CHKD In-Patient Tower (Completed)

mikeas

Construction crews will begin bulldozing for the $224 million project this fall. It’s slated to open its doors in 2022.

Since last year, project leaders have fleshed out the facility as a 14-story tower, with three empty floors built into the design for future growth in either inpatient or outpatient services

And there you have it, construction this fall. I do believe this is the most technical "highrises" we've had under construction in Norfolk simultaneously in the last 20 years (perhaps more), which is sad, but at least were headed in the right direction. Now all we need is Gateway...

• 3 weeks later...

Very preliminary site work is underway. Nothing really worth taking a picture of, mostly utility markings and flags. There is also construction equipment staged in an area nearby off site. Probably will see demolition of the parking lot area begin within the next few weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baobabs727 said:

Nice.  I've always thought that their trademark wave roof was a little bit corny, so I'm glad it was toned down here a bit. 

Now can someone give us an updated summary of the various known floor and meter/ft counts for these three high rise  buildings?

Hard info to come by in the updated documents. It’s 210 ft to roof of penthouse, about  225-230 ft overall for CHKD.  River Tower is officially listed at 265 ft, but I feel it might be just a little taller than that (perhaps closer to 280). EVMS is 150 ft.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, vdogg said:

Hard info to come by in the updated documents. It’s 210 ft to roof of penthouse, about  225-230 ft overall for CHKD.  River Tower is officially listed at 265 ft, but I feel it might be just a little taller than that (perhaps closer to 280). EVMS is 150 ft.

Thanks!  CHKD looks massive and tall. Amazing presence.  The three of them together in a sort of stairstep fashion with lots of glass should look great. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They’ve really kicked it into high gear after a brief lull. Tons of heavy equipment and construction workers on site actively clearing land. Didn’t have time to take a pic, but I’ll probably stop by sometime this weekend. Will not take them long to clear land at all at the pace they’re going. Will probably see pile driving start within the next 2 weeks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks as though pile driving for the tower portion has been completed, however pile driving for the garage portion is still ongoing. Land for the tower portion is now being excavated, I wouldn't be surprised to see tower crane pieces delivered within the next few weeks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Judging by the schematics and layout of the building footprint, I believe this may be the tower crane base about to be poured. Hopefully we have some good weather this week and perhaps get the tower crane up by the end of the month. All the rain we’ve had seems to have slowed down this project and River Tower considerably.

68EEF856-16C6-4688-BF20-2698AC7117B4.jpeg

• Like 1

Base is in place. Pad still needs to be poured. Gonna take a week or so before they can put load on it I suspect (took about a week for the River Tower crane). This one is yellow like the EVMS tower crane. Makes me wonder if they’re just going to shift that one over as they should be about done with it.

06C70D6F-5CAB-476D-BC8A-78B84C5A0F59.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...