Anderson St. School redevelopment

vicupstate

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the zoning in that block, it would be the only non-residential zoning in the block.  That was an issue with the staff/commission as that is discouraged generally and in this particular area specifically. When the area was being 'reclaimed' by the city a decade plus ago, the new residents were told the existing offices (which are grandfathered in) would be replaced over time with residences.

A developer that is active in the area, well as some residents wanted the school to be residential only and believe it would go that route, if the School Board adjusted its price to make doing so viable.  

I think everyone was fine with renovating the building, and MOST were okay with it being offices as long as the building remained as is. BUT the rub was that two adjacent lots (facing Arlington) were also included, one of which has a office on it (that is grandfathered).

Had the rezoning gone through, there would be nothing to stop demolishing the school for a new office building (possibly incorporating the other two lots as well)  either now or in the future.

Both of those buildings are an eyesore and I would welcome them being knocked down. Oh well, I'm sure something will go there eventually. I was thinking something like a business incubator would pull in young professionals and they would want to live in the area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, NBNY2GRNVL said:

Both of those buildings are an eyesore and I would welcome them being knocked down. Oh well, I'm sure something will go there eventually. I was thinking something like a business incubator would pull in young professionals and they would want to live in the area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

There is nothing wrong with the school that can't be fixed with paint and such. it adds character to the area, IMO.I It is very representative of school architecture in that time period too. I would truly hate to see it torn down, and the neighbors mostly agree.  Hopefully something can be worked out to renovate it within the zoning code without resulting in negative results next door. 

2 hours ago, transplant08 said:

slightly unrelated. How did the zoning change request for the lots on Textile go?

The  rezoning was approved but the decision to subdivide the lot was postponed at the applicant's request.   

• 1 month later...

Archived