Publix

Target stores are back up and running after a malfunction shut down POS terminals across the country for several hours.

Mysteriously, a similar mishap occurred exactly five years ago today.

Sunshine will be pleased that stores were passing out free Starbucks and other snacks during the downtime.

http://m.startribune.com/target-cash-registers-down-across-united-states-outage-pos/511350631/

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune

Since I passed up Publix’ non-fresh and non-frozen items in favor of Target, I’ve mostly been a happy camper and have been saving money both by my auto REDcard discount and cartwheel items.

Since Target has a perfect HRC score (Publix refuses to submit the form - given their politics it’s understandable).

I was interested to note nite owl goes for saving even more (I assume) at Walmart but isn’t a fan of actually shopping there. I confess the SoDo SuperTarget seems to have opened just before Target’s big refresh and it’s looking a tad dated.

Target corporate has decided its primary target market is young millennial families. Since I most definitely am not one of those, I’m noticing several of my favorite brands like JKY boxer briefs and Harry’s soaps are being reduced or discontinued in favor of Target private labels sized and geared to the younger pups (also with polyester which I loathe). Slowly but surely, I’m becoming an anachronism as a customer which is an interesting phenomenon.

Oh well, life goes on...

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Since I passed up Publix’ non-fresh and non-frozen items in favor of Target, I’ve mostly been a happy camper and have been saving money both by my auto REDcard discount and cartwheel items.

Since Target has a perfect HRC score (Publix refuses to submit the form - given their politics it’s understandable).

I was interested to note nite owl goes for saving even more (I assume) at Walmart but isn’t a fan of actually shopping there. I confess the SoDo SuperTarget seems to have opened just before Target’s big refresh and it’s looking a tad dated.

Target corporate has decided its primary target market is young millennial families. Since I most definitely am not one of those, I’m noticing several of my favorite brands like JKY boxer briefs and Harry’s soaps are being reduced or discontinued in favor of Target private labels sized and geared to the younger pups (also with polyester which I loathe). Slowly but surely, I’m becoming an anachronism as a customer which is an interesting phenomenon.

Oh well, life goes on...

Let me know if you find a suitable replacement for those JKY boxer briefs...

• Like 1

Yep, I'm a happy Walmart Neighborhood shopper... during off-peak hours. I tend to buy all natural/organic products; they do exist at Walmart just in limited selections and you have to know where to look for them. I feel like the cost of one cart full of items at Walmart is the equivalent of 2-3 paper bags worth of items at Publix. I probably shop at Earth Fare like once a week... started reading the receipts and finally realized I was spending $6 for each serving of organic juice from the juice bar (the prices weren't posted). :shok:

10 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Let me know if you find a suitable replacement for those JKY boxer briefs...

Pair of Thieves, also sold at Target. Nothing's off limits here on Urban Planet lol.

• Like 2

The first local example of a remodeled Aldi opens in Casselberry onThursday:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/07/08/a-remodeled-orlando-area-aldis-location-will-reopen-thursday-morning

From the Orlando Weekly 

Aldi is a discounter so it will be interesting to see how they thread the needle between a more upscale shopping experience and lower prices.

It’s probably because I’m old but lately I’m tired of all the quirky rules that keep popping up online to get free shipping and stores that are at best meh and have employees that seem to have sucked on a few too many lemons. More and more, there seems to be something to be said for spending a little more and being happy.

I also felt much better about going to Miller’s Hardware to replace my electric can opener than I ever would have ordering it from amazon or going to Walmart.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:44 PM, HankStrong said:

My issue with Aldi is mostly based around the utter lack of cashiers.  I get that they are a discount place, but how do you have ONE cashier on weekdays between 4-6pm at the peak of weekday demand?

I also totally don't understand how that even saves them money. They clearly could have 2 lines going and still have a completely continuous flow of people, because plenty of people like myself don't go there as a result of the lines. I'd happily go to discount stores a whole lot more if they solve the line problem. And Sams Club did, with Scan N Go, and got me to drop my Costco membership.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made my third foray to the Maguire Target to pick up stuff today because they stock an item SoDo doesn’t.

A couple of things I noticed: first, since the redo Maguire seems brighter and cleaner than SoDo. Also, although the sample size is small since it’s only my third shot at picking up items, the guest services staff at Maguire seems better trained and just more friendly than SoDo. It’s like the difference between Publix and Sav-a-Lot or something. Since SoDo is a Super Target and Maguire isn’t, I don’t always get as wide a choice on where to go but I definitely prefer Maguire when it’s an option.

