41 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Local television ratings for the inaugural IndyCar Big Machine Music City Grand Prix Sunday in downtown were higher than the ratings for the NASCAR Cup Series Ally 400 at Nashville Superspeedway, which also was a first time race. 

The Music City Grand Prix earned a 5.9 rating while the Ally 400, which was run on June 20, earned a 4.1, according to WTVF-5 senior programming director Mark Binda.

It means 65,065 Nashville-area households watched Marcus Ericsson win the 80-lap Music City Grand Prix, which started at 4:30 p.m. and was broadcast on NBC Sports Network. The Ally 400, watched by 45,194 households, was on the NBC Network.  The Music City Grand Prix peaked between 6:00-6:15 p.m. with 70,579 households tuned in. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2021/08/09/tv-ratings-indycar-music-city-grand-prix-beat-nascar-ally-400/5541199001/

I would love to know how many people were watching world-wide.  Pretty sure it was broadcast in dozens of countries.

On 8/9/2021 at 7:32 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I will bet the folks at City Lights were none too happy about the noise and the view. I can think of a certain district over in E Nashville they would be happy in. They would fit right in with the moaners and groaners.

They had a big crowd for the watch party on the rooftop

On 8/9/2021 at 9:53 AM, nashvylle said:

Was this event a one time thing, or will there be another race in the future?

On 8/9/2021 at 10:02 AM, PaulChinetti said:

Just heard on the radio that it's a 3 year contract, so 2 more races after this.

21 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Paul gets the five gold stars for providing the correct answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a 3 year contract with optional 2 years extension

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

Do they ship these to the next Grand Prix venue?  If so, do they use trucks only or trains and trucks?

I believe that is a no. The barriers most likely were purchased by the Grand Prix/Promotion team. Most likely they will go into storage until next year's Grand Prix returns.

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2021 at 5:00 PM, MLBrumby said:

I hope Vandy realizes the price of staying in the SEC just went up... A LOT!  They've talked big, and I trust they mean it.  I hope they have a great and unique plan that will bring lots of opponents' fans to Nashville. No doubt Vandy has been a boon to Nashville, but I'm soured on them since a few years ago. 

Rant alert!! I don't regret having gone to Vandy, but when they waitlisted my son I simply turned away from them. I'm not rich by any stretch, but my wife and I stopped our annual giving (diverted to another school).   But I just don't get Vandy!  My son was the salutatorian of his class, and his ACT was (let's just say) "about as high as you can get".   I only say that because both his parents are alums, and 2 of his grandparents; and for them to waitlist him was like a slap in his face.  I admit it was hard for us too, but we just told him "that's life".   When they called in May to tell him he "could attend" he politely told them he had made his plans to go to "my dad's other alma mater".  So I'm not nearly as high on Vandy as I was 5 years ago, and my youngest child really wants to go to UT, and I expect will get in for next fall ('22). So I think I'll actually become more of a fan of theirs.  Why not? I'm used to losing!  :tw_grimace:

I'm not saying "boo hoo" (I realize it sounds like it). My son is doing great and he's in business school. He doesn't even think about Vandy anymore.  But how in heck can a school like Vandy foster multigenerational fan loyalty by snubbing alums' children like ours?  All my kids' friends applied to the same schools where their parents graduated, and every one of them was accepted there (some with questionable high school records).  

I do know that Vandy de-emphasized children of alumni a few years back.  Lot of angry alumni not able to get their kids into the school.

• Thanks 2

That’s pretty amazing that someone feels like we’ll rise to the top.  It’s another reason we should have done everything we could to build the MLS stadium on the east bank…and yet another reason an MLB team had better find a location there if they want to succeed.

On the street race…I wasn’t crazy about the course.  I understand there’s no way can build it where they’d go through Lower Broad and shut down all of the bars…but I do wish there was a section of the race  that would travel down a street that’s more “Music City”-ish.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, nashvylle said:

The MNF aerial shots were fantastic. A new record for attendance at Nissan Stadium, too. 

Also, the commentators had a ton of great things to say about Nashville. Said it was a destination city for so many NFL fans. 

That was my first game in a VERY long time.  It was an incredible atmosphere.  I don't know if it was official but I heard someone say there were around 22K Buffalo fans there.  And they were LOUD!  City looked good.  

• Like 1