Publix

An analyst who predicted an Amazon /Target merger would happen this year is still bullish on the idea but is now giving it until 2021 to happen:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/amp/news/amazon-target-deal-could-still-happen-analyst-explains-why-2018-12-1027792438

From Business Insider 

Isn’t it odd that Walmart’s color is blue and Target’s is red when their politics are just the opposite?

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

An analyst who predicted an Amazon /Target merger would happen this year is still bullish on the idea but is now giving it until 2021 to happen:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/amp/news/amazon-target-deal-could-still-happen-analyst-explains-why-2018-12-1027792438

From Business Insider 

Isn’t it odd that Walmart’s color is blue and Target’s is red when their politics are just the opposite?

Walmart is trying to convince you its nice, quant, and peaceful when its the opposite, and Target is trying to convince you its prices are good, when they aren't (compared to Walmart at least)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Gizmodo is reporting based on a WSJ story that Whole Foods is in expansion mode. The new stores are apparently larger than the most recent model.

Oddly, it suggests Whole Foods is discovering the ‘burbs. Given our stores in WP and DP are pretty much suburban (in that you pretty much have to drive to either one), your guess is as good as mine about the story’s accuracy.

I do wonder with all the hipster food emporiums popping up in the Main St districts, if WF will ever join the fray closer to downtown.

More likely, perhaps, are stores near UCF or WG/Clermont.

Stay tuned...

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-is-reportedly-planning-to-expand-whole-foods-bec-1831390295/amp

Edited by spenser1058

Why wait for Amazon GO? Kroger and Microsoft are introducing technology that will interact with your smartphone and allow you to bypass the checkout.

The downside? It also allows Kroger to change prices instantly. 

Will famously technophobic Publix jump on the bandwagon? Stay tuned...

https://amp.businessinsider.com/kroger-microsoft-roll-out-digital-shelf-in-threat-to-amazon-2019-1

From Business Insider 

Unless something changes, Sears is planning to announce its liquodation this morning.

Although on the national level this will be huge, I have to admit all my warm fuzzies for the company went away with the demise of the East Colonial store. That, and the old downtown store on Orange Avenue were great parts of being a kid in Orlando. Oh, the toys!

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/01/06/sears-rejects-eddie-lamperts-bid-to-save-company-will-liquidate-.html

From CNBC

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Unless something changes, Sears is planning to announce its liquodation this morning.

Although on the national level this will be huge, I have to admit all my warm fuzzies for the company went away with the demise of the East Colonial store. That, and the old downtown store on Orange Avenue were great parts of being a kid in Orlando. Oh, the toys!

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/01/06/sears-rejects-eddie-lamperts-bid-to-save-company-will-liquidate-.html

From CNBC

Mine too.  I had a lot of warm fuzzies for this company and its adopted sister Kmart as they were the two stores I recall shopping in with my mom and dad in the 80's and 90's.  I'm more shocked to see just how systemic and intentional the demise of these companies appear to be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This will be filed under “the road not (or maybe even less)?traveled.

While everyone else is falling all over themselves to figure out how to make delivery of groceries work, Trader Joe’s has announced, “never mind”.

Effective immediately, they are discontinuing delivery in NYC and have no plans to start elsewhere. It will be interesting to s ee how it works for them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trader-joes-ends-grocery-delivery-2019-1

From Business Insider 

JCPenney is ditching the appliance business...again.

Supposedly, they’ve decided to concentrate on the “middle age mom” and rural customers going forward.

I can see them doing that as a specialty store but not as a department store.

I think they’re definitely destined to follow in the footsteps of Sears and Monkey Ward with that approach. Ironically, Ron Johnson, who got cast aside for being too aggressive in bringing JCP kicking and screaming into the 21st century, probably had the right idea.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/06/jc-penney-is-stopping-selling-appliances.html

From CNBC 

Edited by spenser1058

JCPenney is ditching the appliance business...again.
Supposedly, they’ve decided to concentrate on the “middle age mom” and rural customers going forward.
I can see them doing that as a specialty store but not as a department store.
I think they’re definitely destined to follow in the footsteps of Sears and Monkey Ward with that approach. ironically, Ron Johnson, who got cast aside for being too aggressive in bringing JCP kicking and screaming into the 21st century, probably had the right idea.
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/06/jc-penney-is-stopping-selling-appliances.html
From CNBC

I agree ... if JCP is still around in 5 years, it’ll be notably different than it is today.