I also notice the Pizza Hut on Maguire is doing a lunch buffet for $4.99 during the week (you do have to buy a drink). Back in the dark ages in Nashville after century rides we used to blow away the buffet at Pizza Inn near Vandy with four hungry cyclists chowing down so it would be like a blast from the past (I’m not a fan of CiCi’s).

Sadly, I probably couldn’t eat nearly as many slices now but it might be fun after riding back from NSB.

Edited by spenser1058

I made my third foray to the Maguire Target to pick up stuff today because they stock an item SoDo doesn’t.

A couple of things I noticed: first, since the redo Maguire seems brighter and cleaner than SoDo. Also, although the sample size is small since it’s only my third shot at picking up items, the guest services staff at Maguire seems better trained and just more friendly than SoDo. It’s like the difference between Publix and Sav-a-Lot or something. Since SoDo is a Super Target and Maguire isn’t, I don’t always get as wide a choice on where to go but I definitely prefer Maguire when it’s an option.

I also notice the Pizza Hut on Maguire is doing a lunch buffet for $4.99 during the week (you do have to buy a drink). Back in the dark ages in Nashville after century rides we used to blow awaythe buffet at Pizza Inn near Vandy with four hungry cyclists chowing down so it would be like a blast from the past (I’m not a fan of CiCi’s).

Sadly, I probably I couldn’t eat nearly as many slices now but it might be fun after riding back from NSB.

I understand that location does major pickup business with Baldwin Park around the corner. 

• Like 1

This isn't really about Publix. The Jaxson has a great article on Winn-Dixie and how the origins of the Jacksonville Mayo are tied to it. I'm sure this is old news to Spenser, but it was new to me.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/the-story-of-bringing-mayo-clinic-to-jacksonville/

It is 2 part, click thru at the bottom of the page.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

This isn't really about Publix. The Jaxson has a great article on Winn-Dixie and how the origins of the Jacksonville Mayo are tied to it. I'm sure this is old news to Spenser, but it was new to me.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/the-story-of-bringing-mayo-clinic-to-jacksonville/

It is 2 part, click thru at the bottom of the page.

The Davis brothers had their fingers in pies all over Jacksonville (my first ex’ dad worked for AHL insurance which they also owned a chunk of).

More’s the pity of the fall from grace when things passed on to Dano and the kids, not unlike what we’re seeing with the Frances over in Daytona.

Fun facts: Winn-Dixie started in Miami and moved to Jax while Burger King started in Jax and moved to Miami.

One of the Davis brothers (I can’t remember which one at the moment) wrote a history of the company and family some years ago, “Don’t Make A&P Mad”. At the time W-D was still on the rise. The interesting part is that there’s almost no mention of Publix in the book as the author didn’t think they much mattered as they were movin’ on up. Of course, Publix would end up blowing W-D away.

Sam Walton of Walmart fame also took a spot on the Winn-Dixie board and managed to use that experience to launch his company in the grocery business which also led to the demise of the Davis’ crown jewel.

Why Target works and why small Targets are working best of all:

https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/targets-small-format-stores-are-its-biggest-weapon-against-amazon-walmart.html

From Inc.

The article notes there may be as many as 30 of the smaller stores coming this year - could UCF/VD snag one?

The other thing. I noticed in the story about how well-curated the smaller stores are: in its description of the new location at MSU, it sounds amazingly like what Miller’s Hardware in WP has done to cater to the Rollins kids. Just one more reason, I suppose, why Miller’s doesn’t worry much about the Home Depot on Lee Road eating their lunch.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over on SSC, “Reality” pooh-poohs the benighted Orlandoans who simply refuse to shop at the overpriced Earth Fare on Gore.

He (she/they) does this by comparing Publix, once called the “country club of grocery stores”, to a dollar store. Never mind the fact that Publix is regularly at the top of customer satisfaction surveys that rarely see the likes of Earth Fare.

I have my challenges with Publix as I’ve stated before, but, just as with Chick-Fil-A, which just passed In & Out as America’s most well-regarded fast food chain, politics stuck in the 1950’s don’t keep a business from providing a quality service (for the record, EF hadn’t responded to the HRC survey the last time I checked, either).

What’s humorous to me is that, in the same week where the poster derided the creation of 14000 jobs at a minimum of $15/hour by Universal as the tool of Wall Street, (s)he/they swoons at a grocery owned by a private equity fund. PEFs have destroyed more retailers and more jobs in the US than anyone (start with Sears and head on down through dozens of failed brands).

As this article from Salon about the demise of luxe foodster Dean & DeLuca notes, debt is the enemy of grocers everywhere:

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/03/inside-the-downfall-of-dean-deluca-a-once-dazzling-luxury-food-store-dims-its-lights/

What’s even more amazing is that Publix is the country’s largest employee-owned company. As a result, Publix’ profits, among the highest among food chains, go back not only to the owners but also to the workers.

