markhollin

One KVB Circle, 30 stories, 475,000 sq. ft. office tower, 25,000 sq. ft. retail, 1,200 car garage, SE corner of KVB and Lafayette in SoBro

Recommended Posts


I was hoping for something with a dramatic crown, but at least the 5 different levels of the stacks will create some interesting angles, shadows, and dimensions from various viewpoints.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markhollin said:

I was hoping for something with a dramatic crown, but at least the 5 different levels of the stacks will create some interesting angles, shadows, and dimensions from various viewpoints.  

Part of me honestly believes that there may be reservation from architects about overtaking the AT&T Building. I mean, it's not the most gorgeous skyscraper in the world and it has a terrible street activation, but when you see that building, anywhere, you immediately can recognize it. That is what you call iconic, and it's because I know folks all over the world that know Nashville for the music scene and that very skyscraper. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to figure out why any developer would want to put a crown on a building. As much as I would want to see a beautiful crown on a building downtown, I also don't see much of a benefit to the developer. Crowns aren't cheap, and I would think that most crowns aren't going to substantially raise the amount of revenue that a building might bring in.  If it is expensive and doesn't provide additional revenue, then the conclusion is that there will be fewer profits. Unless a developer has an inherent desire to pay for architectural features for the benefit of the skyline, I just don't see much hope of one happening in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the ATT tower is very ugly. Only one angle do I like... the thin side (coming in from I-40/24 east of downtown). But even then, I think it's already starting to look quite dated.  I feel the same way about the Duke Power building in Charlotte.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we're not really getting much of a crown, I think it would help if the glass was a different tint than the blue that's been so common in the recent SoBro towers. Is there a reason why so many of these towers have a similar tint? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I think the ATT tower is very ugly. Only one angle do I like... the thin side (coming in from I-40/24 east of downtown). But even then, I think it's already starting to look quite dated.  I feel the same way about the Duke Power building in Charlotte.  

I have a love/hate relationship with ATT. Hate it during the day, love it at night. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it was mentioned before the rendering was released that it would be something Nashville has never seen and they’re spot on. The different heights on various spots of the building is definitely different. I like it overall, still doesn’t top the JW Marriot, but it’ll definitely look good out there. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

I'm trying to figure out why any developer would want to put a crown on a building. As much as I would want to see a beautiful crown on a building downtown, I also don't see much of a benefit to the developer. Crowns aren't cheap, and I would think that most crowns aren't going to substantially raise the amount of revenue that a building might bring in.  If it is expensive and doesn't provide additional revenue, then the conclusion is that there will be fewer profits. Unless a developer has an inherent desire to pay for architectural features for the benefit of the skyline, I just don't see much hope of one happening in the future.

I completely agree. My least favorite crown is the Bank of America Tower in Atlanta. No matter how I see it, even at night, with it's copper glow, it still makes me think the building is incomplete. 

481358751_7dcc320545_b.jpg

Also, the Great American Tower at Queen City Square in Cinicnatti looks absolutely ridiculous. image.png.208dec4e25f6eff42dd0f18ae6ae0701.png

Crowns with usable floor space are relics of older styles of architecture. Unless it's a spire or simple mechanical screen, modern glass skyscrapers with crowns just look outdated. That's one reason I love 505.

 

 

image.png

Edited by NashvilleObserver
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm indifferent to unfinished looking crowns in the daytime, but as nashvylle said about AT&T, I love them at night. They typically add really cool shape and lighting schemes to nighttime cityscapes. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BOA Plaza in Atlanta was supposed to have glass adorning the crown but they did not structurally engineer the steel to bear that weight load and thus you see the final product. It is the harshest crown I think in the country. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Great American bldg. here in Cincinnati, don't care too much for the BOA bldg. in Atlanta,  mainly because of the color.  The crowns, if done well, can be a welcome addition and can add more definition to a tower.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice building, I like this proposal and think it will fit in well with the skyline.  Any idea when it should break ground?

Speaking of crowns, I think one of the more interesting crowns is the Hearst Tower in Charlotte.  It took me a while to get use to it but now it's one of my favorite skyscrapers around.  

Hearst Tower, Charlotte, NC

Edited by jtmonk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

That thing is hideous!  One of the female partners in my firm calls it "Giant Dildo". 

Haha yeah, put I promise, it grows on you.  As for giant dildo, that's the old wachovia tower in winston salem. 

Image result for wachovia tower winston salem

Anyway, didn't mean to throw this off topic.  I think what you guys have proposed is pretty nice, just wish it was about 10 floors higher. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I completely agree. My least favorite crown is the Bank of America Tower in Atlanta. No matter how I see it, even at night, with it's copper glow, it still makes me think the building is incomplete. 

481358751_7dcc320545_b.jpg

Also, the Great American Tower at Queen City Square in Cinicnatti looks absolutely ridiculous. image.png.208dec4e25f6eff42dd0f18ae6ae0701.png

Crowns with usable floor space are relics of older styles of architecture. Unless it's a spire or simple mechanical screen, modern glass skyscrapers with crowns just look outdated. That's one reason I love 505.

 

 

image.png

Cincinnati had a weird way of interpreting things. "Crowns", "Chili".

16 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

That thing is hideous!  One of the female partners in my firm calls it "Giant Dildo". 

There's a lake on West End that could use that title...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.