This is 100% anecdotal, but ironically the thing that got me to step foot into a JCP for the first time in 20 years was when Johnson began revamping their home product lines and JCP started selling attractive, cohesive furniture lines that could compete with specialty retailers toe-to-toe. I was saddened when he was kicked to the curb so quickly. Then again, I’m not a middle aged mom, so I guess I wasn’t wanted as a shopper!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Scott J weighs in that the new SoDo Lucky’s is forcing the mega-Publix (at almost 60K sf, it’s about 1/3 larger than a normal Publix and about twice the size of the village formats at Shine, Eola and CP) to clean up its act and also offer more upscale products.

From the day it opened, it has always seemed as though Publix had no real idea how to manage that much space (and is probably why they rarely built that big afterward).

Given that much beloved northern grocer Wegman’s seems to thrive with stores that large or larger, the battle between the two chains in the Mid-Atlantic states should prove instructive.

One downside of Wegman’s size: they’re pretty much limited to the ‘burbs while Publix is testing stores even smaller than the Eola version.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4658-bullet-point-buffet-more-on-cinco-and-more-to-the-pointe

I first started going to Publix regularly when I was 16. Orange Park High had exploded with students (it was an Altamonte-ish suburb just south of Jax, also with a new mall about to open) and seniors could go off campus for lunch because the cafeteria was too small.

I quickly discovered the deli at the new Publix across the street. I also liked Publix because, back then, they had a directory on the wall in big letters in alphabetical order. That was huge when mom sent me after some item she’d forgotten because I didn’t have to wander aimlessly through the store looking for stuff.

Although my parents refused to give up Winn-Dixie, I was hooked.

A few years later, when I (along with my boss and his wife) moved to Nashville, we had to live without Publix and commiserated over how Kroger just didn’t cut it.

In the ‘80’s, Publix was on the cutting edge of grocery store technology while still keeping the great customer service. The fact it was headquartered in nearby Lakeland made folks feel like it was ours.

I’ve mentioned in previous posts here about how, sadly, the politics of today’s Publix is locked in a 1950’s Polk County mentality that I’ve become uncomfortable with.

Our Orlando stores have also been slow to keep up with the latest trends in shopping. While Publix has gone out of their way in newer stores to keep up as they push northward, here at home we’ve just become the cash cow financing expansion in places like Virginia. The prices have also started to get out of hand an “hi-lo” pricing should have gone the way of trading stamps.

Nevertheless, it was Publix that was the first grocery chain back downtown. Their associates are still the friendliest (the fact Publix is the largest employee-owned company no doubt helps).

Being a creature of habit, I’ve been slow to change. After the Adam Putnam debacle, though, I felt the need to do something.

Accordingly, I shifted to Target for all my non-fresh and non-frozen Items. Le Tarjay’s private label brands are every bit as good as Publix’ and are available in a lot more categories. Target’s also much cheaper than Publix.

Target’s grocery store is lacking so I couldn’t fully switch over, though.

Well, I finally got Lucky. As JFW has mentioned, a lot of our new upscale markets are more like “food boutiques” than supermarkets, with prices to match.

Lucky’s, with its Kroger influence, seems to be moderating that.

Best of all, where Publix refuses to even complete the HRC survey which measures willingness to support equal opportunity for customers and employees alike (heck, even conservative firms like Walmart and LLBean at least fill it out each year), Target gets a perfect score and Kroger pulls an above-average 90%. Lucky’s, specifically, hasn’t been measured yet, but given its roots in uber-progressive Boulder, it seems a good bet they’re on board also.

So, after almost 45 years, it’s goodbye to Publix. I hope to see changes and, as one of the region’s largest Fortune 500 companies, I hope they can thrive.

Nevertheless, I’m proud my shopping finally reflects my values again.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Almost sounds like you've broken up with no-good significant other. Welp, congrats & good riddance! And no judgement if you go running back again either :P. They don't like our "lifestyle" but they sure love our gay dollars!

I feel the same way about Chick-fil-a. I explained my "hunger srike" protest to a coworker after she noticed I wasn't eating and now my department stopped catering from Chick fil a (whenever possible). Every company puts its good face forward, but it's kinda sad that we still have to ask companies to kindly not discriminate lol. That said, we have to choose our battles because no one is perfect.

Edit... does math to figure out spencer's real age :tw_naughty:

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

“Let’s go Amazon-ing”? Jeff Bezos and company have apparently decided most of us can’t afford “Whole Paycheck” Market (or don’t want to) and are moving to another brand (as yet unnamed) with a lower price point.

This is separate from the soon to expand Amazon GO convenience stores.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/03/01/grocery-store-stocks-take-a-beating-on-report-that-amazon-will-launch-its-own-chain-of-supermarkets.html

From CNBC