Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spenser1058

Rays vs. Rowdies and Effect On Orlando?

2 posts in this topic

The St. Pete Times is reporting on a possible turf war as the Rays ponder a new home and the Rowdies seek a berth in MLS:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/its-tampa-bay-rowdies-vs-tampa-bay-rays-in-scramble-for-fans-money-in-st/2311148

Of interest to Orlando: as Mayor Buddy noted at the Pro Bowl, the elephant in the room here for NFL expansion is acceptance by the existing Florida franchises. If MLS takes in the Rowdies just up the road from OCSC, does that impact that argument in the NFL? Also, could the Rays still consider O-town or is it a foregone conclusion they're headed just across the bay to Hillsborough?

(Let me also throw in that I really, really, really wish Poynter could find a way to buy the Sentinel. The Times is such a better newspaper these days.)

Edited by spenser1058

I am biased. I moved into the St. Pete area in high school when Tatu was tearing it up with the Rowdies as an elder up but incredibly talented Brazilan futebol star. I also marched in my HS band at AL Lang. I also am bored to tears with a baseball game and can only garner any interest in the sport through highlight shows.

With Beckham's Miami dream still supported by the MLS but not so much it seems inside Miami, I would love to see this. The plans for the AL Lang stadium are no where near what the Rays wanted totally changing the shoreline and roadways there. 18000 seats. Modest, doable and walkable from nice entertainments. Rays? Eh, kick their grass.

1 person likes this