RFP - 201 Market

walker

If anyone was curious what the Rockford bid looked like.

Stadium.jpg

1 minute ago, arcturus said:

How do you put anything on a river where water levels can vary 15 - 20 feet, allow 'interaction', and still have those structures insurable?

Floating Docks? Houseboats converted to retail? Not saying either are feasible structurally or monetarily, just possibilities. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Stadium.jpg

Floating Docks? Houseboats converted to retail? Not saying either are feasible structurally or monetarily, just possibilities. 

The stadium and bridge are cool. The building renderings are a disaster. At least act like you want it, Rockford. I can see why F&C won the proposal stage.

2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Stadium.jpg

Looks like it would be part of the campus of a small college.  Pretty uninspired.

• Like 1

I'm 95% ok with this. The road in the mid-ground could use some more building frontage to the east, a small structure to the north of the pedestrian plaza, and one on the far south end to really bookend the outdoor space so it doesn't feel too isolated from the urban space behind it, especially at night.

jpg.jpg.611f8fe65fe28bcf5748fb00314bbaf6.jpg

I'm glad the buildings are fronting Market, and not set back.

• Like 2

I was hoping for lots of pedestrian walkways with shops, restaurants and bars like these renderings.  Granted these buildings appear to be old and renovated but still, something like this would be awesome.  There NEEDS to be more retail downtown with serious retail players.  Including a hotel and apartments would be awesome. 

newcitymainstnorthwd550.jpg

newcityplzaretail2-550.jpg

newcityplzaretail550.jpg

newcitytowardbroadway550.jpg

16 minutes ago, scottythe1nonly said:

there's nothing about the approved bid that suggests it wouldn't look like a college campus

srsly, we're arguing about a few cartoons that will probably look nothing like the final product

Yeah, but the one cartoon looks much better doodled than the other cartoon. Again, big soccer fan here. But I think the Rockford plan looks pretty poor compared to the other. 

Joe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Rockford plan looks awful, I can definitely see why it was torpedoed. And they presented no funding mechanism for the stadium, for $30+ million? 

I love the F&C proposal though. 

12 hours ago, jthrasher said:

here's a higher quality version of that image.    I love the buildings in this rendering.  What I don't love is the lack of interaction with the river.   Places to stand and watch or fish aren't enough.   I was hoping for more of a promenade with shops. restaurants and cafes along the river front, not a street.

d8561256fa9cef34cd2bb926036aad84_XL.jpg

You pretty much can't do that along the Grand River anymore jthrasher, not with the new flood control requirements.  That's why the city didn't even offer the riverfront as a development possibility in their RFP, only greenspace. The AGP and JW were built before the new flood requirements.  

There's no way to tell from these renderings what the ground floor of these building will look like. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 8:51 AM, jthrasher said:

here's a higher quality version of that image.    I love the buildings in this rendering.  What I don't love is the lack of interaction with the river.   Places to stand and watch or fish aren't enough.   I was hoping for more of a promenade with shops. restaurants and cafes along the river front, not a street.

d8561256fa9cef34cd2bb926036aad84_XL.jpg

What I like is that behind that huge block of a building would be the proposed Studio C tower. Also, please keep that curved building!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:

there's nothing about the approved bid that suggests it wouldn't look like a college campus

srsly, we're arguing about a few cartoons that will probably look nothing like the final product

But at least F&C showed an ability to design something other than a bland cube. Rockford doesn't even seem to be able to doodle anything but bland cubes. I'd rather start out with some inspired designs that aim for something grand and maybe fall a little short than to start out with bland and end with blander.

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 2

The F&C rendering does look pretty cool overall, and we can kind of get a feel for what they propose, at least from the riverside.  It would be nice to see a site plan to get a better understanding of the whole project, including what they propose facing Market, or do the 4 buildings we see center/right abut Market?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the GR Forward plan did call for greater river access, here as well as other locations.  I know Lyon Square was suppose to have direct river access.  

Is the F&C bid final/accepted?  When does that happen?

Just curious what kind of time frame we are talking once the winning bid is signed, sealed and delivered.  

Do you think it would take a year for the city to vacate the land?  Do they know where they will move the facilities to?

25 minutes ago, john_denver said:

Is the F&C bid final/accepted?  When does that happen?

Just curious what kind of time frame we are talking once the winning bid is signed, sealed and delivered.  

Do you think it would take a year for the city to vacate the land?  Do they know where they will move the facilities to?

For the F&C bid to be dropped the city would have to find in the next phase that the proposal is somehow unfeasible.  It now comes down to money and the technical details on moving the city services from that site.  It's not only moving the garage, offices, trucks, etc., but also any infrastructure that's underground.  Notice that F&C is now saying that they need millions of dollars from the City to make their proposal work.

It will be years, probably many years, before the project is completed.  

54 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

So for all the people who were begging for more info on this project, do they feel like they know more now about this project? or less? :)

I don't feel like I know much at all.  I got a few paragraphs of second hand commentary and a couple of make believe drawings.  

I want to see the two final bids in their entirety.  What I'm hearing around town regarding the Rockford bid does not match the comments from the committee that were included in the MiBiz article.    Something sounds very off here.

Maybe it was just me, but there were a couple of comments from F&C in that article that seemed to tiptoe around saying that as an outsider that has worked with larger metros and projects, they felt the city's process displayed a little naiveté about how to handle a project like this.  

Edited by wingbert
  • Like 1