I discussed creating such a topic with Mark and he agreed this was a good idea. There has been much talk on sports talk radio recently of a new stadium to replace Nissan Stadium when the lease with the Oilers/Titans expires in 12 years.The talk was spurred by the exit of the storied San Diego Chargers from San Diego this past week.

Also, there is talk of a new Vanderbilt Stadium in the MLS topic as the partnership sounds likely. The MLS topic is seems to be an appropriate forum for this discussion as an application is made for a franchise. But, maybe such discussion can be moved here later as it becomes a construction/development issue.

Also, other discussion can involve  TSU's need for an on-campus stadium, the loss of auto racing, Municipal Auditorium, and any others that may pop up from time to time.

• Like 2

For starters, I saw the Jackson State proposal for an on-campus domed stadium a year ago (link below). I initially thought it would make a great stadium for Vanderbilt. I don't know what the status is, but the design and cost looks like something to build on as a prospective Titans stadium. I know $200 million is an absurd estimate, but adding another $800 million for seating, restrooms, club seats, underground parking and offices, luxury boxes and all other NFL stadium standards might be feasible. I also think 60,000 seats may be adequate for a new stadium. This would be suitable for a Superbowl, Final Four, Political Convention, College Playoff, etc. The climate controlled stadium may encourage better attendance, also.

JACKSON STATE/MISSISSIPPI DOMED STADIUM PROPOSAL

AA%20JSU%20Dome_zpsj8ahzl1k.jpg

And we don't need a expensive luxuries such as a retractable roof, decorative fins, Thoughts?

• Like 2

If we end up building a new stadium...and if the city pays for it...I at least hope this time the city will get to decide what events and how many events can be used there and get as much use as they do with Bridgestone Arena.  With Nissan Stadium, the Titans have so much say over things that the stadium gets only a small number of usages compared to what it possibly could get.

• Like 3

Quick thought that just hit me:

Eventually, we will need a new stadium.  Considering how scarce land is in the core, and that we just sold to Zach Liff the piece of land in the Gulch that have been the best location for a mass transit hub (something like Denver's Union Station), why not build the new stadium right next to the existing one, closer to East Nashville.  Then build a new rail hub close to the river near/partially replacing the existing stadium footprint?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonCamp said:

Quick thought that just hit me:

Eventually, we will need a new stadium.  Considering how scarce land is in the core, and that we just sold to Zach Liff the piece of land in the Gulch that have been the best location for a mass transit hub (something like Denver's Union Station), why not build the new stadium right next to the existing one, closer to East Nashville.  Then build a new rail hub close to the river near/partially replacing the existing stadium footprint?

From what I understand, the plan all along has been for that parking lot east of the stadium to be the site for the future new stadium.  When they build the new stadium, the current stadium will be torn down and that land will then become parking and the future site for a stadium around 2060....and on and on.

• Like 1

(I am moving this post over from a different thread so that it fits better with the subject matter on this one). It was a response to whether a retractable roof stadium could host enough events over any given year to be financially viable over the long term)

A study would need to be done on other domed NFL stadia and the economic impact they've had, specifically in Indianapolis, Atlanta, Detroit, Dallas, New Orleans, Houston, Arizona, and Detroit.  All but the latter are towns that have strong convention business, and also have the hotel support in their areas to support major events.  But even Detroit's Ford Field hosted one Super Bowl.

A state-of-the-the-art 70,000 seat retractable dome with flexibility to be scaled down to 40,000 for basketball, down to 25,000 (upper deck sealed off) for pro soccer, and other "half house" events could have quite a few uses over the course of any given year:

A minimum of 10 NFL games (2 pre-season and 8 regular season)

Possibly 2 NFL playoff games

2 collegiate football games in the fall (one of the TSU Classics and the UT series)

The Music City Bowl

Super Bowl (if all goes well, could end up in a rotation every 5 years or so like Arizona, Dallas, New Orleans because of their reputations as great host cities)

3 nights of concerts at CMA Week

At least 4 more major concerts

Moto cross event

Monster Truck event

10 days for really huge convention use (would develop a strong relationship with MCC and Opryland Hotel for MAJOR conventions that need 40-70,000 seat capacity for certain gatherings)

20 Major League Soccer games

3 possible MLS Soccer playoff games

2 amateur national soccer matches

1 major religious rally

1 NHL Winter Classic or Winter Heritage game (could be problematic depending on when Music City Bowl is played--need about 5 days to get the ice surface ready)

1 X-Games type event

1 Wrestlemania

2 days of NCAA Basketball Final Four

1 SEC Football Championship game

2 days of Tennessee H.S. Football Championship playoffs

1 day of major rodeo 

TOTAL of 72 events in a really good year, and probably 50 events in a "slow" year.

Nashville has become an entertainment destination city, much like Las Vegas and New Orleans, so it is quite conceivable that major events like these would like to have a city with our ever-growing positive hospitality reputation on their regular docket.

Additionally, there would be other revenue streams from rentals of banquet halls, club level restaurant rentals, stadium tours, Titans locker room tours, Titans Hall of Fame, attached parking garages, etc.

• Like 4

I was part of the Nashville Yes in 1998 that helped lure the Oilers to Nashville and have been a season ticket holder ever since, but I am also one of a growing number that  believe the NFL has gotten arrogant and does attempt to hold cities hostage to these billion dollar plus stadiums or threaten to leave.  I believe that if a team wants a new stadium, they must contribute a significant part of the cost and they should not be allowed to hold cities hostage.  I applaud the city of San DIego for telling the Chargers and their billionaire owner to not let the door hit them in the ass and good riddance.  Billionaire Jerry Jones in Dallas built his Taj Mahal to himself on the backs of Arlington tax payers and they have a school system that is in desperate need of money but the billionaire has his monument for the millionaire players to play in, screw the city's real needs, ditto for Atlanta and their new $2 Billion stadium for the billionaire Blank family. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Interesting read. Sobering. It actually shifted my perspective of San Diego city government and San Diego citizens in regards to the move. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Now that Vanderbilt has announced they will not be playing any more than possibly two football games a year in a new Major League Soccer stadium, speculation has turned to whether Vandy might focus on improving their current stadium or even building a new one.

According to an article in Vandy's campus newspaper, The Hustler, the are not any such plans either way underway at this time.

I would say to do something in that stadium, the cost would be so high, that I think there are other things that are more important, and I’ll give you an example,” he said. “We just, last year, finished a brand-new training room. That training room helps every student-athlete that we have over there. I think that was 150 times more important than renovating the stadium that doesn’t help one student athlete in there.”

He understood the amount of interest in seeing Dudley get renovated, but he implored that there are more important things to handle first.

“I would say the concept of renovating a stadium, I know people want to see it, I know people write me about it all the time,” he said. “It has to get in the queue with everything else. I would say to you ‘Am I spending time at night looking at stadium designs and thinking about how I’m going to raise $158 million to do a stadium?’ No. I’m not.”

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

After seeing posting of photo's of Nissan Stadium in another thread, I couldn't help but wonder if Nashville would ever consider enclosing each end of the stadium and also enclosing the stadium with a retractable roof so that it could truly be a year round stadium and to be more attractive for the Super Bowl and the NCAA Final 4.  If they did do that, I wonder how much would it cost and how long would it take?  I suppose if done in stages, the Titans and TSU could still play there while the construction is underway.

• Like 2

I doubt the existing stadium was built for the added weight of a roof. The retrofitting could be as expensive as starting over. Perhaps you could tear down half the stadium and fast track rebuild that half before the next season and then do the same on the other half. It would be an interesting exercise to see what is possible.