I will never set foot in Earth Fare as long as it’s owned by a private equity fund as a result. As Hank mentioned in his response on SSC, the fact that EF is pricier than other natural foods grocers like Lucky’s Market or Publix’ own GreenWise makes the decision to stay away even more basic.

The post also notes EF is “doubling” the number of stores. That would take it from 50 to 100. Compare that with Publix’ 1200 stores. EF has also seen an unusual amount of churn in the last 10 years or so, often closing multiple locations at a time. That doesn’t bode well for stability.

Finally, as Jernigan noted on another thread, Publix is #91 on the Fortune 500, making it one of the country’s largest companies. That cash stream is headed to our local economy in nearby Lakeland, not to Texas or wherever the Bass brothers are residing these days. As we’ve discussed before, having companies headquartered here is the best possible result for the local area because it means its leaders are much more likely to invest in the community’s success.

Bottom line: the building at Orange and Gore is an attractive addition to the neighborhood and a nearby grocery is a welcome amenity. It makes perfect sense, however, for we silly Orlandoans to walk on by the one chosen to anchor the development.

Edited by spenser1058

Over on SSC, “Reality” pooh-poohs the benighted Orlandoans who simply refuse to shop at the overpriced Earth Fare on Gore.

He (she/they) does this by comparing Publix, once called the “country club of grocery stores”, to a dollar store. Never mind the fact that Publix is regularly at the top of customer satisfaction surveys that rarely see the likes of Earth Fare.

I have my challenges with Publix as I’ve stated before, but, just as with Chick-Fil-A, which just passed In & Out as America’s most well-regarded fast food chain, politics stuck in the 1950’s don’t keep a business from providing a quality service (for the record, EF hadn’t responded to the HRC survey the last time I checked, either).

What’s humorous to me is that, in the same week where the poster derided the creation of 14000 jobs at a minimum of $15/hour by Universal as the tool of Wall Street, (s)he/they swoons at a grocery owned by a private equity fund. PEFs have destroyed more retailers and more jobs in the US than anyone (start with Sears and head on down through dozens of failed brands).

As this article from Salon about the demise of luxe foodster Dean & DeLuca notes, debt is the enemy of grocers everywhere:

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/03/inside-the-downfall-of-dean-deluca-a-once-dazzling-luxury-food-store-dims-its-lights/

What’s even more amazing is that Publix is the country’s largest employee-owned company. As a result, Publix’ profits, among the highest among food chains, go back not only to the owners but also to the workers.

I will never set foot in Earth Fare as long as it’s owned by a private equity fund as a result. As Hank mentioned in his response on SSC, the fact that EF is pricier than other natural foods grocers like Lucky’s Market or Publix’ own GreenWise makes the decision to stay away even more basic.

The post also notes EF is “doubling” the number of stores. That would take it from 50 to 100. Compare that with Publix’ 1200 stores. EF has also seen an unusual amount of churn in the last 10 years or so, often closing multiple locations at a time. That doesn’t bode well for stability.

Finally, as Jernigan noted on another thread, Publix is #91 on the Fortune 500, making it one of the country’s largest companies. That cash stream is headed to our local economy in nearby Lakeland, not to Texas or wherever the Bass brothers are residing these days. As we’ve discussed before, having companies headquartered here is the best possible result for the local area because it means its leaders are much more likely to invest in the community’s success.

Bottom line: the building at Orange and Gore is an attractive addition to the neighborhood and a nearby grocery is a welcome amenity. It makes perfect sense, however, for we silly Orlandoans to walk on by the one chosen to anchor the development.

Sorry, but I never go to SSC as I don't need to witness one particular lunatic yelling in his dark closet. However, I have a few comments on this subject.

Other than the fact they all sell groceries there is not a lot in common with all the stores you mentioned. Publix doesn't hold a candle to EF in the organic line of food, just like EF doesn't compare to Publix in selection of household products or pet care products. Publix is much more of a one stop, something for everyone, market to the masses store. EF is narrowly focused and provides a much more defined product mix than Publix or Lucky's. The closest comparable in the area to EF would be Sprouts. Apparently there are many people willing to spend extra on products they view as superior regardless of the validity of their views. 

I really don't understand your position on private equity. It seems you position every single firm  in the same basket. I don't feel that is the case. PE owned companies still produce jobs and push along the economy and most of them succeed. They are not much different than any public held company, they just have a narrower group of controlling interest. I do appreciate your views on ownership with backwards thinking views, but then you give them an "out" because you like their product (Publix and Chick-Fil-A), but you'd never set foot in a PE owned company (Versace, GoDaddy, Lyft, Burger King, Brookstone, Petco...).