East Beltline is not a highway. Maybe a boulevard? 

This is in the city of Grand Rapids. If you let this slide, what's to stop other developers from doing the same in other parts of the city, once the precedent has been set? What's to stop Suburban Inns from doing the same in Monroe North? 

I disagree. I have to stay at a decent number of suburban hotels and a lot of brands, Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard, Hampton all do a pretty decent job (for faux-chitecture) of making the first level somewhat transparent and pushing the lobby and pool to the front or side so there are a lot of windows. This building looks like they forgot to design the first floor and only realized it after it was under construction. Also, I never understand ugly paint jobs. It costs ZERO extra dollars to make sure the paint has a cohesive and palatable color scheme. 

My biggest worry is who's building this and what they are building next. If the North Monroe hotel is going to end up with zero attention paid to the exterior, I'd prefer to see the lot not get developed (yet). 

Joe

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I disagree. I have to stay at a decent number of suburban hotels and a lot of brands, Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard, Hampton all do a pretty decent job (for faux-chitecture) of making the first level somewhat transparent and pushing the lobby and pool to the front or side so there are a lot of windows. This building looks like they forgot to design the first floor and only realized it after it was under construction. Also, I never understand ugly paint jobs. It costs ZERO extra dollars to make sure the paint has a cohesive and palatable color scheme. 

My biggest worry is who's building this and what they are building next. If the North Monroe hotel is going to end up with zero attention paid to the exterior, I'd prefer to see the lot not get developed (yet). 

Joe

And the trim doesn't even blend together. Are those "patios" going to have railings or are they just decorative? And why did they nix all the windows in the front part of the hotel, yet they kept them all in the back part? If you get a chance to drive down the Beltline, check it out. It looks like a giant mobile home on a stone foundation. 

The only redeeming part of it is the little "hut" in the front where I assume the check in and lounge/continental breakfast area are. 

But I agree. Is it the same architect? 

Who wants to take bets on when the EFIS starts peeling off? It looks like there's not even any kind of moisture barrier or trim at the bottom of the EFIS panels. 

Archived