Ritz Carlton Hotel /Residential (46 stories & 32 stories, 240 rooms, 150 condos, 185 apts,), 560 capacity garage

markhollin

8 hours ago, dragonfly said:

"...  unlike anything in the current Nashville skyline " except like the rest of the skyline it would conform to the flat top 30~31 story canon. I don't get why these developers don't do something really different for Nashville, like build a 34 story building. You would think it would be good for marketing. Like imagine this: "Our offices are on the 33rd and 34th floors".

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The big issue here is that many on the board want a new tall boy, but as long as these 25 to 30 stories buildings are being built (office that is), then we will not get a tall- boy high-rise unless we get a major, and I mean a major HQ relocation.

Even with land prices at a all time high in Nashville, there are so many parcels left to build on, its not even funny. Just look at the River North development...110 acres, a number of large parcels in SoBro, a few parcels in the CBD, West End, Midtown, etc......Lot of land to build on.

To answer dragonfly's question, and to add what smeagolsfree noted, is it really financially feasible to construct office space at that height? Of course these developers are studying real estate prices, market rates, rents, etc. to determine what realistically can be constructed. 

Certain heights are going to lead to the introduction of new code regulations, additional costs regarding architectural and structural design, additional construction materials and most of all, higher rates. Can a developer market spaces with higher than market rate rents to compensate for the additional height? I'm not for sure, but that's probably where the answer lies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arkitekte said:

To answer dragonfly's question, and to add what smeagolsfree noted, is it really financially feasible to construct office space at that height? Of course these developers are studying real estate prices, market rates, rents, etc. to determine what realistically can be constructed. 

Certain heights are going to lead to the introduction of new code regulations, additional costs regarding architectural and structural design, additional construction materials and most of all, higher rates. Can a developer market spaces with higher than market rate rents to compensate for the additional height? I'm not for sure, but that's probably where the answer lies. 

I think it depends on IF they have someone prepared to take X amount of the building before they build.  If it's all spec...then yes, I can't imagine them going any higher.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The big issue here is that many on the board want a new tall boy, but as long as these 25 to 30 stories buildings are being built (office that is), then we will not get a tall- boy high-rise unless we get a major, and I mean a major HQ relocation.

Even with land prices at a all time high in Nashville, there are so many parcels left to build on, its not even funny. Just look at the River North development...110 acres, a number of large parcels in SoBro, a few parcels in the CBD, West End, Midtown, etc......Lot of land to build on.

Totally agree with this. In order to get a 600+ "all office" tower, Nashville would have to land a Fortune 500 corporate relocation  ranked 1-100 on the fortune list.The only exception might be a bank HQ relocation (such as Regions) as banks love to strut their financial power with extravagant "trophy towers" .  In this financial climate, that is the only way. However an office spec with a hotel component within the same tower could be possible (though not likely). My feeling is that within the next 25 years, the only hope of crossing that 600-700ft mark will be apartment/condo/hotel.  

Edited by troyboytn

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
23 hours ago, urbanplanet17 said:

I'm not sure if there has been any updates on this project, but I'm going to think out loud here for a second.

So I read an article from a couple months ago that Asurion was looking for 300,000 sq. ft. of space in order to consolidate their offices around the Nashville area. From my understanding, one of these offices include Asurion's IT center in downtown Nashville at the corner of KVB and 2nd Avenue.

Also, from what I understand, Asurion currently has a long-term lease with the owner of the huge vacant lot bounded by Malloy, KVB, 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue, to ensure their employees have a dedicated place to park. To me, this arrangement is frustrating because with the Drury Plaza, Hyatt Place and the Hayes/Hines buildings all surrounding it soon, this parcel will be begging for a 20-30+ story building or two in order to solidify the infill in this part of town.

With all of that said, I'm also sure that Mainland would ideally want to line up a tenant for this office tower with 400,000+ sq. ft of space before they begin construction (which may be why we haven't seen much in the way of renderings or heard actual start dates).

