Jump to content

Recommended Posts


I shopped at that EF and regularly shop at Publix, ALDI (at least occasionally on a regular-ish basis), and Lucky's.

I shop at Lucky's for products that are either not found or are cost-prohibitive at Publix or ALDI, so I know what I purchase at there, why I purchase it there, and how much it costs.  I didn't really find much at EF that I couldn't purchase at Lucky's and I found nothing that I personally wished Lucky's would stock, but didn't.  I found them to be very similar in product composition, albeit the EF seemed to have a much larger health/beauty section, an area I don't really care much about.  EF also had a very nice honey bar, although I doubt you could base shopping at a store for honey if you aren't Winnie the Pooh.  The pricing was way off at EF on my products.  I haven't chosen to return, but I only choose where to spend my dollars, not anyone else's dollars.

Plus, you know, Lucky's has great bacon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I shopped at that EF and regularly shop at Publix, ALDI (at least occasionally on a regular-ish basis), and Lucky's.

I shop at Lucky's for products that are either not found or are cost-prohibitive at Publix or ALDI, so I know what I purchase at there, why I purchase it there, and how much it costs.  I didn't really find much at EF that I couldn't purchase at Lucky's and I found nothing that I personally wished Lucky's would stock, but didn't.  I found them to be very similar in product composition, albeit the EF seemed to have a much larger health/beauty section, an area I don't really care much about.  EF also had a very nice honey bar, although I doubt you could base shopping at a store for honey if you aren't Winnie the Pooh.  The pricing was way off at EF on my products.  I haven't chosen to return, but I only choose where to spend my dollars, not anyone else's dollars.

Plus, you know, Lucky's has great bacon.

mmmmmm BACON 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hank, when you go Krogering to pick up more unicorn sparkle ice cream, please leave your gun at home.

No word yet from Publix if you want to restart the Barber Mizell feud.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/03/business/kroger-open-carry/index.html

From CNN

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber–Mizell_feud

BTW, the Westerns have nothing on Cracker Florida for shootouts and such, we just never got the attention Hollywood gave to the Earps, Jesse James, etc.

 

Edited by spenser1058

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to ride my bike on the frontage road by that Golf Course. Technically not Palmetto, but there is a bunch of old pasture land and nursery land on Mocassin Wallow Road (great name, huh?) that they are turning into suburbia McMansions in the middle of nowhere. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I’ve had an awful chest cold this week and have been sucking down daytime cold gels to keep from coughing up my insides.

At Target, their 24- tablet pack is $3.99 (before Target Circle and REDcard discounts).

Yesterday, I ran out and wasn’t in the mood to schlep to SoDo to get more. So I wandered in to Publix.

Their comparable product, same size, was $5.99! And no additional discounts!

Now, yes, Publix stores are nicer and the associates more friendly and they’re usually closer. So I expected an extra quarter or something. But a 50% markup! That’s absurd. And Target doesn’t compete primarily on price, either. JFW’s DGX (if you got lucky and it was in stock) would likely have been cheaper yet.

Publix has recently become known for being one of the most profitable grocery chains in the country. Guess we know why.

It wasn’t always this way. Publix had a deserved premium but it was reasonable. They’ve gone crazy in Lakeland.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just purely based on diminishing service Publix has gone from nearly 95% of grocery/household purchases (we would make a Walmart run every 6 months or so to stock up on cheap cleaning supplies and canned goods) about 5 years ago to a bit less than 20% of our purchases.  I watch their BOGO items for things we use and just go make a quick run to snag them.   I will pick up last minute meat there if we need it.  We shop at ALDI and Lucky's sometimes, too.

I've started using the Target/Walmart pickup service mainly because that means I don't actually have to go inside and shop.  I bought a large freezer and started buying my meat in bulk (only at the end of hurricane season to minimize potential loss) from local suppliers.  I found http://www.eatwild.com/products/florida.html to be an excellent tool.  We use Cavallari and Orlando Meats, as well.  Local Butcher & Market (the Ravenous Pig folks), Freshfield Farms, Star Meats & Produce, and Petty's are ones we need to try more from, but only have limited & small batch experience with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Publix Pricing Head Scratcher of the Week:

As we know, I gave up buying packaged goods at Publix last year for reasons that had nothing to do with grocery shopping.

My go to place for such things now is Target where Drive Up makes life easy (E. Colonial does this much better than SoDo and is much friendlier, I’ve found, if you happen to live downtown, but has less grocery selection).

Anyway, as Dolly Parton announced in Steel Magnolias, iced tea it the “house wine of the South”. As such, I was raised on it.

Imagine my shock when I noticed the Eola Publix is once again stocking Family Size Lipton Tea Bags (48 bags) for $6.49. Really? At Target, they’re $3.99!

Falling deep into the throes of ALEC seems to have addled the brains of our friends in Lakeland. Excellent customer service is one thing but an almost 40% markup? That’s just... I don’t know what that is.

Publix has been noted as the most profitable large grocery chain in the country for a few years now. Guess we know why.

Edited by spenser1058

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Eola Publix refresh is definitely under way now with a big sign noting adjusted hours while it’s underway.

The produce section has already been updated. Along the walls looks much the same but the new shelves out along the floor have a much improved display.

This week’s price outrage: the Publix brand EV olive oil is $5.99 for the 17 oz. bottle. Target’s is $3.99.

