Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
walker

RFP - 201 Market

Recommended Posts

On 11/11/2020 at 11:08 AM, Pattmost20 said:

With the DeVos family getting behind this, it makes me all the more curious what they have planned for Charley's Crab and the parking lot. Hopefully something that will really draw people to the riverfront year round.

All I can tell you is, it's gonna be big. Big.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

All I can tell you is, it's gonna be big. Big.

Because DeVos is involved or because you actually know what they are planning...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Because DeVos is involved or because you actually know what they are planning...

I know some of what is planned. It's not a concrete plan, that I've heard anyways. But what I have heard, is huge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I know some of what is planned. It's not a concrete plan, that I've heard anyways. But what I have heard, is huge.

Then share, d*** tease!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just sharing another article that some of you probably already saw, discussing the same infrastructure work as the MLive article that joeDowntown shared on Friday - 

Quote

 

Partners shoulder cost of removing barrier to 201 Market redevelopment

Ehren Wynder | GRBJ

November 12, 2020

 

spacer.png

Source: GRBJ | Courtesy City of Grand Rapids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn’t really sure where to plant this but the Grand Action 2.0 is presenting the results of the three areas of study (expanded convention center, soccer stadium, and amphitheater) today at the Econ Club. I’m hoping to see some news out of that relatively quickly once they do! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I wasn’t really sure where to plant this but the Grand Action 2.0 is presenting the results of the three areas of study (expanded convention center, soccer stadium, and amphitheater) today at the Econ Club. I’m hoping to see some news out of that relatively quickly once they do! 

I saw surveyors for a few days right outside DeVos Place where the hotel was proposed..... could've been for something else though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grand Action 2.0 chose Convention, Sports and Leisure International for the initial feasibility and demand studies presented yesterday while Populous and Progressive AE will revisit the ideas with more details in January 2021. Overall, there have been no costs or concrete plans, with everything being described as “early stages” or “long-term” goals. Some of these projects would happen in “a decade or more”.

Here is a breakdown of what was discussed:

Market sites
• They want to make the amphitheater to be something that will bring the community together year-round, not a “dead zone” during the winter

• Recommendations of ice skating and sledding at the amphitheater during the winter

• Discussed growth potential on both sides of the river and a possible aquarium project

DeVos Place
• Talks about updating technology there and possibly streaming conventions (due to COVID)
• Plans for new meeting areas in about 5 years, then a new 300-500 room hotel in about 5-10 years

Soccer stadium

 Creation of a United Soccer League team

• 7,000 seat stadium with luxury and box suites

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WMrapids said:

Soccer stadium

 Creation of a United Soccer League team

• 7,000 seat stadium with luxury and box suites

For those that don't follow US soccer, the basic breakdown of leagues is:

Tier 1: MLS

Tier 2: USL Championship

Tier 3: USL League 1

Tier 4: USL League 2

Just prior to Covid, GRFC joined USL League 2, basically the highest amateur league in the country. The 2020 season never happened for obvious reasons, but they plan to play in 2021. It would be interesting to see if GRFC would make the jump up to the 3rd or 2nd tier or if they would try it with a new team.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2020 at 4:26 AM, WMrapids said:

Grand Action 2.0 chose Convention, Sports and Leisure International for the initial feasibility and demand studies presented yesterday while Populous and Progressive AE will revisit the ideas with more details in January 2021. Overall, there have been no costs or concrete plans, with everything being described as “early stages” or “long-term” goals. Some of these projects would happen in “a decade or more”.

Here is a breakdown of what was discussed:

Market sites
• They want to make the amphitheater to be something that will bring the community together year-round, not a “dead zone” during the winter

• Recommendations of ice skating and sledding at the amphitheater during the winter

• Discussed growth potential on both sides of the river and a possible aquarium project

DeVos Place
• Talks about updating technology there and possibly streaming conventions (due to COVID)
• Plans for new meeting areas in about 5 years, then a new 300-500 room hotel in about 5-10 years

Soccer stadium

 Creation of a United Soccer League team

• 7,000 seat stadium with luxury and box suites

 

I'm confused, where will the soccer stadium go? Will it be part of the amphitheater? 

Aquarium? How pedestrian. How about a Science Center??!! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

USL did an article about the potential soccer stadium in Grand Rapids. Not much new information, but interesting to see the league itself reporting on it.

Having Populous on board is a huge deal. Our's will probably be the smallest project they've done, lol. 

https://populous.com/our-projects/stadium-experience/soccer-stadiums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Having Populous on board is a huge deal. Our's will probably be the smallest project they've done, lol. 

https://populous.com/our-projects/stadium-experience/soccer-stadiums

I've been up close to Wembley Stadium, it is mighty impressive. I've seen a match in Children's Mercy Park, for the size it is about the best stadium I've been in. Everything was laid out well and accessible. Seats were great too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see something like a miniature Fulham stadium. It's also on a river. I hope they surprise us a give us something more interesting and "English" than the typical US soccer stadium which seems to be a bermed horeshoe structure. 

Populous has done some amazing stadiums. Wow!

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WMrapids said:

Was thinking the same thing. The stadiums they mentioned hold 20,000 while we are looking at 7,000.

Their fees have to be egregious. Someone said "Let's spare no expense on this design. None of this West Michigan bland-itecture." :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Their fees have to be egregious. Someone said "Let's spare no expense on this design. None of this West Michigan bland-itecture." :) 

Blanditecture?  But WE could build it like a castle!

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.