RFP - 201 Market

walker

27 minutes ago, wingbert said:

Coworking spaces are all the rage in large metros.  I'd be curious to see if GR could support the concept.

We have a couple. The Factory and Worklab by Custer.  I think they both do pretty well. WeWork is a fantastic outfit, would love to see them come to town. 

I thought Danny got out of Dodge after Spearia imploded. Always seemed like an interesting guy, hope he makes this work. 

Joe

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

We have a couple. The Factory and Worklab by Custer.  I think they both do pretty well. WeWork is a fantastic outfit, would love to see them come to town. 

I thought Danny got out of Dodge after Spearia imploded. Always seemed like an interesting guy, hope he makes this work. 

Joe

I believe "chased" out of town is a more appropriate term. :) Although I was trying to be nice and not mudsling against people lol.  Spearia did have some interesting networking events; live bands and shit. 

There's a cool WeWorks going in right on Woodward in Detroit, I saw when I was there.

As Joe said, there are plenty of co-working spaces in Grand Rapids already. I think you could call Blue35 a co-working space as well, or at least it was when it opened. 

Anyway, don't want to stray too far off. I've been checking the city's website for any hint of an announcement but nothing yet. Anyone else? 

21 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Remember that whole "tone" thing we were talking about. :)

Let's all try a little harder. And Whitecaps will NEVER move downtown. Maybe when Grand Rapids is the size of Denver, in 2115. ;) (and baseball won't be around anymore)

Why do you say never?  The current park is 23 years old.  These things have a lifespan before owners threaten to move a team if a new park isn't built. I'd wager talks of a new park happen within 15 years. 

Plus I've heard they'd like to go to a higher class if possible. Grand Rapids deserves higher then a low A ball team. 

Edited by ironyisadeadscene

7 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Why do you say never?  The current park is 23 years old.  These things have a lifespan before owners threaten to move a team if a new park isn't built. I'd wager talks of a new park happen within 15 years. 

Plus I've heard they'd like to go to a higher class if possible. 

Right now the Whitecaps own the stadium and the parking. Basically every dime spent on going to a game ends up in the owners pocket. That goes away if they move downtown. Not saying they won't, but I have a hard time thinking they will jump at the opportunity any time soon.

NFL Owners threaten moves to get shiny new stadiums they can show off on ESPN and national tv, not quite the same motives for minor league baseball. Even if they do move up, their stadium capacity is still in line with Double and Triple A stadiums around the country.

Edited by Pattmost20
  • Like 1

Age is the only thing going against 5/3 Ballpark when it comes to looks. It wasn't that long ago that you could make a case for it being one of the nicer Single A parks in the country. They have done a pretty good job overall of keeping it updated to improve the fan experience. However, the 90s look won't go away without a major overhaul.

When it comes to function...My biggest beef with the stadium is that it's too small. Getting box seats that are next to each other  even hours before the game is borderline impossible. If you get there at game time on a weekend to buy tickets, have fun on the hill. I'd love to see a second deck added for the bench seats and an increase in box seats up to where the bench seats are now. Then move them up to Double A. 

Edited by GRLaker

1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

Right now the Whitecaps own the stadium and the parking. Basically every dime spent on going to a game ends up in the owners pocket. That goes away if they move downtown. Not saying they won't, but I have a hard time thinking they will jump at the opportunity any time soon.

NFL Owners threaten moves to get shiny new stadiums they can show off on ESPN and national tv, not quite the same motives for minor league baseball. Even if they do move up, their stadium capacity is still in line with Double and Triple A stadiums around the country.

Seating capacity is right there with other levels of minor league basebal, but other things are not.  they'd need new clubhouses,  lights,  and a few other things. Simply putting a roof to cover part of the grandstand that comes off the suite level would improve the charm alot. 

13 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

The overall park is that old, but the main building was completely rebuilt after that massive fire a few years ago (I the smoke being visible from my office at the time, which was near Burton and E Beltline). Since that building houses all the amenities that really become dated (suites, concessions, etc.), the park is really quite new.

I don't see them moving away from that location any time soon. The current park could easily be expanded by adding additional seating, concourses, etc.: left field is still devoid of seats, and the lawn areas could also be modified. If they still want more, they could rebuild the main concourse (again) and/or the seating in right field.

On 9/7/2017 at 7:11 AM, organsnyder said:

The overall park is that old, but the main building was completely rebuilt after that massive fire a few years ago (I the smoke being visible from my office at the time, which was near Burton and E Beltline). Since that building houses all the amenities that really become dated (suites, concessions, etc.), the park is really quite new.

I don't see them moving away from that location any time soon. The current park could easily be expanded by adding additional seating, concourses, etc.: left field is still devoid of seats, and the lawn areas could also be modified. If they still want more, they could rebuild the main concourse (again) and/or the seating in right field.

I'd love to see them work with what they have and add seats in the outfield (the covered tables in right are nice.) 

A grass area for seating in left would add a ton.  It feels so unfinished in left. 

And a roof!

7 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

I'd love to see them work with what they have and add seats in the outfield (the covered tables in right are nice.) 

A grass area for seating in left would add a ton.  It feels so unfinished in left. 

And a roof!

I just went to a company outing in left field and they have a really cool area down near the field with couches, etc.. And just above it was grass seating. Is that what you're looking for? 

Actually I think it was left infield. Left outfield has a drive behind it. 

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I just went to a company outing in left field and they have a really cool area down near the field with couches, etc.. And just above it was grass seating. Is that what you're looking for? 

Actually I think it was left infield. Left outfield has a drive behind it. 

Yeah have some seats in left and it would feel less sterile 

21 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:

can we get a dedicated thread for Fifth Third ball park rants?

:offtopic:

• GRDadof3 changed the title to RFP - 201 Market
10 hours ago, GrSportsGuy said:

"We have been working on a project for the past 7 or 8 months that will be made public soon, and we are very excited about that."

• Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 4:16 PM, scottythe1nonly said:

It's been 2 weeks since the bids went to the City.  Still nothing released to the public???

This is starting to grind my gears as well. What is the purpose of keeping the concepts in the shadows? Other projects have had concept designs released almost immediately. We know they exist - they just don't want to show anyone.

37 minutes ago, scottythe1nonly said:

I don't think it's a conspiracy.  The city bureaucracy has stuck to their timeline thus far.  I expect we'll get an MLive article soon. 

I'm on their distribution list as well. :whistling:Maybe all the proposals came in and they weren't quite what the city was thinking? 

You soccer fans are going to disappoint a lot of people if it turns out to not have a soccer stadium as part of any of the proposals...

5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm on their distribution list as well. :whistling:Maybe all the proposals came in and they weren't quite what the city was thinking? 

You soccer fans are going to disappoint a lot of people if it turns out to not have a soccer stadium as part of any of the proposals...

I'm a big soccer fan and I really hope the proposal doesn't include a stadium. My hope it that they announce a stadium soon(ish), in a different location.

Joe

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Is a soccer stadium really the "worst kept secret" that started this whole discussion though?  No one's actually confirmed that yet. :)