mikeas

New CHKD Tower

17 posts in this topic

There is mention in the latest planning agenda about a new medical tower and parking garage for CHKD.

5. Institutional Development Plan – a. To amend a previously adopted Institutional Development Plan for the Eastern Virginia Medical Center to construct a new medical tower and parking garage for the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters.

1 person likes this

I just talked to a friend that works for CHKD and she described it as a 100,000 lowrise with plans to tear down the existing tower upon completion. 

1 person likes this

Hmmmm, that's a head scratcher to me. Isn't the current CHKD larger than 100K sq. ft.? It doesn't seem like downsizing CHKD makes much sense in a time of growth.

1 person likes this

Here's a couple of screengrabs from the PDF. Looks like it'll have quite a presence along Brambleton. Hopefully they keep the extensive use of glass.

chkd.jpg

chkd2.jpg

chkd3.png

chkd4.jpg

The height and density in this area of Norfolk is skyrocketing.  This is directly across the street from Fort Norfolk Plaza, and within 2 blocks of the 17 story Tarrants Bay, 27 story river tower, and newly heightened Sentara.  This is really starting to become midtown Norfolk. 

"Downtown" Proper is gonna have to step up the height on any new projects...

2 people like this

On 1/5/2017 at 7:32 PM, Brennen said:

I just talked to a friend that works for CHKD and she described it as a 100,000 lowrise with plans to tear down the existing tower upon completion. 

I'm not seeing why they would tear down the existing tower. It's kind of iconic and should be reused. Also, the new building is more of a mid to high rise. Really hoping they don't tear down the old one.

Those are my thoughts as well. The only reason I think they would raze the older CHKD is if they need the space for future projects, and if the new tower renders it unnecessary. I would say the proposed new tower is definitely a mid-rise.

8 hours ago, vdogg said:

I'm not seeing why they would tear down the existing tower. It's kind of iconic and should be reused. Also, the new building is more of a mid to high rise. Really hoping they don't tear down the old one.

This is definitely not what she described.  But it looks great and is certainly better than her description.

2 people like this

It looks similar to the one they built by the Princess Anne Hospital except this will be 8 stories taller

3 hours ago, Brennen said:

This is definitely not what she described.  But it looks great and is certainly better than her description.

Perhaps this means they won't tear down the old tower either. It's odd there's been no article about this yet. It's a pretty major development for that area. It'll be nice to see 3 towers going up simultaneously in that area.

1 person likes this

If you read the permit it says that there will be offices and day treatment at this tower.  It says that this tower will not have overnight care.  Therefore, the other tower must remain as their main treatment facility unless they plan to completely do away with long term care at CHKD.  Highly unlikely!

1 person likes this

Hi All,

I believe the new medical tower will replace the existing medical tower, not the hospital. It's the kinda ugly building in the parking lot. CHKD bought it a year or two ago.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Norfboy said:

Hi All,

I believe the new medical tower will replace the existing medical tower, not the hospital. It's the kinda ugly building in the parking lot. CHKD bought it a year or two ago.

Yes this was the impression I got from her. Sorry if that wasn't clear. From what I've seen the only thing that seems to be miscommunicated was the overall size. 

1 person likes this

The permit says there will be a direct connection to the existing tower right next to this new one.  I would have to go back and look but from what I read that tower should be staying.

For clarification, the shorter grey building next to this new structure WILL be demolished. This was confirmed in the City Council meeting on February 28th. Dr. Whibley had to abstain from the vote because her offices are located in the building to be demolished. The tower was approved by a 6-0 vote but still must go through design review before construction under a condition set by the planning commission. No idea what they're planning to do with that land once the old building is demolised.

chkd4.jpg

1 person likes this