Sign in to follow this  
walker

RFP - 201 Market

joeDowntown    664
5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm on their distribution list as well. :whistling:Maybe all the proposals came in and they weren't quite what the city was thinking? 

You soccer fans are going to disappoint a lot of people if it turns out to not have a soccer stadium as part of any of the proposals...

I'm a big soccer fan and I really hope the proposal doesn't include a stadium. My hope it that they announce a stadium soon(ish), in a different location.

Joe

RegalTDP    267
6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm on their distribution list as well. :whistling:Maybe all the proposals came in and they weren't quite what the city was thinking? 

You soccer fans are going to disappoint a lot of people if it turns out to not have a soccer stadium as part of any of the proposals...

Is a soccer stadium really the "worst kept secret" that started this whole discussion though?  No one's actually confirmed that yet. :)

Pattmost20    112
6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't like to disappoint.

Why would you want a stadium anywhere other than downtown?   market is a perfect location.  It's Central in terms of the metro area, next to our existing entertainment district.  And it's adjacent to a highway exit, parking and the RAPID station.    

joeDowntown    664
40 minutes ago, scottythe1nonly said:

Why would you want a stadium anywhere other than downtown?   market is a perfect location.  It's Central in terms of the metro area, next to our existing entertainment district.  And it's adjacent to a highway exit, parking and the RAPID station.    

Personally, I don't want it on the river. I hope we get more buildings to face and interact with the river. Looking at all of the stadiums dropped on top of that parcel, it looked potentially like another DeVos Place scenario. 

Like I said, I want a soccer stadium  I just think this lot could be utilized better  but then again, I'm speculating on speculation  haha  

Joe

• Like 2

EastownLeo    140
5 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Personally, I don't want it on the river. I hope we get more buildings to face and interact with the river. Looking at all of the stadiums dropped on top of that parcel, it looked potentially like another DeVos Place scenario. 

Like I said, I want a soccer stadium  I just think this lot could be utilized better  but then again, I'm speculating on speculation  haha  

Joe

I agree, this is not a place for a seasonal stadium. This is a place to pull retail, housing and commercial elements to the river and further south.  

A stadium on the west side of the river creates a much better scenario for parking, traffic, and expansion of the downtown footprint.

• Like 3

joeDowntown    664
29 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

I agree, this is not a place for a seasonal stadium. This is a place to pull retail, housing and commercial elements to the river and further south.  

A stadium on the west side of the river creates a much better scenario for parking, traffic, and expansion of the downtown footprint.

Agreed. I still think the Padnos site would be perfect. Close to downtown. Highway access. A large open area.  Close to GVSU. Prime redevelopment opportunities all around. 

Joe

• Like 2

GRDadof3    1832
1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Agreed. I still think the Padnos site would be perfect. Close to downtown. Highway access. A large open area.  Close to GVSU. Prime redevelopment opportunities all around. 

Joe

Maybe that's why we haven't heard anything yet!! :)

Developer: "Here's our proposal, 6 towers and a soccer stadium. Tada!!"  City: "Ummm, did you guys know that there are plans to build a soccer stadium over at the Padnos site?" 

Just kidding, I don't know at all if that's what happened, lol. 

• Like 3