New Orlando Flag

popsiclebrandon

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I personally like the navy one with the orange "O", four columns and 3 stars or the "O" with the 6 stars and white stripes on the navy background. IDK, I think its clean and classic and grown up big city looking...

thoughts?

I like the one with six stars.

I like the one with six stars.

The six stars represent the City's six commission districts. You can click on each design and see an explanation of the symbols used.

Honestly, after watching the TED talk and reading each explanation it completely changed my perception of most of the designs for the better.

I voted earlier for the one that is half white on top and half blue on the bottom with the fountain. However, I am becoming partial to the 6 stars design now, so I might vote for that one from here on out (you can vote once per day). I also found out recently that it was submitted by an Iron Lion Firm member.

I thought the entries were supposed to be hand drawn and strictly no digital art.

None of them look hand drawn to me and they all look digitally produced.

Anyway, I voted for the white fountain inside the white top half "O" on the blue background.

I thought the entries were supposed to be hand drawn and strictly no digital art.
None of them look hand drawn to me and they all look digitally produced.
Anyway, I voted for the white fountain inside the white top half "O" on the blue background.

My understanding is all entries were to be submitted as hand-drawn sketches, and then the finalists were converted into digital designs by the City. This was, assumedly, to level the playing field between professional designers and John Q./Jane Q. Public.

And if that wasn't the process, I just came up with a great idea for the next city that wants to redesign their flag. [emoji39]

19 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

My understanding is all entries were to be submitted as hand-drawn sketches, and then the finalists were converted into digital designs by the City. This was, assumedly, to level the playing field between professional designers and John Q./Jane Q. Public.

And if that wasn't the process, I just came up with a great idea for the next city that wants to redesign their flag. emoji39.png

I actually never submitted my design because of the entry process that said it had to be hand drawn on a 3x5 card.  As somebody who has some experience in design, that is dumb.  Vector art for a flag design is the way to go for simple symbology and color representation.  Plus I was way too busy with work to go find valid materials to hand draw crap and bring it to city hall. If they had specified "simple enough to draw by hand" instead, that would have made much more sense.  I am kind of pissed now that I see all of the entries here were digital files and some of them just suck. I was underwhelmed by several of the designs in the top 10.  I think only about 4 of them are worthy of a flag of this nature.  And two people turning in a design that has a logo on it designed by somebody else and making the top 10 is just bullcrap IMO.  Get the hell out of here with that. If you are going to use that lake Eola symbol, just credit the original designer, don't pretend some idiot that changed the colors deserves to be the "winner" of this contest. Not that the one I posted here was all that great, but I never tried to refine it because of how the contest came about. It certainly was as good as a lot of the "top 10" but then, design is a subjective matter as well as technical matter.

10 minutes ago, orange87 said:

The new Orlando flags are atrocious.

I think a flag of a major city needs to look stately, like this...

Image result for city of hartford flag

Not look like it was drawn by a kindergartener, like this...

FinalFlagsC677.jpg

I agree. I think they were going for more of a corporate or product logo type design than a real flag design.

Branding or something.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I agree. I think they were going for more of a corporate or product logo type design than a real flag design.

Branding or something.

Nah - have you seen Chicago's flag? It's 2 lines and some stars...it's probably one of the most well known city flags there is. 

21 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Flags with seals on them are not great design 

That's a matter of opinion. I'd rather have a stately looking flag than something that looks like a crayon drawing some parent would have on their refrigerator.

22 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

hard to reproduce

So?

23 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

and expensive.

I'm not sure what you mean by a flag being "expensive," but I'd rather have an "expensive" (whatever that means) flag that looks good, then a cheap joke of a flag.

26 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

A flag should be simple

Says who?

Says who? you say

Just look at every single country flag in the world.  Those are the flags that carry the most on their shoulders, and they have a simple design.  If you want people to actually utilize and recognize the flag and its colors and designs, then you need it to be simple yet unique. 

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

That's a matter of opinion. I'd rather have a stately looking flag than something that looks like a crayon drawing some parent would have on their refrigerator.

So?

I'm not sure what you mean by a flag being "expensive," but I'd rather have an "expensive" (whatever that means) flag that looks good, then a cheap joke of a flag.

Says who?

Says the North American Vexillological Association, you know, the experts on Flag design. Go back and read their guideline criteria on flag design from the contest:
http://www.ausflag.com.au/assets/images/Good-Flag-Bad-Flag.pdf
http://nava.org/navanews/Commission-Report-Final-US.pdf

But hey, what do they or I know.  Some guy on the internet is always right.

A few months ago, I was looking where I could get a city flag for my house.  I'm holding off until this gets done.  That said that's why I like the two with the fountain logo.  That fountain logo is easily recognizable as Orlando and probably the closest thing to a seal we have aside from that beach seal that was retired.  (Remember Florida's flag has a seal too).  Its still simple enough that you can draw it, but not so simple that it looks like a 5 year old did it.

13 hours ago, castorvx said:

Just take a grid of flags with seals on them and look at them at a distance. They all look identical.

So what?

14 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I was perfectly happy with this flag:

Orlando_Florida_City_Store.jpg

Or at least the overall design.

Maybe tweak the artwork a little.

Yeah, but some people like change just for the sake of change.

16 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Says the North American Vexillological Association, you know, the experts on Flag design. Go back and read their guideline criteria on flag design from the contest:
http://www.ausflag.com.au/assets/images/Good-Flag-Bad-Flag.pdf
http://nava.org/navanews/Commission-Report-Final-US.pdf

But hey, what do they or I know.  Some guy on the internet is always right.

What makes a good flag is an OPINION! Just because you have low self esteem and need other people to tell you what to think doesn't mean everyone has that problem.

Alright, so here's my OPINION: Beyond being a complete violation of good flag design (as defined by a body of experts on the subject), I find the current flag embarrassing to look at and just plain weird. It makes no sense, neither symbolically nor graphically. 

orlandoflag.thumb.jpg.e2c2eafdeb25eaa28457f16b88e6225d.jpg

43 minutes ago, alex said:

It's crazy they were able to predict the Vue, Modera, and Citi Tower on that flag all those years ago... 

The two buildings in the foreground are Capital Plaza 1 (formerly Southeast Bank bldg) on Central and the other one is Eola Park Centre. Forget what it was called back then.

26 minutes ago, alex said:

Alright, so here's my OPINION: Beyond being a complete violation of good flag design (as defined by a body of experts on the subject), I find the current flag embarrassing to look at and just plain weird. It makes no sense, neither symbolically nor graphically. 

orlandoflag.thumb.jpg.e2c2eafdeb25eaa28457f16b88e6225d.jpg

I like the old design but certainly the artwork, as I said earlier, could stand some major tweaking.

Archived