Maybe with BOGOs it works out but who can tell? If Wegman’s can go to everyday low prices, Publix should be able to.

 

Edited by spenser1058

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a single guy who only cooks 3-4 times a week, Publix is fine.  I walk there once a week with my two reusable bags.  Buy only things that are on sale or BOGO.  Stop at Freshfield on the walk home, add any other meats or veggies I need.  Works fine for me.  $50/week generally.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 1:53 PM, spenser1058 said:

The Eola Publix refresh is definitely under way now with a big sign noting adjusted hours while it’s underway.

The produce section has already been updated. Along the walls looks much the same but the new shelves out along the floor have a much improved display.

This week’s price outrage: the Publix brand EV olive oil is $5.99 for the 17 oz. bottle. Target’s is $3.99.

Maybe with BOGOs it works out but who can tell? If Wegman’s can go to everyday low prices, Publix should be able to.

 

They’ve increased their grab and go items up front. It’s actually quite impressive. I’ve never seen the selection they have their at any other publix. There’s a wide arrange of premium looking sides, quick lunch/dinner and larger entrees. Prices range from $6.99 - $24.99. They all are packed in a eco-friendly “looking” package. This is all in addition to the other stuff they’ve always had. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it really be the holidays in Florida without the Publix Christmas commercial?

https://youtu.be/30Wm5kzZhEw

And (from the days when Publix was only a Florida chain), the very first in the genre:

https://youtu.be/33kp7YTdQi0

Hank likes this one best because it has a train!

Two other notable differences:

• Check out the evolution of the logo;

• Note the company’s move to the right in its tag lines: in the ‘80’s, they used the inclusive, “Happy Holidays From Publix”. This year it’s “Merry Christmas”.

As a private company, Publix is of course free to celebrate as it chooses. It’s interesting, however, that as Walmart expanded beyond its rural base it has become more inclusive. Publix, perhaps because the large Jewish population in its South Florida market is no longer as big a part of its business since the firm has grown into more conservative states, has gone in the other direction.

One other irony there is that the home base in Lakeland  is becoming more progressive with each passing election.

@prahaboheme picked up on that before I did. Great call!

 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I decided to check prices at SuperTarget vs. Publix on fresh items:

Russett baking potatoes: (P) $1.29/lb (T) 0.75/lb; Ground beef: (P) $3.99/lb (T) $3.39/lb. A nice thing about hamburger is the standard size at Target is 1 lb (which a lot of recipes call for). At the Eola Publix at least, for some odd reason they always seem to package it in larger amounts which makes me crazy. Yes, since Publix has butchers on site, they can break it down for you, but they rarely act pleased when I ask them to do it.

Generally, produce prices were lower at Target and they regularly carry beefsteak tomatoes (best for BLTs). The Eola Publix often doesn’t for some reason.

I also get an extra 5% off at checkout using my REDcard and today, I got a $10 Target gift card for spending $50 on food.

It’s been hard giving up 45 years of shopping at Publix for the lower prices and (for me) the warm, fuzzy feeling of shopping with a company that shares my values.

Obviously, you might go the other way on that. Nevertheless, I am slowly but surely moving past my initial cognitive dissonance and am a step closer to the nirvana of someday finding everything I need in one place. Life is good.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This week’s “what is Publix thinking?” price comparison with Target. Neither were on sale.

Tartar sauce: Market Pantry (Target store brand): $1.49  (plus 5% discount for using my REDcard).

Publix (the Publix brand was more so I went with what was lowest): $2.69.

Pleasurable shopping is getting more and more expensive. Apparently, it works though because the P still has the biggest grocery market share in Central Florida.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 9:05 AM, HankStrong said:

Just purely based on diminishing service Publix has gone from nearly 95% of grocery/household purchases (we would make a Walmart run every 6 months or so to stock up on cheap cleaning supplies and canned goods) about 5 years ago to a bit less than 20% of our purchases.  I watch their BOGO items for things we use and just go make a quick run to snag them.   I will pick up last minute meat there if we need it.  We shop at ALDI and Lucky's sometimes, too.

I've started using the Target/Walmart pickup service mainly because that means I don't actually have to go inside and shop.  I bought a large freezer and started buying my meat in bulk (only at the end of hurricane season to minimize potential loss) from local suppliers.  I found http://www.eatwild.com/products/florida.html to be an excellent tool.  We use Cavallari and Orlando Meats, as well.  Local Butcher & Market (the Ravenous Pig folks), Freshfield Farms, Star Meats & Produce, and Petty's are ones we need to try more from, but only have limited & small batch experience with.

Going along with that, in our family Publix is probably down to like 10% of our shopping now that Amazon Fresh is in the mix.

ALDI has picked up some of our business from Lucky's (RIP) and I'm slowly trying more and more things from Amazon Fresh.

Freshfield Farms has gotten more of our business, as well.  But they aren't an option for everyone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Going along with that, in our family Publix is probably down to like 10% of our shopping now that Amazon Fresh is in the mix.
ALDI has picked up some of our business from Lucky's (RIP) and I'm slowly trying more and more things from Amazon Fresh.
Freshfield Farms has gotten more of our business, as well.  But they aren't an option for everyone.

We’ve just been paralyzed since Lucky’s closed and have just decided to eat out every meal rather than try to figure out where to shop.

Bo Sharon, are you reading this?!?!?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.