Tampa-St.Petersburg-Clearwater

FlaNatv

I wonder if Tampa, having to share the spotlight with the other two main cities, hurt the metro's image and identity. All these cities here seem to have an identity crisis. Orlando doesn't share the spotlight with Sanford nor Kissimmee. They seem to be able to act with more force and get things done as a region centralized in Downtown O-town. The bus system for example is regionalized and much better that way than Hartline. The expressway authority is regionalized and has a good handle on area transportation needs( though I hate having to pay tolls when cities like Charlotte and Nashville get a free ride). There is a quiet rivalry between the two main cities. The St. Pete Times seems to be a big player in this matter making sure St Pete doesn't get brushed over. To me it seems better for the area if Tampa becomes the central city to the whole region, I am biased though, I live in Tampa. I wonder how other twin-type cities react to each other and work as one one Metro. Anyway, I'd like to here some discussion on this.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100%

My friends and I love going to D-rays games, but I f'n hate that drive to the Trop from USF. Same thing when traveling to janus landing. Sometimes it does seem like St Pete and Tampa are trying to one up each other...

It reminds me of another "bay area", the San Francisco Bay area...

Both have a spectacular landmark bridge, both have a city located on a peninsula, both bays happen to coincide with the name of the largest city, both have cities named after saints (Petersburg=City of Peter and "Saint Francis") and they happen to have the same number of syllables, the city across the bay from both of these cities each has two syllables (Tampa, Oakland), both are located on a west coast, and the metropolitan area is comprised of many different cities, etc.

The problem is there really hasn't been much regional cooperation in the past. I think our leaders are just beginning to understand that to the outside world, we're all one big city...Tampa or Tampa Bay...whatever people feel like calling it. I think it's mainly been a Tampa vs. St. Pete issue. St. Pete has long had the "inferiority complex" -- not satisfied with being just a "suburb" of Tampa. However, I think the city is finally realizing that it'll never be Tampa.

I think once the major cities realize their roles, the area will be much better. Tampa -- employment. St. Pete -- culture. Clearwater -- leisure/resort/tourism. Everyone brings something unique to the table, instead of all three cities trying to be everything. Once we have that understanding, so many other things will come together, such as regional mass transit and regional cooperation on the attraction/expansion of business.

I would argue that St Pete and Clearwater help Tampa more than hinder it.  Tampa wouldnt be nearly the "metro" area that it is without those two.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no such thing as twin cities. Look at Dallas and Fort Worth or Minneapolis and St. Paul. It's also about counties. Hillsborough and Pinellas are like day and night. The only thing Tampa and St. Pete have in common is St. Pete is a little bit cleaner.

^^^I don't understand your point or how that relates to the post you quoted.

I agree that St. Pete and Clearwater make Tampa more attractive, as Tampa makes St. Pete and Clearwater more attractive.

I do agree with that Hillsborough and Pinellas do have different feels -- geographically, culturally, politically.

The San Francisco Bay area is a nice comparison. It seems like they have it together a bit more. At least they came together to create BART.

• 4 weeks later...

^^^I don't understand your point or how that relates to the post you quoted.

I agree that St. Pete and Clearwater make Tampa more attractive, as Tampa makes St. Pete and Clearwater more attractive.

I do agree with that Hillsborough and Pinellas do have different feels -- geographically, culturally, politically.

The San Francisco Bay area is a nice comparison. It seems like they have it together a bit more. At least they came together to create BART.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

INCORPORATED! That's one thing that makes Hillsborough & Pinellas different. Pinellas has over 20 incorporated places, where Hillsborough only has three. And Tampa, Plant City & Temple Terrace are so isolated from each other. Two thirds of Hillsborough County is unincorporated. Brandon is one of the biggest unincorporated places in the USA.

Archived