Ritz Carlton Hotel /Residential (46 stories & 32 stories, 240 rooms, 150 condos, 185 apts,), 560 capacity garage

markhollin

6 hours ago, titanhog said:

The context…as I took it…was that we were whining about Austin getting an 800’ Ritz while ours is only about 600’.  Rolly could have picked any city…say B’ham, Lousville, Memphis, etc that would love to have a Ritz at all.   It wasn’t a slight at Memphis as much as it seemed he was saying we’re whining about our Ritz when a city like Memphis would die to be in our position…which I’m sure they would be (just like 100 other cities).  Again…I think you were being overly sensitive…but then again, I can’t read Rolly’s mind.

It would maybe be a draw…but I have a feeling I’d chicken out pretty quickly. :lol:

As to the context ... that makes sense. I failed to take note of that as I was reading through the posts quickly. My fumble.

I'll take that draw!!!!

58 minutes ago, Skyscrapergeek said:

B7636EB3-9B64-462B-A89A-6AB9B9A8E9DF.gif

Are you sure you want to see Bill Williams in wrestling tights?

9 hours ago, rolly said:

@East Side UrbaniteI appreciate your point. And I did note the forum's rules about no city comparison-types of posts. 

Frankly, Memphis is like a lot of other places that are just super slow going with downtown crane sightings.  Like Knoxville.  Birmingham. Louisville.  Lucky to have a tower or two going on.  So it's not a slight on Memphis. Just that Nashville is so on fire now with these amazing marquee projects battling over who will be the highest on the skyline. An amazing time for us urban geekers!

I agree with all this. When did you move to Florida? I though you still lived in Raleigh (my sister attended N.C. State).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LA_TN said:

I visited Memphis with my son, before the pandemic, and was blown away by several of the museums. Really showed what a matured city can offer! Love the light show on the Hernando DeSoto Bridge! Taking a boat ride, the Pink Palace, and so much more! Great place to bike! It's a city with great promise, just give it some time!

Now, let's please get back to the Ritz-Carlton! OUR Ritz-Carlton!

This Memphis-born poster appreciates the kind words, Bob.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brichar4 said:

I honestly wouldn’t mind something like this here in Nashville, it might not age the best design wise but i would love to see more variance in general. Cohesive design to the general space of course, but some diversity to really build uniqueness in the skyline. 

I don't understand what you're talking about. Are you talking about:

Parkway Towers, Double Tree, The Source, Tennessee, Fifth Third, Nashville City Center, L & C, Sheraton, Renaissance, Philips, UBS, Cumberland?

15 minutes ago, Licec said:

I don't understand what you're talking about. Are you talking about:

Parkway Towers, Double Tree, The Source, Tennessee, Fifth Third, Nashville City Center, L & C, Sheraton, Renaissance, Philips, UBS, Cumberland?

Apologies, in regards to “new” development and major projects with the cities growth. The historic classic structures will always be the base of what Nashville is. 

32 minutes ago, Brichar4 said:

Apologies, in regards to “new” development and major projects with the cities growth. The historic classic structures will always be the base of what Nashville is. 

So new developments like:

Hampton Inn, Graduate Hotel, Viridian, Cambria, Omni, Joseph, SoBro, HCA, LifeWay, SkyHouse, Abion, Alcove, MGM, etc don't count, correct?

11 hours ago, titanhog said:

The context…as I took it…was that we were whining about Austin getting an 800’ Ritz while ours is only about 600’.  Rolly could have picked any city…say B’ham, Lousville, Memphis, etc that would love to have a Ritz at all.   It wasn’t a slight at Memphis as much as it seemed he was saying we’re whining about our Ritz when a city like Memphis would die to be in our position…which I’m sure they would be (just like 100 other cities).  Again…I think you were being overly sensitive…but then again, I can’t read Rolly’s mind.

It would maybe be a draw…but I have a feeling I’d chicken out pretty quickly. :lol:

and Austin will be whining about our new Waldorf Astoria under construction here in Miami lmao: 100-Story Waldorf Astoria Residences Announces Q1 2022 Groundbreaking – The Next Miami

It is going to be 1,049 ft tall making it the new tallest here.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, East Side Urbanite said:

I would like to politely ask that you refrain from future similar posts about Memphis. You do a strong job with your contributions to the board, and I'm sure this was simply meant to be playful (and not flippant or malicious). Still, I was born in Memphis and love the city and found this post a bit offensive. Obviously, Memphis has struggled to see urban growth and development like Nashville. But your post comes across as an unprovoked cheap shot.

No big deal, Rolly. Just please be aware.

