• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the Vandy United fund and expansion plans for athletics facilities.  A 34 minute video with Candice Lee and Al Harris (Populous architect) from last week with renderings   

Here's the VU site with more renderings ...  https://vucommodores.com/vandyunited/ 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The Nashville Predators are in talks with the city of Spring Hill i(n Williamson County) and Southeast Venture developers for a two rink hockey complex in the massive June Lake project (2,900 residential units, 3.9 million sq. ft. of office space, 1.3 million sq. ft. of retail, 400 hotel rooms) . This ice center would be similar to the Ford Ice Centers that the Preds have in Antioch and Bellevue.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/05/05/predators-june-lake.html

Is the one they're planning for Sumner County under construction yet? 

36 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The 2031 Men’s Rugby World Cup and the 2033 Women’s Rugby World Cup may be in Nashville’s future.

The Ireland-based World Rugby Council, which oversees the games, chose the U.S. as host nation for the games on May 12.  Nashville is among 24 other cities vying to host matches in either or both World Cup tournaments in 2031 and 2033.

The 2019 Rugby World Cup games hosted in Japan reportedly netted the country about $4.97 billion in business, experts told Orlando Business Journal.

A projected 4.1 million fans could attend both World Cup events in the U.S.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/05/13/us-nashville-rugby-world-cup-mens-womens-2031-2033.html

My sister was able to attend the Tokyo World Cup and enjoyed it tremendously and my girlfriend watches the Six Nations Tournament every year, to which I have begun to pick up and really appreciate the sport. Rugby is brutal but also an incredible sport to watch! I guess Nashville's international presence has grown in years and should continue to grow into the next decade to warrant such an event. 

If folks are interested in some of those Celtic style sports, I also recommend checking out Hurling/Camogie as it is considered the fastest sport on grass and is wild to watch (I attended an even when they played inside Fenway Park).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, markhollin said:

WNBA has Nashville on its short list for one or two expansion franchises.

The WNBA plans to narrow down expansion finalists sometime between September and December. The league is currently considering 10 to 12 cities with Nashville, Oakland, Philadelphia, Portland, San Francisco and Toronto the likely favorites to land a team.

Expansion fees for the WNBA could be north of the $15 million to $20 million range. Once approved, the expansion teams could begin playing as early as the 2024 season dependent on access to existing usable facilities, corporate sponsorship commitments and season ticket sales.

If Nashville did land a WNBA franchise, the franchise could potentially play at Bridgestone Arena, which has hosted a women’s Final Four and the SEC men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, or at Municipal Auditorium, which previously hosted the OVC men’s and women’s basketball tournaments. 

Bridgestone would be considered the likely frontrunner as it has a higher capacity for basketball games (18,500 seats compared to Municipal’s 8,000), and the 2014 Final Four was one of the more successful in the event’s history. In total, the event drew 8.38 million viewers, and it was the most-watched (4.27 million viewers) and highest-rated (2.8 rating) national championship game since 2004.

Municipal would also presumably need to undergo significant renovations if used as a WNBA facility.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/sports_business/nashville-reportedly-on-short-list-of-wnba-expansion-cities/article_8aa98c54-e2ab-11ec-bb1e-57a4acf8640b.html

Wnba Playoffs Sport GIF by WNBABring it on!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...