New Orlando Flag

popsiclebrandon

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

What makes a good flag is an OPINION! Just because you have low self esteem and need other people to tell you what to think doesn't mean everyone has that problem.

Hey, that's fine if that's your opinion.  You can like what you like.  Just don't be upset when your opinion goes against the experts who study flag design, general design principles, and the majority consensus, that the one you like isn't picked. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I was perfectly happy with this flag:

Orlando_Florida_City_Store.jpg

Or at least the overall design.

Maybe tweak the artwork a little.

I honestly can't stand this flag. It is dated. 

Flags are typically seen from the ground and far away. The symbology should be clear and simple. The Colors should be bold.  

6 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

I honestly can't stand this flag. It is dated. 

Flags are typically seen from the ground and far away. The symbology should be clear and simple. The Colors should be bold.  

But in it's datedness, it looks kinda quaint.

There's something to be said for quaint, I think.

But then I'm kinda old and I guess Orlando is outgrowing it's former quaintness.

How about this one I just drew in Illustrator after work. . . Simple, symbolic, almost heraldic style, that tells the story of our city with 2 colors, 2 symbols, and of course, the O. I think that is pretty distinct, easily identified, and designed for use as a flag. 

Designed to reflect the natural beauty of our "City Beautiful" - The green field and acorn represent the verdant parks and tree-lined streets.  The blue field and swan represent our pristine lakes and the landmark downtown lake Eola. 

Orlando Flag Acorn Swan-01.png

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, HankStrong said:

I've heard this is no longer funny, but I'm sure I could hand draw this:

oFLAG.jpg

This seems more realistic with this announcement:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/04/06/7-eleven-adding-more-than-1-100-stores-in-3-3.html

"Seven & I Holdings, a Japanese company that owns Irving-based 7-Eleven Inc., said its north Texas subsidiary will buy 1,108 Sunoco LP stores in 18 states, including Florida"

55 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

"Seven & I Holdings, a Japanese company that owns Irving-based 7-Eleven Inc., said its north Texas subsidiary will buy 1,108 Sunoco LP stores in 18 states, including Florida"

I was expecting "7-Eleven Opening 1,108 Stores in Downtown Orlando." 

18 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Hey guys,

I also drew another one that is just plain and stately like you all wanted.

It is just a plain blue background with a Seal in the middle. 

The swan one is my current favorite, and I kind of like this one, too...  

My favorite design is the one with the sun rays and waves (see image). It's unique and exciting and yet remains simple and easily recognizable. The colors are bright and cheerful, whereas some of the other designs are dark and brooding. Also, if you read the designer's meaning behind the symbolism, which in my opinion is just as important as the design itself, you will find it comprises most of the important things Orlando is known for. There are other good designs as well, but this one is at the top of my list.

FinalFlagsR8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I might have liked that one if the water coming from the fountain didn't look so much like a palm tree.

I agree. The water coming out of the fountain looks weird. Looks like a whale tail to me. I wouldn't mind that flag too much if they fix how the water coming out of the fountain looks.

3 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I agree. The water coming out of the fountain looks weird. Looks like a whale tail to me. I wouldn't mind that flag too much if they fix how the water coming out of the fountain looks.

Aha! So I wasn't the only one who saw it as a whale tail. Almost like a subtle reference to Sea World.

I saw whale tail also. It is poorly drawn in general. The Bézier curves are horrendous.  The Swan was well executed and the third choice was probably my favorite of the ten. I didn't like this one so much. From a symbol point of view, yeah, whatever, fountain, same as other logos, from an execution point of view. . . not so much. 

10 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I saw whale tail also. It is poorly drawn in general. The Bézier curves are horrendous.  The Swan was well executed and the third choice was probably my favorite of the ten. I didn't like this one so much. From a symbol point of view, yeah, whatever, fountain, same as other logos, from an execution point of view. . . not so much. 

I think that the worst thing about it is that it's too thick. The main vertical water column looks to have the width, or diameter if you'd rather, of a fire hydrant going full blast. And of course, the absurd looking "whale tail" just adds to the fail. Every other graphic depiction of the Eola fountain I've ever seen, is done with thin, graceful, delicate looking lines. 

It may be a decent concept, but it is very poorly executed.  I actually felt the opposite about the swan - I loved the execution, but didn't love the idea of the swan.  I obviously understand the reference, but the swan as the ultimate symbol of our city seems like a stretch to me.  

This actually makes me curious to the details of exactly how this process worked.  Submissions were accepted on 3x5 cards, handdrawn only, correct? Who then turned those submissions into the graphics that were voted upon?  If I am understanding the process correctly, how was the execution across the designs so inconsistent?  I'm probably misunderstanding the submission process...

Archived