Jump to content

Recommended Posts


34 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

^ Bristol Motor Speedway is a small track and it holds well over 100K.

Since the early 2000s…attendance has been shrinking.  At one time, Dover’s track in Delaware seated 135,000…but is now down to about 50k.  I’m not sure what Bristol’s attendance is now…but I have a feeling they’ll be shrinking down the seating soon.  That is part of the reason NASCAR is looking at more “intimate” tracks like the Fairgrounds…plus being that it’s historic, may be reason #1.  They really want more short tracks and road courses, from what I’ve read.  I’m sure they’d love to pack Bristol’s 100k+ stands…but things are not trending that way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

Since the early 2000s…attendance has been shrinking.  At one time, Dover’s track in Delaware seated 135,000…but is now down to about 50k.  I’m not sure what Bristol’s attendance is now…but I have a feeling they’ll be shrinking down the seating soon.  That is part of the reason NASCAR is looking at more “intimate” tracks like the Fairgrounds…plus being that it’s historic, may be reason #1.  They really want more short tracks and road courses, from what I’ve read.  I’m sure they’d love to pack Bristol’s 100k+ stands…but things are not trending that way.

Plus Fairgrounds isn’t a two hour drive to the middle of nowhere. 
 

even if Bristol was still having 100k attendance, browns creek and flea market facilities prohibit fairgrounds stadium from having more than 30k seats. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

Plus Fairgrounds isn’t a two hour drive to the middle of nowhere. 
 

even if Bristol was still having 100k attendance, browns creek and flea market facilities prohibit fairgrounds stadium from having more than 30k seats. 

I think if they ever needed to, they could possibly squeeze another 10k+ stands in there if they’re creative (they’d have to maybe do without some of those buildings they show in the last turn.)  I’m guessing they could even find a way to build stands over the creek somehow…but that would be very expensive.

 

73774f6a-80c3-44e5-b85b-026dfb6104f2-D35LWYvXsAEHpt-.jpg

Edited by titanhog
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

The thing to remember is that stadiums everywhere are reducing capacity in favor of premium seating options. (To take the local-ish example, Neyland Stadium is down 7,000 seats from its early-aughties high and will probably lose another 2,000 to 3,000 with the north end zone video board and west club area additions in 2022.) NASCAR has been reducing grandstand seating but in many cases replacing it with RV parking and other party deck-style options. Having both sat in grandstands and camped in an RV for race weekends I'll take the RV any day of the week.

I noticed RV’s were parked right up against the fence on the back stretch at the Superspeedway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, markhollin said:

NHL Stadium Series coming to Nissan Stadium on Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 when the Predators will host the Tampa Bay Lightning!  Announced just a few minutes ago by Commissioner Gary Bettman at State of the NHL Address.  More details forthcoming.

Feb 26….could be 10 degrees…or 80 degrees. ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bark At The Sun said:

Barrier and fencing along north side of KVB Bridge for Indy Car Race.   There was also some milling and smoothing of the asphalt on the east side approach.

Can we have them go around the round a bout where Stix is?  Maybe an accidental crash.  Poles Down!  Poles Down!! ;)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bark At The Sun said:

Indy1.jpg

Indy2.jpg

Very interesting to see the gutter left exposed. I know they don't have a huge slope on them, but at the high rates of speed these cars will be travelling I wonder if it would "pull" cars into the wall if they touch it. It's hard enough riding your bike in those gutters, let alone running 150 to 180 mph in them. 

According to the Post (yesterday) road closures are not expected until August 5th (phew!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Very interesting to see the gutter left exposed. I know they don't have a huge slope on them, but at the high rates of speed these cars will be travelling I wonder if it would "pull" cars into the wall if they touch it. It's hard enough riding your bike in those gutters, let alone running 150 to 180 mph in them.

Probably either 1) Metro made them leave the bike lanes open or 2) they had drainage concerns (either with putting the wall in the gutter, obstructing storm flow, or expecting storm flow through the wall while maintaining acceptable spread into the travel lanes / racetrack). Or the roadway isn't wide enough for two track widths on the bridge but this seems unlikely.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.