cityboi

Hyatt Place Hotel / Carroll at Bellemeade Apartments in downtown Greensboro

Recommended Posts


3 hours ago, urbanpirate said:

...... still not finished

And frankly, not particularly close to being done. IMO, it'll be mildly surprising if this development is completed by the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a comparison., the Bellmeade project broke ground approximately May 2015.  38 Months later, completion date remains TBD.  The massive Crescent Stonewall Station in Charlotte (mixed-use project on East Stonewall Street which includes 450 apartments units, up to two hotels and an additional 15,000 square feet of retail space and Whole Foods) breaks ground January 2016 and is almost complete as of Spring 2018.  Totally unacceptable construction timeline in Greensboro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, urbanpirate said:

As a comparison., the Bellmeade project broke ground approximately May 2015.  38 Months later, completion date remains TBD.  The massive Crescent Stonewall Station in Charlotte (mixed-use project on East Stonewall Street which includes 450 apartments units, up to two hotels and an additional 15,000 square feet of retail space and Whole Foods) breaks ground January 2016 and is almost complete as of Spring 2018.  Totally unacceptable construction timeline in Greensboro.

Why has this been taking so long? Has Roy just been working on it by himself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drawscape said:

Why has this been taking so long? Has Roy just been working on it by himself?

The excuse has been a construction worker shortage. Also, apparently Carroll "admitted" that he has taken some extra time picking out "just the right upgrades" to make in certain places. 

But yeah... three years to basically build some mid-rise apartments and a mid rise hotel is ridiculous. And at this rate, we may be looking  at a construction time of four+ years when all is said and done. If there was such demand for this development, you would think a man of Carroll's means would pay extra to ensure that he got priority on construction workers.... but I'm guessing demand has been pretty lackluster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually we are finally seeing some progress. Exterior brick, wood panelling etc. Are finally being installed on the buildings. The exterior of the Hyatt is almost completely done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

Now the grasshoppers just need another giancarlo stanton to come through the ranks and blast homers over the right outfield wall:tw_grimace: :tw_smile::tw_smirk:

A week or two ago when I went to a Grasshoppers game, the Asheville Tourists did a great job of that. There were at least two home runs that cleared the outfield netting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, drawscape said:

How many years has this project been under construction?

About three... for a mid rise hotel and apartment building. But at least it does appear that it will get done.

But yeah, I don't understand how Project 561 is feasible for Carroll, but he can't get this project going in a reasonable timeframe. At the very latest, the first tenants should be renewing their one year leases right now. Instead, we're still a few months away from move in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, HRVT said:

About three... for a mid rise hotel and apartment building. But at least it does appear that it will get done.

But yeah, I don't understand how Project 561 is feasible for Carroll, but he can't get this project going in a reasonable timeframe. At the very latest, the first tenants should be renewing their one year leases right now. Instead, we're still a few months away from move in.

Any idea why it would take this long for this project? Too many moving pieces -- i.e. working with the hotel, contractor, residential and their contractor? Or could it have been the site? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rufus said:

Any idea why it would take this long for this project? Too many moving pieces -- i.e. working with the hotel, contractor, residential and their contractor? Or could it have been the site? 

It seems that the number of working pieces may have played a role. Carroll said something a while back about changing some of the materials used at the last second. Though I think the construction worker shortage has played the biggest role.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RichardC said:

One section is about as unattractive as another...!

Actually that brick will get painted like the other side....

 

I love this shot from this magazine. It's an older photo because Carroll at Bellemeade is further along but I love it.

20181002_184003.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This a great project! I'd go so far as to say it's transformative for downtown gso. And I actually really like the look of it too. 

As for the timeline, it is almost certainly to do with labor shortage, so working with less workers than what would be ideal. But there are plenty of other causes for setbacks that could be relatively minor but if you have enough of them, it'll take a toll.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My drive by photos today.  Getting closer but this seems to have taken a long time from the first time I saw this site.   

 

IMG_6648.JPG

IMG_6649.JPG

IMG_6650.JPG

IMG_6651.JPG

IMG_6652.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.