New Orlando Flag

popsiclebrandon

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Strange they want it to be all hand drawn, not sure if they want this designed by kids or what.

It looks like they have a design ideology that emphasizes simplicity (I don't disagree) and hand drawn will help enforce that. Also, engaging kids in the process can be a great way to build civic pride and engage them young. 

So Is anybody actually doing this?  I thought I would try it, although I imagine they will just pick some crappy 6 year old drawing of the lake Eola fountain.

I like the icon with the Fountain and Clipped O, as others have said earler in thread, but taking into account simplicity of design and whatnot, here was my idea:

Orlando Flag-01.png

The Blue O of Orlando representing our beautiful city and the great lakes of our area, as well as the iconic lake Eola of downtown.(This is the same color of the field of the last flag), with the red bars of the Florida flag, (adjusted slightly to avert any negative connotations of past flags). . . The Multi-colors filtering through the lens of the O representing our diversity with the Purple, a fairly distinct color of our city that we have collectively embraced through our nascent soccer identity and the turquoise (same color of the field of the last flag) reflecting our heritage and pristine springs and of course, the iconic lake Eola fountain, which is represented symbolically, as opposed to pictorially. 

The O at the beginning and ending of the name of this city is quite distinct, for a city known throughout the world. Combined with the symbology of the state flag, this enough to distinguish it as a combination against any other universal identities that exist. Florida shines through Orlando, and the city flourishes through visitors who abound from around the globe and are aware of our distinct Amercian culture. 

If that isn't enough bullcrap to explain my design, let me know and I will come up with some more. 

I think I may be able to hand draw this enough with a straight edge, compass, and crayons to be respectable.

Shouldn't the flag include some sort of symbol of Orlando, such as the Lake Eola Fountain or Swan?

On another note, every portion of a flag should be there for a reason.  Every color should have a meaning behind it. The position of everything should have a purpose.

In the above flag, is there a reason to include the Florida flag within the Orlando flag?  What purpose does it serve or what precedent marks its inclusion?  The City flag should only mimic portions of another flag if there is a meaningful connection between the two entities.  I'd argue that simply being within Florida is not a meaningful connection.  On the other hand, the blue O that represents Orlando and the reasoning behind it is awesome, and the red turning into multiple colors through the city really does show how the city has changed between its segregated past and its diverse present and future.  I think the light blue could be changed to a different color to symbolize something else as the blue O already fills in any meaning behind the color blue for the city. @dcluley98

Just my 2 cents

On 2/18/2017 at 4:20 PM, WAJAS98 said:

Shouldn't the flag include some sort of symbol of Orlando, such as the Lake Eola Fountain or Swan?

On another note, every portion of a flag should be there for a reason.  Every color should have a meaning behind it. The position of everything should have a purpose.

In the above flag, is there a reason to include the Florida flag within the Orlando flag?  What purpose does it serve or what precedent marks its inclusion?  The City flag should only mimic portions of another flag if there is a meaningful connection between the two entities.  I'd argue that simply being within Florida is not a meaningful connection.  On the other hand, the blue O that represents Orlando and the reasoning behind it is awesome, and the red turning into multiple colors through the city really does show how the city has changed between its segregated past and its diverse present and future.  I think the light blue could be changed to a different color to symbolize something else as the blue O already fills in any meaning behind the color blue for the city. @dcluley98

Just my 2 cents

Everything is on there for a reason, and is placed on the flag the way it is based upon mathematics and principles of design.  I decided to not use an overt symbol such as the ubiquitous fountain or a swan, because I know that everybody is going to do that, and it won't be very original (and probably not an improvement over the stylized fountain in a half-O that the city already uses on their website).  The colors themselves coming out of the O are actually evocative of many different things, including diversity, a representation of lake Eola in the colors similar to the fountain shooting up out of the lake or the rainbow on the amphitheatre showing tolerance, and could also be seen as sunbeams, etc.  The abstract nature opens it up to a lot of interpretation.  I think that the reference to Florida is warranted, but maybe the red cross is a little bold.  I wanted it to show the Orlando - Florida connection in that we are bringing out the best in Florida.  With the O - Florida prominent subliminal imagery.  There are only 31 cities that start with an O in Florida, Orlando is the largest and most memorable (Ocala is next), and has often been associated with just the letter O. (O-town, OC).

At any rate, that was just one idea for a completely abstracted design based only upon shape and color.  Everyone feel free to come up with your own designs and submit them.  I want a cool flag, not some 6-year old's drawing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived