Gotcha. 40,000 is certainly "small" by SEC standards, but if Vandy is able to really create a state of the art campus that attracts marketing partners, students, faculty, etc, I guess that number matters less. At least it would to me haha.

Its not the size but the motion of the ocean after all haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Gotcha. 40,000 is certainly "small" by SEC standards, but if Vandy is able to really create a state of the art campus that attracts marketing partners, students, faculty, etc, I guess that number matters less. At least it would to me haha.

Its not the size but the motion of the ocean after all haha

LOL... they do have the ingredients for a compelling campus (and football) experience. Being hopeful. 

Couple more pics from the Vandy United release today..

View from the proposed roundabout at Jess Neely, Vanderbilt Place and Natchez Trace. This will be amazing!

McGugin-From-Jess-Neely.jpg

I think this is the view from inside the South Endzone building ("concourse"). 

Football_concourse.png

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

After this is done I'm guessing the capacity will be reduced to around 34,000-35,000 rather than 39,000-40,000, I can see they're adding some seating in the north endzone but that's a lot of seat going away in the south endzone.  I'd rather they had left the south endzone alone and do what they are doing in the south endzone in the opened north endzone.  I don't care if Vandy is only selling at half capacity, if you're already the smallest stadium by a mile in the conference you don't go even smaller.  I also can't believe they're not doing anything with the double wide in the sky they call a pressbox, that needs modernized as well.  Sorry I'm not a fan, I don't like when stadiums are not symmetrical and the "upgrades" they are doing on the south endzone makes it very unsymmetrical. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I feel like the renovations are tremendous, and will get the casual nashvillian to attend games even if they aren’t a Vanderbilt fan. Of course the away fans will come in droves- thanks for the tax money. 

I'm an Alabama fan and if I was still in the Nashville area I would be a Vanderbilt season ticket holder or at least several games a year "upgrades" to the stadium or not.  It's still SEC football right there where you live.

• Like 2

The upgrades are a good way for Vanderbilt to work with what they have in terms of the existing stadium. I still think they would have been better off partnering with Nashville SC for a dual-use stadium seating 30,000 to 35,000 on or adjacent to campus. The combined resources could have produced a brand-new stadium with modern luxury suites and broadcast facilities, a partial roof, and architecture befitting the rest of the campus.

MTSU announces $100 million in upgrades to athletic facilities including a student athlete performance center, updates to Murphy Center basketball arena, and an indoor practice/training facility for all athletes.

More at The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/colleges/why-100m-facility-upgrade-project-is-a-big-deal-for-mtsu/article_7525881e-4699-11ec-8505-77f2af30d910.html

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, FrankNash said:

^^^Travel teams will love this.  It needs hotels with kitchens and living space for budget minded families to stay for weekend tournaments. 

Richard Seigel park in M'boro has around 20 soccer fields.  They've been spending a fortune replacing about 10 of them with artificial turf and an indoor soccer arena.  They just held a national youth soccer showcase that brought several hundred college recruits and teams from pretty much every state.  This will be good for M'boro!

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 4:19 AM, markhollin said:

Clarksville: Montgomery County's F&M Bank Arena continues to be rumored as a location for possible Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) franchise.  The SPHL would be considered A or AA pro league (the only AAA league is the American Hockey League, which is the direct funnel into the NHL where the Predators play). I believe the arena will have an approximate 6,000 capacity for hockey.

The current SPHL is made up of these markets:

Knoxville, TN
Hunstville, AL
Birmingham, AL
Macon, GA
Pensacola, FL
Fayetteville, NC
Roanoke, VA
Evansville, IN
Moline, IL
Peoria, IL
Danville, IL

Minor league hockey games are great............i actually prefer to go to those instead of NHL games.   I lived in Little Rock Arkansas in the mid-late 90's, and there were 2 minor league hockey teams at the same time for a couple of years.............Arkansas Glacier Cats (WPHL) played at Barton Coliseum, and the Arkansas Riverblades (EPHL) played at Alltel Arena.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bark At The Sun said:

Minor league hockey games are great............i actually prefer to go to those instead of NHL games.   I lived in Little Rock Arkansas in the mid-late 90's, and there were 2 minor league hockey teams at the same time for a couple of years.............Arkansas Glacier Cats (WPHL) played at Barton Coliseum, and the Arkansas Riverblades (EPHL) played at Alltel Arena.    

I wish Chattanooga would push for an arena downtown next to Finley Stadium for some minor league hockey/concerts, there is nothing to do in the winter

• Like 3

On 12/10/2021 at 12:51 PM, Brichar4 said:

Would be a great stadium for possibly the state championship football games. And wouldn’t disturb any pro/college team season so they could spread them more as well! Unless Vanderbilt’s stadium renovation  had something to do with a deal with that 

I apologize in advance for what is going to be an unnecessarily detailed response to this comment, but I was thinking about this during the BlueCross Bowl games last weekend so I've pre-gamed this subject and have info handy.

Here are the stadium requirements for hosting the BlueCross Bowl from the last RFP the TSSAA published (covering this year's and next year's games):

https://cms-files.tssaa.org/documents/tssaa/2020-21/championship-bids/Football-Bid-Info_RFP-2020.pdf

The most restrictive requirement by far is the luxury suite requirements; while the TSSAA only requires as few as two, most stadiums in Tennessee have zero, so the games are more or less limited to college stadiums, the Car Hole, and a couple of other venues (more on this in a second). The press box and locker room requirements are also cumbersome but any stadium with luxury suites should meet the press box requirements. I suppose you could fill most of the requirements with temporary facilities, with the possible exception of the luxury and press boxes, but it's unclear how much profit is made from hosting the games so we'll assume everything needed is pre-existing.

If we do, here's the list of football stadiums in Tennessee that can host the BlueCross Bowl:

• Neyland Stadium
  • Nissan Stadium
  • Liberty Bowl
  • Vanderbilt Stadium (has already hosted)
  • Floyd Stadium (MTSU, has already hosted)
  • Finley Stadium (UT-Chattanooga, has already hosted)
  • Tucker Stadium (TTU, has already hosted)
  • Graham Stadium (UT-Martin)
  • Fortera Stadium (APSU)
  • Hale Stadium (the non-car Hole)
  • Greene Stadium (ETSU)
  • Pioneer Field (Tusculum College in Greeneville)
  • ETSU/MSHA Athletics Center (not sure if the field has been pulled up but the Mini-dome would be the only indoor field in the state meeting requirements)

I left some stadiums off this list because I don't think they have luxury boxes but I could be wrong. Ironically, the two largest stadiums with the most extensive press facilities and best luxury suites both have natural grass fields which is not preferred in the RFP due to the wear and tear of nine games in three days.

If you want to get weird with it, here's a list of non-football stadiums in Tennessee that could host the BlueCross Bowl with only the need to plop in a field:

• Bristol Motor Speedway (the dragstrip could as well if it were big enough)
  • Nashville Superspeedway
  • Nashville SC Stadium
  • AutoZone Park (Memphis Redbirds)
  • First Horizon Park (Sounds)
  • AT&T Field (Chattanooga Lookouts)
  • The Ballpark at Jackson
  • Smokies Stadium (Sevierville)
  • Lindsey-Nelson Stadium (UT baseball)
  • CHI International Stadium (Chattanooga Red Wolves SC)
  • Memphis International Raceway (maybe not, they may have demolished the luxury boxes which were in Turn 1 anyway)

It'd be my preference to rotate all willing venues in the first list on a yearly basis, even if they are jammed up in the corners of the state. 

As an aside, there is interestingly no apparent capacity requirement to host the BlueCross Bowl, possibly because it's assumed that any stadium that has a large press box, luxury suites, and five locker rooms will be plenty large to host the games. The TSSAA cites three-day attendance in the RFP that doesn't quite match the per-game records, but it sounds like you can expect between 3,000 and 5,000 fans per game. This is less than some high school teams draw for regular season games, so presumably if the games were held around the state in the right locations with the right teams reaching the championship, it could be a lot more. For example, a Class 6A championship between Science Hill and Dobyns-Bennett held at Greene Stadium would probably sell out with standing-room only, although that would require a lot of things to go right with the venue, team performances, and playoff brackets.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 7:30 PM, markhollin said:

Legacy Sports Tennessee will be a $350 million, 260 acre state-of-the-art complex and I-840 and Northwest Broad Street in Murfreesboro. There will be 1 million sq. ft. of sports fields (baseball, football, soccer),  courts for volleyball and basketball, indoor/outdoor performance venues, retail/dining options, fitness and gaming centers. A 6,000 seat soccer stadium and 3,000 capacity outdoor amphitheater are also planned. It will employ 1,000 people, with the hop of hosting upwards of 3 million people annually.  It is expected to be open by 2024.

More here:

http://www.owp.com/legacy-nashville.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021.12.10 NASH&utm_term=NASHtoday Subscribers - MASTER

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wsmv.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/ac/cac1adf6-5941-11ec-847d-574f30a83370/61b28790391ed.pdf.pdf

And at The Daily News Journal here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/legacy-sports-to-invest-350-million-in-expansive-sports-entertainment-venue-in-murfreesboro/ar-AAREUMG?ocid=uxbndlbing

And at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/12/10/legacy-sports-tennessee.html

Legacy Sports Tenn, Dec 9, 2021, site map 2.png

528303265_LegacySportsParkDec1020219.png

Legacy Sports Park, Dec 10, 2021, 8.png

502275591_LegacySportsParkDec1020217.png

Legacy Sports Park, Dec 10, 2021, 6.png

Legacy Sports Park, Dec 10, 2021, 5.png

589140864_LegacySportsParkDec1020214.png

404592239_LegacySportsParkDec1020213.png

374884535_LegacySportsParkDec1020212.png

404729164_LegacySportsParkDec1020211.png

HBO Real Sports did a good piece on the travel sports industry a few years ago (see below).   A lot of very small towns have made big bets on drawing this travel tournament traffic,  taking on a lot of debt to build huge facilities and setting up a scenario where some of these projects are sure to lose out on these investments because you can only have so many.    Murfreesboro is probably well located geographically, with proximity to Nashville   (and of course this project is a private enterprise)  to avoid being one of the losers among the competing complexes......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...