Thanks

It's called inferiority complex. When there are daily cries about "height" and "crowns" by many on the board, posts like the one you are referencing are a manifestation of that complex. Notice the attack was not toward a certain has been city or a certain never was town.

Edited by Licec

27 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

and Austin will be whining about our new Waldorf Astoria under construction here in Miami lmao: 100-Story Waldorf Astoria Residences Announces Q1 2022 Groundbreaking – The Next Miami

It is going to be 1,049 ft tall making it the new tallest here.

Quite a change from their usual repulsive window frame cladding most of their buildings have. This one actually looks good.

1 hour ago, Licec said:

So new developments like:

Hampton Inn, Graduate Hotel, Viridian, Cambria, Omni, Joseph, SoBro, HCA, LifeWay, SkyHouse, Abion, Alcove, MGM, etc don't count, correct?

I think some will especially after completion, but even then would love to see more of the scale (height) with similar design styles. It is however always easy to always hope for “bigger and better” like I’m sure many of us do, but still very excited about the projects in the near future and currently under construction already. It’s been so fun to watch this city grow!

On 6/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, East Side Urbanite said:

I would like to politely ask that you refrain from future similar posts about Memphis. You do a strong job with your contributions to the board, and I'm sure this was simply meant to be playful (and not flippant or malicious). Still, I was born in Memphis and love the city and found this post a bit offensive. Obviously, Memphis has struggled to see urban growth and development like Nashville. But your post comes across as an unprovoked cheap shot.

No big deal, Rolly. Just please be aware.

Thanks

I genuinely love Memphis too, but it's an instate 'rival' and this is a Nashville board.  What you're doing here is like hanging out on a Yankees message board and being offended to see unprovoked sleights about the Red Sox.  It seems to me that just because you have history with both teams doesn't mean that everyone should have to walk on egg shells as a result. It would be a different story if such commentary was abusive, pointed, and/or relentless, but that clearly seems not to be the case here. 

I do think there is a fair argument to be made against punching down (and the same could be said about Yankees disparaging Red Sox for most of their histories), but I personally believe that rivalry trumps in this instance, especially in the case of good-natured ribbing as opposed to full blown trash talk. Also, it would have been odd if Rolly had made his joke about Des Moines or Madison, Wisconsin or some other similarly situated non-rival city, which I'd bet has more to do with his choice to reference Bluff City than anything actually having to do with the city or its residents.

I respect you to the max William, but your defensiveness about Memphis on this board (your only shortcoming here in my opinion) is more of a detraction to discussion than most (but certainly not all) of the comments about Memphis to which you've felt the need to respond over the years.  I wish in the future that you would take these opportunities to advocate for Memphis instead of advocating that others be more mindful of your sensitivities. While I think it's good for others to be aware of said sensitivities in order to avoid unintentionally rubbing you the wrong way, it would also be good for you to try to take it less personally when someone inevitably portrays Memphis in a less than flattering light. No big deal, just my 2 cents. 

And to close in an amicable spirit in light of our shared goals, allow me to start offer an incomplete list of things that Memphis does better than Nashville: 

1. Elvis 

2. Infrastructure

3. Minor League Baseball

4. River(s)

5. Lack of Bachelor/ette parties

6. BBQ

7. Basketball on all levels

8. Islands

9. Soul Music

10. Garbage Eating Goats

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, East Side Urbanite said:

I definitely can be defensive (and protective) about Memphis. But I'm also that way about other cities that I feel have taken some harsh (and sometimes cheap) shots from folks of all persuasions (Buffalo, Detroit and Cleveland come to mind) — on this board or not. It's the "sticking up for the little man" in me.

I strongly feel that we Nashvillians should be humbled by what we are experiencing. But sometimes we lose perspective.

I couldn't agree with this sentiment more.  Well said.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

You failed to mention the GORGEOUS Orpheum Theatre, the beautiful trolly cars, South Bluffs neighborhood, the Pink Palace and the Ornamental Iron Museums, an expansive riverfront park and Mud Island, and of course, The Peabody Hotel. Memphis has much to be proud of already, and a time of renaissance will come sooner or later.

Strong ones, too. A quality list.

17 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I couldn't agree with this sentiment more.  Well said.

:tw_thumbsup:

14 hours ago, titanhog said:

William…I’m going to send you a PM every day with a “diss” towards Memphis…and you can send me a “diss” about my home state of Arkansas.  I have a feeling you’ll win. :rofl:

I need to visit Fayetteville, Shay. I hear it's a wonderful city.  I like Little Rock, too. Very underrated city.

:tw_smile: