Yes... but I'll have to qualify that to what the stadium looked like 15 years ago.  They've expanded with at least one major addition (maybe two) since then.  That would be the upper deck at the left. If you can find pictures of their stadium from around 2005, you'll see great similarities to what Vanderbilt stadium could be NOW... it was probably a bit larger than Vandy needs now (IIRC 45K at TCU back then) but it gave a sense of largeness. They had a congregation area at the (South?) endzone that Vandy should put in at their eastern endzone and it needs to be connected by concourse to both sideline wings of the stadium.  I was impressed by their stadium back then.. and their football program's success has undoubtedly allowed the expansion of the upper stands and (I think) the upper level at the endzone.  Wouldn't be surprised if their stadium now holds around 65K fans.  

Regarding Vandy's current footprint... I'll first say they don't need as much capacity as TCU has now. However, Vandy has acquired much acreage around the stadium, including the property where the Holiday Inn and the adjacent office building... as well as the former restaurant building next door (IIRC that was J Alexanders).  They may have also acqured the Wendy's property, but I'm not sure.  Overall, I still believe TCU has the model for Vandy to build upon; although TCU is a couple of decades ahead of them.  

If we played make-believe and Vandy ever decided they wanted to be competitive and NIL turned out to be a boon for the richest university in the SEC... and if they ever decided to leverage the transfer portal to get really talented rejects from the power schools (I said let's make believe for a moment), then I don't think Vandy would even need to expand/move their stadium into the land they own on West End.  If they did a slight reroute of Natchez Trace to bend/merge with 28th Avenue to West End (closing Natchez Trace between 28th/Jess Neely to West End), they'd have all the space they need to expand their current stadium.  But we Vandy alums have given up on any hopes they'd ever become competitive. So we look for lots of tailgating opportunities.  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

That was the way it looked when I visited back in '05.  And the bowl itself is very close to what Vandy is now.  See my comments above on your wondering if they have enough land to expand where the stadium is now.  It would be a long-term proposition, but one that could be done if Natchez Trace is closed between 28th Ave/Jess Neely and West End.  There's lots of land to expand out as well as up, but that's going to be a couple of decades out.  They don't even fill up the place as things are now.  So sad!!  

Two things Vandy could do now...

1)  Build a plaza area with some 'premium' seating at the current open endzone. 

2)  Build a level of private boxes along both sides. Sell as private seat licenses if necessary.  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Vandy Stadium yes small is a unique looking stadium that could be cool but unfortunately built using cheap materials.  Cover the steel with brick and morter.  I agree with your two points, they need to replace the double wide in the sky they call a pressbox and replace it with a new pressbox/luxury suites running the whole length of the west grandstand and duplicate that on the east side so both sides match.  Take out or build on top of the current east/west grandstands if needed to ensure it fit within the stadium and Natchez Trace on the west and the stadium and Hawkins Field/Memorial Gym on the east and to make sure the east and west luxury box towers match.  lastly do something with the north endzone, if the building of luxury suites cause lost seating to the east and west grandstands than duplicate the south endzone seating in the north to recoup the losses.

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry but Women's sports will never bring in the dollars the men's sports bring in, so it will always have problems competing. I am not sexist but a realist. Women want equal pay in the sports but if the sport is not bring in money as the counterpart of the male sport they will never get that pay and their sport will fail because it will go bankrupt. I am just being real.

Maybe in another 20 years or so it could happen. Too much division even among women as far as equal rights. I am all for women being registered for the military draft. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. You cant have it both ways. Equal pay in one area and not being able to be called on to do a job in another because you are female.

• Like 1