Questions that come to my mind are, how long will Korean Vets Bridge, and road be out of commission to prep for and clean up after this event? It’s a heavily traveled path. What about the parking lots at Nissan? Many serve as parking for downtown workers. The draft closed streets for weeks. It will be a lot easier for lots of us to simply work from home, but access to hotels, restaurants and downtown in general, could be pretty frustrating.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Questions that come to my mind are, how long will Korean Vets Bridge, and road be out of commission to prep for and clean up after this event? It’s a heavily traveled path. What about the parking lots at Nissan? Many serve as parking for downtown workers. The draft closed streets for weeks. It will be a lot easier for lots of us to simply work from home, but access to hotels, restaurants and downtown in general, could be pretty frustrating.

Music City GP stated that work to prepare would be done intermittently and at night, and that they expect 3 days of full closure. 

• Thanks 2

I'll admit to be overly cynical on matters like this, but I remember promises that the NFL Draft would have minimal road closures and the reality was about 4 weeks prior and almost 2 weeks after. I'd promise the road would never be closed - to gain access to it. Again being chronically cynical, I've worked downtown over 24 years and these assurances are so often hollow. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 4

After reading this, I feel less optimistic about this MLB proposal.  If you can't put it close to downtown, you're going to be making a mistake.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2020/09/18/nashville-stars-baseball-stadium-tennessee-titans-not-nissan-stadium/5829634002/

Even after Titans President and CEO Burke Nihill said Friday that a Major League Baseball park will not be built on the Nissan Stadium campus, Music City Baseball Managing Director John Loar is not willing to give up on the idea.

Loar is trying to bring a Major League Baseball franchise to Nashville and gained momentum recently when Justin Timberlake and renowned baseball executive Dave Dombrowski joined the effort as investors and advisors. The team would be called the Nashville Stars.

Loar has said his first choice for the ballpark would be on the East Bank of the Cumberland River with hopes that the Titans would embrace the idea

"We're open to look at all opportunities on the East Bank and we would hope the Titans' ownership would embrace this opportunity within their campus," Loar said. "Because we think it creates opportunity to do something unique and create a family sports and entertainment environment, which I think is complimentary to the city and the state."

While Loar said the East Bank is his group's first choice, it also is considering two other sites for a ballpark — either on the campus of Tennessee State or at a property in Williamson County.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 3:25 PM, nashvylle said:

TSU would be much better than Williamson County, particularly with the team name tying to the negro leagues. 

I don't see a MLB stadium being built on the campus of TSU unless it is also conducive to football, which from what I understand, the group is not interested in a multi-use stadium.  I personally hate football games in  baseball stadiums.  I could see it being a revenue stream for TSU, but I don't see it benefiting the university that much.  I could be wrong.  Now, if the group wants to throw in significant funding to completely renovate Hale Stadium for TSU, then that could be a win win.  And, if they agree to re-establish (i.e. fund) TSU's baseball team.  That could be an additional enticement. 

Also, keep in mid the land they would build on at TSU is a flood plain that currently has no flood barriers.  There's also very little to no utility infrastructure in that area.  Whereas, if they bought out land that is to the south of the KVB bridge or struck a deal with the River North developers, they would at least be building in an area that is closer to downtown and would be less costly to develop because the infrastructure can be expanded a lot easier.  I think they could also build in Metro Center.  And, before going to Williamson County, why not explore even the Trinity Lane/I-24/65 area?  I don't recall anyone looking to develop the property that is at the southwest corner of Trinity Lane and Brick Church Pike.

• Like 1

The downtown stadium plan is pretty much the biggest factor keeping me remotely interested in this expansion idea, so I really would hate for them to do a suburban stadium. What are the potential reasons for the Titans organization to oppose the idea? I realize that they'd lose a little bit of parking, but further activating that area of town doesn't feel like it would harm the team much. Does anybody have any idea?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, henburg said:

The downtown stadium plan is pretty much the biggest factor keeping me remotely interested in this expansion idea, so I really would hate for them to do a suburban stadium. What are the potential reasons for the Titans organization to oppose the idea? I realize that they'd lose a little bit of parking, but further activating that area of town doesn't feel like it would harm the team much. Does anybody have any idea?

The Titans, from my understanding, can develop the land that Nashville Stars want to use for the stadium and development. In other words, Titans would lose out on all that money. 

If a MLB stadium is built, it will be built closer to the core of Nashville, for the simple reason that when folks go to a game they want entertainment, hotels, restaurants, and the rest of what brings people to Nashville. That would mean building all of those ancillary projects around a new stadium. where none exist today. Its not like Marietta where there were already a lot of hotels and besides there is nothing to really draw folks to downtown Atlanta anyway. Nashville's nightlife on Broadway is hard to beat for most any city in the US, even though it is not my cup of beer. 

They will not put it in WILCO or TSU or any where away from the core that people will have to drive to the game. Folks want to be able to stagger back to their hotel!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

If a MLB stadium is built, it will be built closer to the core of Nashville, for the simple reason that when folks go to a game they want entertainment, hotels, restaurants, and the rest of what brings people to Nashville. That would mean building all of those ancillary projects around a new stadium. where none exist today. Its not like Marietta where there were already a lot of hotels and besides there is nothing to really draw folks to downtown Atlanta anyway. Nashville's nightlife on Broadway is hard to beat for most any city in the US, even though it is not my cup of beer. 

They will not put it in WILCO or TSU or any where away from the core that people will have to drive to the game. Folks want to be able to stagger back to their hotel!

On the East Bank between the railroad trestle and Spring Street/Jefferson Street! Clean up the entire East Bank with this and the other project announced today and use the parking spaces as commuter lots just as Nissan Stadium does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

On the East Bank between the railroad trestle and Spring Street/Jefferson Street! Clean up the entire East Bank with this and the other project announced today and use the parking spaces as commuter lots just as Nissan Stadium does.

$50-$100mm in acquisition costs. Or just work with RMR on the TA Trucking site they are developing. 

• Like 1

Other teams are starting to see cases pop up now as well, with the Patriots having their two best players test positive and the Chiefs and Raiders also getting at least one positive test. I realize that the NFL's logistics make the bubble model utilized by the NBA and NHL tough, but it still seems like this current plan isn't quite working. There is little to no room in the schedule to account for rescheduling games which is a nightmare considering the virus' incubation period. It's going to be interesting to see possible next steps if things continue trending the way that they are. 

• Like 1