CHKD In-Patient Tower (Completed)

mikeas

There is mention in the latest planning agenda about a new medical tower and parking garage for CHKD.

5. Institutional Development Plan – a. To amend a previously adopted Institutional Development Plan for the Eastern Virginia Medical Center to construct a new medical tower and parking garage for the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The height and density in this area of Norfolk is skyrocketing.  This is directly across the street from Fort Norfolk Plaza, and within 2 blocks of the 17 story Tarrants Bay, 27 story river tower, and newly heightened Sentara.  This is really starting to become midtown Norfolk. 

On 1/5/2017 at 7:32 PM, Brennen said:

I just talked to a friend that works for CHKD and she described it as a 100,000 lowrise with plans to tear down the existing tower upon completion. 

I'm not seeing why they would tear down the existing tower. It's kind of iconic and should be reused. Also, the new building is more of a mid to high rise. Really hoping they don't tear down the old one.

8 hours ago, vdogg said:

I'm not seeing why they would tear down the existing tower. It's kind of iconic and should be reused. Also, the new building is more of a mid to high rise. Really hoping they don't tear down the old one.

This is definitely not what she described.  But it looks great and is certainly better than her description.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brennen said:

This is definitely not what she described.  But it looks great and is certainly better than her description.

Perhaps this means they won't tear down the old tower either. It's odd there's been no article about this yet. It's a pretty major development for that area. It'll be nice to see 3 towers going up simultaneously in that area.

• Like 1

If you read the permit it says that there will be offices and day treatment at this tower.  It says that this tower will not have overnight care.  Therefore, the other tower must remain as their main treatment facility unless they plan to completely do away with long term care at CHKD.  Highly unlikely!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Norfboy said:

Hi All,

I believe the new medical tower will replace the existing medical tower, not the hospital. It's the kinda ugly building in the parking lot. CHKD bought it a year or two ago.

Yes this was the impression I got from her. Sorry if that wasn't clear. From what I've seen the only thing that seems to be miscommunicated was the overall size. 

• Like 1

• vdogg pinned this topic

For clarification, the shorter grey building next to this new structure WILL be demolished. This was confirmed in the City Council meeting on February 28th. Dr. Whibley had to abstain from the vote because her offices are located in the building to be demolished. The tower was approved by a 6-0 vote but still must go through design review before construction under a condition set by the planning commission. No idea what they're planning to do with that land once the old building is demolised.

chkd4.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

That shorter grey building definitely needs to go. I took my mom to a doctor's appointment in there and the state of the building leaves much to be desired. It's old, rickety, and poorly layed out. Have no idea where they plan to move offices, as the new tower would be for CHKD, but something needs to be done.

• vdogg unpinned this topic
6 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

This may need some more ironing out but as far as I was tracking the new tower pictured in 23320's post is the mental health facility. 

This brown building does not exist, the tower that it’s attached to does, but not in it’s current form. This is the new “in-patient” facility. This is separate and apart from the medical office tower that is to the left and out of frame in this image. That tower is in the rendering that 23320 posted. It fronts Brambleton and is directly across from FNP.

AEFE6D7A-6824-4F13-81DB-50E63673C935.png