New Orlando Flag

popsiclebrandon

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a Z88.3 promise sticker.

I call them promise stickers because it's basically a promise that you are going to hate the way they drive.  Either 15mph under or 15mph over the current flow of traffic guaranteed!  Either way, it's just going to mess up your drive.

55 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

How about a Z88.3 promise sticker.

I call them promise stickers because it's basically a promise that you are going to hate the way they drive.  Either 15mph under or 15mph over the current flow of traffic guaranteed!  Either way, it's just going to mess up your drive.

According to the flag guide, words are a faux pas, but I'd love to incorporate "Save for the little ears" somehow. 

The redesigned top four designs are up. You can find the locations and times that the prototypes will be presented at this link: http://bungalower.com/2017/05/01/additional-public-input-needed-modified-flag-designs/

I personally can see any of these as a viable flag now (other than the top left one).  The top left one just looks weird because everything is too skinny.  The top right one is much better now that it isn't in a white abyss. The bottom right, while not a whale or masculine object anymore, looks a little odd on the bottom bit.  The bottom left one looks fine but just fine. There is nothing spectacular about it.

These are the new designs:

flags.jpg?w=916

Top left: The center circle figure is smaller. The stars are smaller. The top line within the circle is now squiggly like the others. The lines, in general, are thinner.

Top right: The figure itself is smaller, but not much else has changed for the figure.  Two blue bars were added to the sides.

Bottom left: Instead of two squiggly blue lines on the bottom there is now three straight lines.  The white space between the top blue line and bottom yellow ray is gone. Fixed proportions problem between white spaces and the lines.

Bottom right: HA HA!!!! They ruined this design IMO!! The center fountain was redone completely along with the water spout. The whole bottom half is now mostly a light blue instead of the whole thing being dark blue in the background.  The 'reflection' is less stylized and more blocky.  The 'reflection' is also now dark blue instead of white.

1 hour ago, WAJAS98 said:

The redesigned top four designs are up. You can find the locations and times that the prototypes will be presented at this link: http://bungalower.com/2017/05/01/additional-public-input-needed-modified-flag-designs/

I personally can see any of these as a viable flag now (other than the top left one).  The top left one just looks weird because everything is too skinny.  The top right one is much better now that it isn't in a white abyss. The bottom right, while not a whale or masculine object anymore, looks a little odd on the bottom bit.  The bottom left one looks fine but just fine. There is nothing spectacular about it.

These are the new designs:

flags.jpg?w=916

Only thing I'd change is making the navy blue bars a little wider for the one on the top right like the red bars on the Canadian flag. Currently, the one on the top right looks like if you're viewing a standard size picture on a wide screen.

I'm liking the redesigned previous winner a bit more now, if for nothing other than the fact that the Eola Fountain is the focal point. It's the most symbolic icon of downtown and now that it actually looks like a fountain, I can vote for it.

I wouldn't be too upset with any of these actually. The upper left looks almost identical to the original. I was hoping for thicker lines. On the upper right, I agree with orange87 that the side bars should be wider to be symmetrical. I actually hated the original version of the lower left, but now I think it looks pretty good. Finally, I like new version of the fountain one...the original one's whale tale was really bad. I think it will win again.

It's weird to me how water-focused these flags are. Of all major cities in Florida, we probably have the least to do with water, i.e. we're not on an ocean. The swan comes closest to being uniquely "Orlandoan." I'm having a real Lil' Sebastian moment with everyone's obsession with the fountain--especially the way it's drawn on that flag. 

Something like oaks, cypress, magnolias, oranges, swans, alligators, or science/research would have been better differentiators. Oh wait, there I go again, describing the sharks with lasers flag.

1 hour ago, alex said:

It's weird to me how water-focused these flags are. Of all major cities in Florida, we probably have the least to do with water, i.e. we're not on an ocean. The swan comes closest to being uniquely "Orlandoan." I'm having a real Lil' Sebastian moment with everyone's obsession with the fountain--especially the way it's drawn on that flag. 

Something like oaks, cypress, magnolias, oranges, swans, alligators, or science/research would have been better differentiators. Oh wait, there I go again, describing the sharks with lasers flag.

Although the fountain flag is not my favorite, I have to disagree about Orlando having a lack of water. Beach towns are a dime a dozen, but our lakes built into the urban fabric are part of what makes us special. Iconic urban author William Whyte noted it when he made his survey of the area in the 1980's. Walt Disney World was designed specifically around the fact they had so much more water to work with than at Disneyland. Our lakes make us every bit as unique as the ocean does for Miami Beach or the river does for Jacksonville. Visitors arriving into downtown via Orange Avenue, the East/West and especially I4 often comment about the causeways crossing Lakes Lucerne, Underhill and Ivanhoe. Arrivals to Orlando via OIA note the various lakes on and around the airport.

I'd also add that the Orange County flag (which I like better than any of the entries for the Orlando flag) incorporates several of the natural elements you mention.

OK, you sold me on the lakes. (Back to the manatee flag!) 

But as a non-native Orlandoan, this is what I think of when I see a drawing of our fountain:

800px-Buckinghamfountain3g05158u.jpg

Maybe I grew up watching too much Married with Children. 

I agree that the fountain flag doesn't really do justice to the Centennial Fountain, which is why I am still partial to the swan flag. Interestingly, the City seal has no fountain at all (it was adopted before the fountain existed) but it still is easy to tell it's Lake Eola.

I'm very partial to the swan flag right now.  The Swan is the second most recognizable symbol of Orlando, and I think something can be said of comparisons between the two. Both Swans and Orland are beautiful (or like to think they are) on the outside yet very strong in will and brute on the outside.  Both have the perception of ugliness and lack of self-worth/knowledge in their youth but grow into beautiful and determined things.

It's a little corny, but I believe most of it if not all is more or less true.

DIABEETUS!  

Check your Orlando Sugar and check it often!

Funny as Heck!  

And I still vote top left, although the swan looks better without just a plain white field. Make it thirds like somebody already said and I would like it even more. Bottom two still suck or are even worse now that they have been "refined" this time. 

Quite frankly, I like my original mock-up better than all of these. I wish I had not been so busy and turned it in. Probably just because I made it, but I think it was loads better than half of those that made the top 10. 

The Blue O of Orlando represents the unique name of our beautiful city and the ubiquitous lakes of our area, including our distinguished downtown Lake Eola  This is combined with the red bars of the Florida flag solidifying our destination and history. The multi-colors springing forth through the heart of the O represent our diverse and multi-faceted appeal, while symbolically evoking the iconic Lake Eola fountain, a defining image of our city.

Orlando Flag-01.png

For Reference:

Fountain.jpg

nunst012.gif

Previous Flag for Color Palette:

Old Orlando Flag.jpg

I do not like any of these because they are too busy. Swan and fountain? Nothing unique about them.

I would pick the first one if I have to but I would remove the stars and make the line thicker. Orlando is a modern city, the flag should reflect that.

Although I've always opposed it before, I've decided it's time we consolidated Orlando/Orange County so we can just keep the OC flag for all of us. Of course, Winter Park will then decide they need a flag with a peacock and everyone will think they've been acquired by Comcast. *sigh*

Archived