Orlando Mayoral Race

spenser1058

Something I've been meaning to mention is that, whether it be the OC mayoral race (almost a year away) or the three Orlando City Council races (absentee ballots have already gone out), we're seeing an amazing level of competition in all of them.

It's easy to gauge the level of the region's political health by the number of competitive races (as opposed to the recent FL House District 44 race which was a joke, mostly because of Democratic errors). Too many legislative races are going uncontested but in local races, voters seem to believe they can make a difference. That's great to see.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2018 election cycle was already shaping up to be a transitional year thanks to the OC races. This just makes it HUGE.

Lots of money will be spent and it has the potential to change the entire direction of the region for good or ill. If what we're seeing in St Pete and south Florida this year is any indication, it's likely to be a good year for the Democrats.

It's also a big year in Tallahassee, so fasten your seat belts. Whether you like politics or not, 2018 is likely to affect all of us.

If you live in Orlando District 1 (south of downtown to Lake Nona), District 3 (Rosemont, College Park, Audubon & Baldwin Park) or District 5 (most of West Orlando), don't forget to vote tomorrow 

I'm proud to support Robert Stuart in District 3  but whoever your candidate is, please vote!

I have groaning on my newsfeeds from people who are personally connected to people who challenged incumbents.  I'm in D4 so I could take this all in from the sidelines.    Lots of the "apathy" word thrown around to try to make sense of it why echo chambers didn't win.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person I personally know that voted today, and I have no connection to any candidate.  Unfortunately, my vote against Commissioner Hill did no good.  To @spenser1058's point, I'm content that the good path the Dyer administration has us on will continue,  but I yearn for a D5 commissioner to simply ACKNOWLEDGE the thousands upon thousands of residents s/he represents east of I4.

But for better or worse, no longer my fight.  In 10 days I'm off to District 4 and can happily vote for Patty until she's ready to retire.

• 1 month later...

Latest fundraising numbers on the OC mayoral race. This is shaping up to be the look liveliest race for mayor we've had and the number of folks planning to run for commissioner seats is also stunning (especially District 3 if Pete Clarke resigns to run for mayor.) Who knew the normally quiet Admin Center on S. Rosalind could get so fascinating?

http://orlando-politics.com/2017/12/14/2018-orange-county-race-for-mayor-update/

From Orlando Politics

• 1 month later...

What's next for current OC Mayor Teresa Jacobs? Nothing... yet.

http://orlando-rising.com/teresa-jacobs-still-undecided-whats-next/

From Orlando Rising

So far, the position, electorally anyway, has been a steppingstone to oblivion. Mel Martinez jumped to DC as HUD secretary and then US Senate through appointments. None of the mayors, however, has been elected again after term-limiting out.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Sublette, by far the most moderate of the GOP candidates for OC mayor, has dropped out of the race.

While I have an immense amount of respect for Bill and think he could have been a good mayor, this should help Jerry Demings solidify the support of everyone who's not a far-right Republican. 

In our increasingly blue county, that bodes well for the Democrats. Of course, as always, we have to show up at the polls.

http://orlando-rising.com/bill-sublette-suspends-campaign-orange-county-mayors-office/

From Orlando Rising

If fundraising is any guide, it looks like we're going to end up with a two man race for OC mayor.

Democrat Jerry Demings is in the lead, with Republican Rob Panepinto coming in second. Bill Sublette has dropped out and Pete Clarke seems to be trailing in the money race.

The only disappointment will be if Clarke also drops out and keeps his Commission seat - many of us were looking at Eric Rolling as an awesome replacement.

http://orlando-rising.com/jerry-demings-rob-panepinto-report-january-campaign-money-orange-county-mayoral-race/

From Orlando Rising 

YUGE win by Democrat Margaret Good in a local race in Sarasota in a Republican-leaning district. This is the third Florida special election where Dems have pulled that off. Many thanks to President The Donald for making it all possible and see you in November!

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2018/02/13/in-third-bellwether-contest-florida-democrats-again-carry-the-day-and-hope-for-a-blue-wave-251975

From Politico

For Florida politics, the Tampa Bay Times politics section is probably the best.

I pick up local stuff from orlandorising.com and Floridapolitics.com, but they have a rightward tilt and you have to watch out for that.

Sadly, the left-leaning blogs tend to be so far left they've gone round the bend (I.e., they hate Buddy - he does things I disagree with, but he's the most successful Democrat we've had in ages, so work with him. Same for Bill Nelson - you can't change anything if you don't win.)

I also follow the Facebook pages for Carlos Guillermo Smith and Linda Stewart. Both are unabashed progressives who know how to work both sides of the aisle to get things done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Buddy endorses Jerry Demings for OC mayor, as does former county chair Linda Chaplin. Most interestingly, former Orlando mayor and Secretary of State for Jeb (!), Glenda Hood, also came out for Jerry.

That's notable on two fronts; first, Glenda is a Republican. Secondly, she's been MIA ever since returning from Tally; it's good to see her dipping a toe back in the fray.

I think this is the first time since Linda that the Democrat has been the favorite in the OC mayoral race. I'm looking forward to this one.

Another interesting endorsement for Jerry: the I-Drive Chamber of Commerce. It has traditionally been more pro-Republican in OC races.

I'm not excited by either of the remaining Republicans in the race, so what looks to be an emerging Blue Wave on S. Rosalind looks like a good thing.

https://www.jerrydemingsformayor.net/single-post/2018/03/29/International-Drive-Resort-Area-Chamber-of-Commerce-Endorsement

• 2 weeks later...

In a sign of how much the political winds are shifting, US House Speaker Paul Ryan will announce today that he will not seek reelection in his Wisconsin district this fall.

For us, it indicates a good possibility this will be a "wave" election and that there may be a changing of the guard in Tallahassee for the first time in 20 years.

That bodes well for increased funding for things like transit and education, including support for Valencia and UCF projects.

Of course, candidates matter and turnout in a state like Florida is key, but a change in parties statewide bodes well for the state's urban areas.

Speaker Paul Ryan Will Not Seek Re-Election in November  
https://nyti.ms/2HqMm4e

From the New York Times

Archived