Lake Drive Changes.

EastownLeo

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

Eastown Veterinary Clinic will be adding a two story addition.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/87276-veterinary-clinic-eyes-expansion

Good!

I remember this was the site of an apartment project that fell through. It was always disappointing to drive by and see the space being so under-developed.

And these guys deserve it! They are one of the best vets in town.

4 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Window installs are currently happening in the Kingsley building, they have also started drilling the footings for the parking garage.

Matchbox Diner & Drinks has replaced Brandywine and from what I have seen, it look great inside and the food looks good.

The food was pretty solid when I was there for dinner the other night.

Speaking of Lake Drive, it looks like a bunch of utility work is being done (or they're just tearing up sidewalks) near Lake and Carlton/Benjamin, and they're replacing it with a thin layer of crappy looking asphalt. Is this the final product? Anyone know? It looks like shit if it is. 

I've seen a lot of sidewalks poured in my lifetime and never seen asphalt put down first. 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Speaking of Lake Drive, it looks like a bunch of utility work is being done (or they're just tearing up sidewalks) near Lake and Carlton/Benjamin, and they're replacing it with a thin layer of crappy looking asphalt. Is this the final product? Anyone know? It looks like crap if it is. 

I've seen a lot of sidewalks poured in my lifetime and never seen asphalt put down first. 

Most likely the gas company doing some renewal work before a road project. They can't really pour concrete this time of year so they put in temporary with asphalt, It will be removed and concrete laid this summer. That was done on a couple stretches of  Leonard Street in the past. Might be telephone also. If the contractor is Miller, it's for the gas company.

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

Most likely the gas company doing some renewal work before a road project. They can't really pour concrete this time of year so they put in temporary with asphalt, It will be removed and concrete laid this summer. That was done on a couple stretches of  Leonard Street in the past. Might be telephone also. If the contractor is Miller, it's for the gas company.

Ah, make sense. 

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

Heard, possibly, Uptown Church in Eastown is no longer holding services.  What could the old Eastown Theater become?

Is the rumor true, anyone have info?

Let's pray (pun intended) this is the case.   First things first, work on plan to restore original facade. I don't know, live music, live theater, movie theater....Church for all I care, but fix facade!

large.jpg

large (1).jpg

Frankly just demolish it and put something useful there that brings activity to the street. Right now the building in its current form is just a huge dead space.

It isnt going to be a really good theater by today's standards anyway, and restoring how it looked 50 years ago for nostalgia is going to cost a fortune and will never be made back from any ticket sales.

38 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Frankly just demolish it and put something useful there that brings activity to the street. Right now the building in its current form is just a huge dead space.

It isnt going to be a really good theater by today's standards anyway, and restoring how it looked 50 years ago for nostalgia is going to cost a fortune and will never be made back from any ticket sales.

i hate to say it, but you may be right.  With that said, it will probably sit the way it is now for another 10 to 15 years.

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I was sadly thinking the same thing until EastownLeo posted this:

3 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Brewery (wink)

You can never have enough breweries (at least not yet.)

Maybe just restore a few art deco features and the marquee.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think this place could be really cool if done right. A partial restoration/Art Deco styled update could be really cool and I think would make it seem less hulking. It just needs some new render to cover up the dark bricks. Add a fresh bright white paint job with brightly colored highlights and perhaps some new decorative features and it could be a eye magnate instead of an eye-sore. 

• 3 months later...

The Sheldon Cleaners on the corner of Lake Drive and Robinson rd. is currently under full renovation.   There is a "For Lease" sign on the building, and the renderings on the building show Sheldon in one section and May open the other portion to a new retail spot.  Not sure how I feel about sheldon staying,  I would love this to be green space with cafe seating.

• 2 months later...

Saw a Gazelle Sports van Parked at the renovated Sheldon cleaners on Lake Dr and unloading..  Could be possibly moving into the Re-Blue space between E.A. Brady's and Terra.  Would be an interesting move seeing that Striders left and this could fill that void. Seems like it would be a smaller format shop for them.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Wax Poetic Candle bar is now located in the old Re-Blue space, between Terra and E. A. Brady's

Wife of the Owner of Gazelle sports is the one running it.

The new retail space next to the Sheldon Cleaners, in front of the Kingsley building, is going to be a Juice Bar.

Well I guess Sip did just close down there Eastown location, always room for a juice bar.

Archived