Metro has a lot of irons already in the fire in terms of adding to/improving the sports landscape here. Let's finalize an overhaul of Nissan Stadium and address the roof issue, let's get the MLS stadium built and ironed out, and let's figure out what to do with the fairgrounds racetrack to address its future (or lack thereof). Adding MLB to the mix right now seems like an unnecessary addition unless a private investor truly is ready to write a fat check and carry the load.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, nashmoney said:

According to the article, overall MLB attendance is down and has been declining for years. Not sure how much if this is accurate, since yahoo tends to get things mixed up. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mlb-attendance-is-down-again-and-rebuilding-teams-are-getting-hit-hard-014951998.html

I've been seeing that the slow pace of the game works against MLB in our faster paced lifestyles. They've tried to speed up the games but it hasn't worked.  A few years ago I went with 2 friends to the the Yankees play in their new stadium. As fun as it was, after 4 innings we were all like, okay, time to go.....

My buddies and I used to take a weekend baseball in Cincy, as it's between all 6 of us. Plus, it's a great ballpark. 

We stopped doing the ballgame thing when we all realized just how much we were spending to bake in the sun and pay too damn much for beer and food. We now meet in one of our cities every fall and watch football games in a sports bar. Much cheaper. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

My buddies and I used to take a weekend baseball in Cincy, as it's between all 6 of us. Plus, it's a great ballpark. 

Ditto; haven't in seven years now.  Surrounding area was always more fun, i.e. Newport and Covington.  At the ballpark, we would head up to the Machine Room for the majority of the games.

Edited by tragenvol

I think the only way Nashville would get NBA is if the Grizzlies relocated here.  I just don't see that happening.

If MLB were to come, I think it would have to be a smaller/intimate stadium of 30k-35k seats.  I'd love to see First TN Park be that stadium as that location is great.  In my opinion, MLB can really thrive locally if the stadium is in the right location.  But, I recall seeing something that the stadium was built to where it couldn't be added onto.

• Like 4

Renovate the Nissan site with a dome but maybe buy out PSC and make room for a baseball facility as well for the future. I don't think Nashville is quite ready for 81 home baseball game support just yet. Titans could play a season at the MLS stadium (like the Chargers are doing) or at Vandy if those dope heads ever get off their money and renovate the worst facility in Power 5 athletics.

Could do it with minimum local tax exposure with the $200 million subsidy the Titans/NFL will kick in, maybe a few hundred million on a hotel/motel/BnB tax, and some private partnership dollars to develop mixed use on the site.

Using the existing location should save a few hundred million on site acquisition cost.

• Like 2

Basketball is ruled by a clock, baseball is ruled by its own internal logic, it takes as long as it takes.   I fight a clock at work, I don't need to do it for leisure.  But I'm in the minority.   People that drive for a living usually want to watch NASCAR, where cars drive in a meaningless circle and go nowhere, I guess it's a metaphor for their lives.  People that race against a clock for a living want to watch boring games like basketball where people race against a clock.  I seriously think basketball is the most boring activity imaginable.   What do people see in this?  I like baseball because it takes me out of the stupid pointless clock-bound rules that have taken over every aspect of our lives.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

Basketball is ruled by a clock, baseball is ruled by its own internal logic, it takes as long as it takes.   I fight a clock at work, I don't need to do it for leisure.  But I'm in the minority.   People that drive for a living usually want to watch NASCAR, where cars drive in a meaningless circle and go nowhere, I guess it's a metaphor for their lives.  People that race against a clock for a living want to watch boring games like basketball where people race against a clock.  I seriously think basketball is the most boring activity imaginable.   What do people see in this?  I like baseball because it takes me out of the stupid pointless clock-bound rules that have taken over every aspect of our lives.

To each their own, of course, and that's an interesting perspective that I hadn't ever considered.  However, I'll still take basketball any day of the week and ten times on Sunday.  It's high energy, it's non-stop action, it's tense situations that involve battling your opponent and, yes, the clock in order to prevail.  Baseball games take three and a half hours or more to finish, and three hours of that is literally just guys standing still doing nothing in a field.  I might as well just go to the park and people watch for three hours.  Eh... not for me.  If you like baseball then you would go crazy over cricket, in which it can take literal days to finish a match in some formats!  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

People that drive for a living usually want to watch NASCAR, where cars drive in a meaningless circle and go nowhere, I guess it's a metaphor for their lives.  People that race against a clock for a living want to watch boring games like basketball where people race against a clock. 

I’m a hockey fan. I suppose it’s because of a cold maternal presence in my childhood and an existential feeling of always being on thin ice. Idk, I’ll ask my therapist.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

People that drive for a living usually want to watch NASCAR, where cars drive in a meaningless circle and go nowhere, I guess it's a metaphor for their lives.  

I drive for a living and can’t stand nascar or any other racing. It’s on the same level of boring as major league baseball.

I would watch a Nashville Sounds game but MLB isn’t worth my time. Nashville needs to stick with the Nashville Sounds and forget about MLB. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2019 at 9:26 PM, Buildtall said:

Nashville needs to stick with the Nashville Sounds and forget about MLB. 

I'd also add Vanderbilt to that mix -- the Dores are consistently one of the best college baseball teams in America, and their stadium isn't bad, either.

Nashville is fortunate to already have a few baseball options without MLB.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been watching baseball for a while now....haven't been to a Reds game since I moved up here 4 years ago.

I think Nashville's Metro population needs to grow to 2.5 to 3 million before it can support MLB-and everything else.

Let the Sounds do their stuff in the new ballpark for the time being before moving up the ladder.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

The owner of the Carolina  Panthers has broached the subject of building a retractable roof stadium in Charlotte to house his NFL team within the next decade. From Football Stadium Digest...

Carolina Panthers owner David Tepper continues to make his argument for a new retractable-roof stadium, pointing to the high-profile events it could draw.

In the long run, this push could lead to a retractable-roof stadium in Charlotte, as Tepper has been making the rounds to outline his vision for a new facility to replace Bank of America Stadium. The idea behind a retractable-roof stadium is to not only create a modern environment for NFL and potentially MLS games, but to also bring more major events to the Carolinas. The Final Four is being touted as part of that mix, though in theory a retractable-roof stadium would also make a compelling case for a Super Bowl and other events.

The Charlotte stadium is 23 years old and the owner, David Tepper, who only bought the team in the last year or so, is trying to stir up interest in building such a stadium which would likely cost well above a billion dollars.

I bring this up as the time approaches, in my opinion, to have a similar discussion in Nashville. I do feel that the Adams, if still owners, would be acceptable to major upgrades to the existing stadium, however.

• Like 3