Ritz Carlton Hotel /Residential (46 stories & 32 stories, 240 rooms, 150 condos, 185 apts,), 560 capacity garage

markhollin

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

I was hoping for something with a dramatic crown, but at least the 5 different levels of the stacks will create some interesting angles, shadows, and dimensions from various viewpoints.  

Part of me honestly believes that there may be reservation from architects about overtaking the AT&T Building. I mean, it's not the most gorgeous skyscraper in the world and it has a terrible street activation, but when you see that building, anywhere, you immediately can recognize it. That is what you call iconic, and it's because I know folks all over the world that know Nashville for the music scene and that very skyscraper. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out why any developer would want to put a crown on a building. As much as I would want to see a beautiful crown on a building downtown, I also don't see much of a benefit to the developer. Crowns aren't cheap, and I would think that most crowns aren't going to substantially raise the amount of revenue that a building might bring in.  If it is expensive and doesn't provide additional revenue, then the conclusion is that there will be fewer profits. Unless a developer has an inherent desire to pay for architectural features for the benefit of the skyline, I just don't see much hope of one happening in the future.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I think the ATT tower is very ugly. Only one angle do I like... the thin side (coming in from I-40/24 east of downtown). But even then, I think it's already starting to look quite dated.  I feel the same way about the Duke Power building in Charlotte.  

I have a love/hate relationship with ATT. Hate it during the day, love it at night. 

• Like 1

Well it was mentioned before the rendering was released that it would be something Nashville has never seen and they’re spot on. The different heights on various spots of the building is definitely different. I like it overall, still doesn’t top the JW Marriot, but it’ll definitely look good out there. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

I'm trying to figure out why any developer would want to put a crown on a building. As much as I would want to see a beautiful crown on a building downtown, I also don't see much of a benefit to the developer. Crowns aren't cheap, and I would think that most crowns aren't going to substantially raise the amount of revenue that a building might bring in.  If it is expensive and doesn't provide additional revenue, then the conclusion is that there will be fewer profits. Unless a developer has an inherent desire to pay for architectural features for the benefit of the skyline, I just don't see much hope of one happening in the future.

I completely agree. My least favorite crown is the Bank of America Tower in Atlanta. No matter how I see it, even at night, with it's copper glow, it still makes me think the building is incomplete. 

481358751_7dcc320545_b.jpg

Also, the Great American Tower at Queen City Square in Cinicnatti looks absolutely ridiculous. image.png.208dec4e25f6eff42dd0f18ae6ae0701.png

Crowns with usable floor space are relics of older styles of architecture. Unless it's a spire or simple mechanical screen, modern glass skyscrapers with crowns just look outdated. That's one reason I love 505.

image.png

Edited by NashvilleObserver
  • Like 2

Very nice building, I like this proposal and think it will fit in well with the skyline.  Any idea when it should break ground?

Speaking of crowns, I think one of the more interesting crowns is the Hearst Tower in Charlotte.  It took me a while to get use to it but now it's one of my favorite skyscrapers around.  

Hearst Tower, Charlotte, NC

Edited by jtmonk
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

That thing is hideous!  One of the female partners in my firm calls it "Giant Dildo". 

Haha yeah, put I promise, it grows on you.  As for giant dildo, that's the old wachovia tower in winston salem. 

Image result for wachovia tower winston salem

Anyway, didn't mean to throw this off topic.  I think what you guys have proposed is pretty nice, just wish it was about 10 floors higher. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I completely agree. My least favorite crown is the Bank of America Tower in Atlanta. No matter how I see it, even at night, with it's copper glow, it still makes me think the building is incomplete. 

481358751_7dcc320545_b.jpg

Also, the Great American Tower at Queen City Square in Cinicnatti looks absolutely ridiculous. image.png.208dec4e25f6eff42dd0f18ae6ae0701.png

Crowns with usable floor space are relics of older styles of architecture. Unless it's a spire or simple mechanical screen, modern glass skyscrapers with crowns just look outdated. That's one reason I love 505.

image.png

Cincinnati had a weird way of interpreting things. "Crowns", "Chili".

16 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

That thing is hideous!  One of the female partners in my firm calls it "Giant Dildo". 

There's a lake on West End that could use that title...

• Like 1