Sign in to follow this  
walker

RFP - 201 Market

3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I think this just needs to be a complete and solid extension of the rest of DT.

It needs buildings with ground floor activity, along the street, and maybe a new street carved-out of the interior of the property to fit even more. Something "intense" enough that it will spur spin-off development all around that will grow back towards Fulton.

Dedicating the bulk of the property to plazas, parks or event spaces/sporting venues makes me nervous. If those places dont "take", like Calder Plaza, and Monroe Mall didn't, then it is a major opportunity blown.

Connecting to the river is nice, but we have to remember that the river at this location is several meters below and isnt like what you have north of the Fish Ladder. So on most days you are going to be staring at a ditch with concrete walls.

I don't think that that's necessarily true. Because they have to raise this area for the new flood zone requirements, I think they're looking to berm it up so that it's a bit softer along the river, rather than a big giant wall (taller than what is there now I believe). Like this illustration shows. You still have probably at least 1/2 a million square feet of mixed use projects in this diagram, assuming your average height for these types of projects (6 - 15 stories).

-7f6b34b02f2c275c.jpg&key=0160ed62cb1782

I just realized in a search that there was already a topic for this site so I merged the two. 

On 7/6/2017 at 5:07 PM, GRDadof3 said:

The key to making that site great is not going to be the buildings or their height, it's going to be the public realm, parks and how it ties into the riverfront. The budget for that should be as much if not more than the buildings themselves. I mean really, when was the last time you saw a high rise residential building that blew you away? There are a few in Chicago... a few. Most all start to look the same. 

But I will say that the rapids restoration is not going to reach this far South. It will pretty much stop at the Pearl St bridge I believe. However, a world-class park with a really cool pedestrian bridge over to the GVSU side to provide a loop around the riverfront would get my vote. Even Lansing and Kalamazoo have parks along their rivers, let's for once try to go above and beyond that lame same ol same ol that everyone does and has.  

Yes to a cool bridge, like the Ronald Kirk, in Dallas

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 11.49.53 PM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottythe1nonly said:

what?  the S Curve isn't cool enough for you?  

MI+Grand+Rapids+area+where+seven+hate+cr

Something that would be really sweet is if a series of suspension cables were put on the span of the S-Curve bridge from E. Fulton to Wealthy....or maybe just the part that goes over the river.

Purely decorative, it would at least make it look less like a highway going through DT, and over the river.

Pcall-2-BOYNE-BRIDGES00051961-310x415.jp

13 hours ago, wmrharris said:

Yes to a cool bridge, like the Ronald Kirk, in Dallas

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 11.49.53 PM.png

IMG_5895.PNG.1aaf6a2d0c9891c43782536bbd1b72b0.PNG

Here's a preliminary design with a bridge on the site.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WMrapids said:

IMG_5895.PNG.1aaf6a2d0c9891c43782536bbd1b72b0.PNG

Here's a preliminary design with a bridge on the site.

That portion of Faust's vision does look a lot like the GRForward plan. I like it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That portion of Faust's vision does look a lot like the GRForward plan. I like it. 

Just need the subway and hydrogen plant. :whistling:

But yeah, if it weren't totally bogus, his proposal was pretty... interesting.

2 hours ago, WMrapids said:

Just need the subway and hydrogen plant. :whistling:

But yeah, if it weren't totally bogus, his proposal was pretty... interesting.

I was mainly referring to the 201 Market part of his plan, not the Dubai section. :)

• Like 1

***Question*** 

I believe that the proposals need to be in to the city by August 25 and so I've been wondering - will we see them? Is that the kind of thing that is instantly available to see/media/etc or is it something done privately and secretly to be reviewed by the city? Obviously I ask because I want lots of renderings/conceptual to view, review, critique, imagine, etc. haha. Just thought maybe someone on here might have some perspective for the process. 

• Like 1

The city is more concerned with how the property is developed, what it's going to be used for, than they are the purchase price.  They want this to be a special property for our downtown. The bids have to include their purchase price as well as what their plans are for the property.  I don't see how it could be kept "secret" at the point they're submitted.  I am expected to see something released to the public by or before the due date. 

I'm actually surprised we haven't had a Rockford leak already.  There are a lot of people who must know what their plans are.  They leaked the Bridge Street project way ahead of when it was supposed to be announced. 

Edited by scottythe1nonly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scottythe1nonly said:

The city is more concerned with how the property is developed, what it's going to be used for, than they are the purchase price.  They want this to be a special property for our downtown. The bids have to include their purchase price as well as what their plans are for the property.  I don't see how it could be kept "secret" at the point they're submitted.  I am expected to see something released to the public by or before the due date. 

I'm actually surprised we haven't had a Rockford leak already.  There are a lot of people who must know what their plans are.  They leaked the Bridge Street project way ahead of when it was supposed to be announced. 

The city has probably already seen them and been working closely with the development teams. Technically if it's a "staff review" with engineering or planning, then they don't have to be made PUBLIC or part of the Open Meetings Act (as I understand it). Although the city has been increasing transparency when it comes to development projects. Some attorneys have challenged that in the past in different municipalities too. 

I don't know what you'll see August 25th though. I would think at a minimum they will have to show uses, greenspaces, where buildings will be placed (mass and scale/height), but as to specific building designs? Maybe. 

11 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:

Weren't bids due to the city on Friday?  Has anybody heard anything?

Bids were submitted. I've heard they will be public in about 2 weeks, but that may change. Looking forward to Rockford releasing their proposal to the public.

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

My insiders claim every proposal consisted of a cluster of 12 story brown sided boxes. 

I actually snuck a picture of one of the proposals...

thungcartondunghangxuatkhau1-1481765934.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I actually snuck a picture of one of the proposals...

thungcartondunghangxuatkhau1-1481765934.

Looks like a great concept GRDad!  A few small tweaks from an architect and we get our own version of Habitat 67 in Montreal.

271245_7c6529263b703d0fb8df1a0f7d4d288025998c63.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GRLaker said:

My insiders claim every proposal consisted of a cluster of 12 story brown sided boxes. 

Not sure we're too cool for a cluster of 12 story brown sided boxes there. 

Honestly, that would probably rank 'game changer'.

16 hours ago, localtalent said:

Not sure we're too cool for a cluster of 12 story brown sided boxes there. 

Honestly, that would probably rank 'game changer'.

Cabrini Green - East. 

Man, we're all so negative/cynical lately! lol

I got rid of a bunch of posts in this thread, for personal attacks FYI. If someone thinks my post about the color/aesthetics of housing projects is offensive, then I will remove my post as well. 

16 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I got rid of a bunch of posts in this thread, for personal attacks FYI. If someone thinks my post about the color/aesthetics of housing projects is offensive, then I will remove my post as well. 

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

• Like 2