2 Sporting Goods Bankruptcies

arcturus

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MC was the "Sears" of the sporting goods stores.  Never updated interior, stock was always low. Lower quality items, but not super low prices. They didn't keep up with the times and Dicks and other competitors beat them to it.

Gander is the same deal, Cabelas has a better model, better products, their own brand. Gander did not set them selves apart and created a contained, non growing chain that needed a refresh.  When you carry primarily coleman camping gear, you are as good as a meijer, not a sporting goods store.

Not a sporting goods store and not bankruptcy, but Moosejaw sold its soul to the devil known as Wal-Mart this week. I'm very disappointed, as I was a fan of their products, prices, and supporting a Michigan-owned company. I will now pay more to go to local shops for outdoors apparel. 

17 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Not a sporting goods store and not bankruptcy, but Moosejaw sold its soul to the devil known as Wal-Mart this week. I'm very disappointed, as I was a fan of their products, prices, and supporting a Michigan-owned company. I will now pay more to go to local shops for outdoors apparel. 

Go to switchback on plainfield, great prices, great service and used equipment too.

http://goswitchback.com

2 hours ago, GRLaker said:

While a little disappointed, I dont think those people deserve the vitriol they are getting on Facebook. 51 million is not something a sane person would turn down. MC Sporting Goods certainly didnt see such loyal local passion or else they would still be in business.

I dont even think the people screaming at them shopped there remotely enough to have made up for what they were offered. Like where do they get the idea they can just boss Moosejaw around like that?

7 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

While a little disappointed, I dont think those people deserve the vitriol they are getting on Facebook. 51 million is not something a sane person would turn down. MC Sporting Goods certainly didnt see such loyal local passion or else they would still be in business.

I dont even think the people screaming at them shopped there remotely enough to have made up for what they were offered. Like where do they get the idea they can just boss Moosejaw around like that?

I agree but I think it comes from people's perception that they weren't in it for the money but for altruistic service reasons.  They feel as if their local organic kale grower just sold out to Cargill.

33 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I agree with @GR_Urbanist.  They're still a MI based company, as far as I can tell.  It's still a standalone brand, and will still be run out of Madison Heights.  That's 350+ jobs that are staying in Michigan for now, and probably more secure than they were last week.  Let's cool our heads a little and see how this plays out.

For example: Take El Matador chips.  Years ago they were bought by Garden Fresh Salsa in Detroit, which is owned by Bolthouse Farms in California, which is owned by Campbell Soup, based in Camden, NJ.  Is El Matador no longer a "Michigan company"?  On the contrary, they're still made in Grand Rapids, and to me it's still a uniquely Grand Rapids brand.

A successful enterprise is never going to stand still.  There's going to be expansions, mergers, and sellouts.  The alternative is staying in the same place and withering away like MC Sporting Goods.  It's the same reason I support ArtPrize expanding to other cities, if it ever happens successfully.

1 hour ago, temporary.name said:

If you think Walmart is going to keep all those jobs (why would they keep HR / payroll overlap? Walmart already has a literal building full of people doing that), let alone keep them at the same pay rate for longer than two years, I got some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.

Also, as a Walmart shareholder (you probably are too, check your 401k), I say they damn well better get rid of business overlap. Love that attitude or hate it but its how the free market works. 

The only reason some of those 350+ jobs may stay in MI is because they're cheaper to keep there until Walmart figures out how to consolidate them into existing Walmart operations. 

Do you think Jet.com will leave Hoboken entirely?  I'm honestly asking, you're more in the tech sector than me.

6 hours ago, wingbert said:

I agree but I think it comes from people's perception that they weren't in it for the money but for altruistic service reasons.  They feel as if their local organic kale grower just sold out to Cargill.

This is what's wrong with this country. :lol:

Archived