So, just spitballing here (not sure how likely any of that is to happen), wouldn't it be awesome if Asurion reached an agreement with Mainland to become the main tenant of their office tower? Then, not only would that help to kickstart this project, but it would also open up the parcel next to their IT center to the development it deserves (and I'm sure plenty of interest has been expressed).

Thoughts?

Yes.  Yes it would.

Let me play devil's advocate and ask... because honestly I do not know the right answer.
If Asurion is looking to consolidate all its offices in Nashville that means it would be the corporate office in Grassmere park (which includes a large call center), offices near the airport, downtown IT offices and maybe the call center in Antioch?  Does it make sense to move the call center portions from the burbs to downtown?  My assumption is that the 300,000 rumored space needed includes them as well.

So, if not downtown... where?  Cool Springs?  Airport area?  (blech)

Edited by TheRaglander
For more content...

7 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

Yes.  Yes it would.

Who all is in Asurion's Ragland office? Is it only IT personnel or other departments? Just whoever wants to work downtown?

To me the question is whether the corporate headquarters wants to relocate from Grassmere (right?) to downtown, or more generally whether they want to relocate everyone downtown. With apologies, usually it's the suits in CBD high-rises and the support departments in the low-rent office parks, not the other way around. If the vast majority of the Nashville employees are from the latter then it may not make sense financially to be downtown.

4 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

Who all is in Asurion's Ragland office? Is it only IT personnel or other departments? Just whoever wants to work downtown?

To me the question is whether the corporate headquarters wants to relocate from Grassmere (right?) to downtown, or more generally whether they want to relocate everyone downtown. With apologies, usually it's the suits in CBD high-rises and the support departments in the low-rent office parks, not the other way around. If the vast majority of the Nashville employees are from the latter then it may not make sense financially to be downtown.

Ragland location is (for the most part) IT and the HR staff to support IT.  

I updated my comment above to provide more specifics.

1 hour ago, TheRaglander said:

Yes.  Yes it would.

Let me play devil's advocate and ask... because honestly I do not know the right answer.
If Asurion is looking to consolidate all its offices in Nashville that means it would be the corporate office in Grassmere park (which includes a large call center), offices near the airport, downtown IT offices and maybe the call center in Antioch?  Does it make sense to move the call center portions from the burbs to downtown?  My assumption is that the 300,000 rumored space needed includes them as well.

So, if not downtown... where?  Cool Springs?  Airport area?  (blech)

45 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

Hasn't Bridgestone already set a precedent with the consolidation of *every* worker for their core divisions in Nashville (from different parts of the country no less)? So I'm not sure that the viability of a similar move by Asurion would be an issue from a financial standpoint, especially if we're talking only having to deal with one facility, one landlord and one lease. 

To add, we're at a time now where companies are struggling to attract talent due to their undesirable locations in low-rent office parks (suburbs are out, CBDs are in). Thus, employers all over the country scrambling to relocate and establish a presence in central, urban locations in response. I imagine you're going to see a lot more employers who want to get in on this boom in downtown Nashville by establishing a significant presence early on before space really is at a premium (a similar thing is happening here in Detroit with suburban employers).

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, urbanplanet17 said:

Hasn't Bridgestone already set a precedent with the consolidation of *every* worker for their core divisions in Nashville (from different parts of the country no less)? So I'm not sure that the viability of a similar move by Asurion would be an issue from a financial standpoint, especially if we're talking only having to deal with one facility, one landlord and one lease. 

To add, we're at a time now where companies are struggling to attract talent due to their undesirable locations in low-rent office parks (suburbs are out, CBDs are in). Thus, employers all over the country scrambling to relocate and establish a presence in central, urban locations in response. I imagine you're going to see a lot more employers who want to get in on this boom in downtown Nashville by establishing a significant presence early on before space really is at a premium (a similar thing is happening here in Detroit with suburban employers).

Up and coming places like Barry Farms are probably a fraction of the cost of $/sq foot too.  Prestige would be great, but so is a lower cost.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...