Orlando Mayoral Race

spenser1058

As mentioned in the College Park posts, Buddy Dyer seems to be leaning toward a gubernatorial run in 2018. If he does, who will jump in as the replacement? Currently, my two favorites would be OCSB Chair Bill Sublette and Orlando City Commissioner Robert Stuart. Although immensely qualified, to support Bill I would expect him to become a Democrat. Nevertheless, his positions have always leaned center-left. Robert's already a Democrat and his positions are roughly the same as Bill's. Any other possibilities anyone sees on the horizon to discuss?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought for sure Patty Sheehan would run.  I had two sets of out-of-state friends who remarked that she was a tremendous presence following the Pulse attack.  She would likely be even more liberal that Stuart.

Off-topic but 2018 could be a big shuffle.  Florida Trend reported Rick Singh may make a move for Jacobs mayoral seat...

Stuart is the heir apparent.   Generally he's the commissioner to be there for every photo op and stand in on the Mayors place.

Singh has also made it clear he is just beginning his climb and I agree I think the county is where he is looking to go.  Does anyone know if he even lives in the City?

Also don't count out Randy Ross and Mike Cantone for a sideshow act.

Robert has the experience, the Orlando history and everything he needs to be mayor but he also can be prickly like Glenda Hood was when he doesn't get his way. I'd rank Bill Sublette just a little higher on the vision thing and he tends to be more laid back (we just need to get him away from the Republicans.) As for Singh, so far he hasn't impressed me much. Randy Ross and Mike Cantone are just embarrassments *sigh*. Patty has been an awesome commissioner but I'm not yet convinced she's ready for the Red Chair.

The strength of Orlando is its strong mayor form of government. More than 25 years after OC switched to a charter form of government which was finally supposed to allow the county to take the lead in the region, Orlando still calls the shots. I just read that a city as large as Charlotte still has a manager/council government, which is apparently causing them some challenges. It seems we're really lucky.

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Meanwhile, in the governor's race, St. Pete Times is suggesting Winter Park businessman Christopher King is going to run:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/another-serious-contender-emerges-for-governor-in-2018/2313103

This is a new name for me - anyone else have any info?

Interesting they have Buckhorn running but no mention of Buddy. I wonder if Buddy prefers the UCF job.

I assume we're just going to swerve this into the Orlando politics thread?

I DESPERATELY want someone that lives in the downtown high rises to challenge for Regina Hill's District 5 seat.  You literally only need ~1200 votes to become a city commissioner.  https://ballotpedia.org/Municipal_elections_in_Orlando,_Florida_(2014)

There's absolutely enough voters, it'd be a matter of turn-out.  But yes, it would be an extremely fine line that would need threaded to avoid a racial overtone.  You need to appeal to two different communities with different concerns.  Realistically, the CBD needs re-mapped, because as it is now, the district 5 commissioner has minimal concerns about our urban neighborhood.

43 minutes ago, jack said:

There are not enough voters in the CBD to make a difference. They would have to get all of the voters in 55 west, Solaire, Skyhouse crescent and Camden. On top of that, if the candidate was white, things could get ugly. 

There's the VUE and 111 as well, but yeah, it still would be a challenge unless Parramore is actively courted. I think Regina is marginally an improvement over Daisy's ethics.

I forgot about the VUE and 111. Still, I stand by my statement. Turnout is dreadfully low for these seats and the racial implications make it a challenge. The CBD and Parramore are so different it would take a skilled politician to bring them together. 

There's over 2500 units in the CBD (I counted ~1800 and that didn't include Crescent, Camden, or Skyhouse), which means probably around 5000 residents.  That's a significant amount of people which will only be increasing with University Club, Creative Village/UCF, Magic Complex.  There's no reason that we should be Washington DC'ed just because of oddly shaped council districts and the fact that there's a ProjectDTO or DDB "representing" us.  Also, no one on the DDB lives downtown.  They closest I can find live in College Park or Ivanhoe.  I'd love to meet a person living in the CBD that is involved in any sort of representation.

I went to one town hall (the only one that I heard about, perhaps there were more but I never was notified) at Mad Cow shortly after Regina won.  It was at 2:30 in the afternoon on a weekday.  All she could talk about was a version of a stump speech about getting more people jobs.  Couldn't answer any questions about downtown concerns.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's looking like the Orange County mayoral race to succeed term-limited Teresa Jacobs may turn into a free for all. Latest rumor on web-based Orlando Rising is that former mayor Rich Crotty is considering another run if it's determined he's allowed another shot. This is very different from the last few cycles where candidates were few and far between.

Archived